Dandruff???

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whenever I brush Isis (russian blue colour) I brush with the fur then against it...and i alway get like dandruff...or flakes... they arent big but there small and its alot... it looks like someone sprinkiled thick baby powder on her
she eats good quality food wellness wet and wellness dry switched with chicken soup for the kitten lovers soul dry... what can this be???

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is entirely possible that your cat is allergic to chicken. Try another protein source, and another brand of cat food with more oil in it (California Natural did wonders for Gizmo's coat and I can recommend Nature's Logic even more highly; both brands are available in dry and wet versions.)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

It is entirely possible that your cat is allergic to chicken. Try another protein source, and another brand of cat food with more oil in it (California Natural did wonders for Gizmo's coat and I can recommend Nature's Logic even more highly; both brands are available in dry and wet versions.)
That is exactly what I was going to say but you beat me to it. Natural Balance I think it's called has a vennison and peas food I think. Check that one out too.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
California Natural has Herring and Sweet Potato food in cans and dry.

I am using Nature's Logic Rabbit Dinner, which does wonders for Gizmo's coat and health. This is also available in dry or canned versions. I like it since there are no chemically synthesized vitamins.

Nature's Prairie (no relation ) also makes a canned rabbit food. Rabbit is close to the cat's natural prey. Gizmo was happily eating the new food in five minutes, so there's no 'crossover' time even with finicky cats.

Good luck!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to look at what kitty has eaten and what the others said find a new protein.... I wouldnt suggest fish as it is THE number 1 allergy in cats.... I actually suspect your cat needs higher fatty acids
... but I will outline the likely allergens also
Careful with rabbit as I found it to not have enough taurine( make sure the can adds more than the cans with chn , beef
) ..... Venison is good if kitty will eat it ... Lamb will work for some ... Duck is another if they eat

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 30.0% Minimum
Crude Fat 20.0% Minimum
Crude Fiber 4.0% Maximum
Moisture 10.0% Maximum
Ash 6.5% Maximum
Magnesium 0.1% Maximum
Zinc 120 mg/kg Minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum
Vitamin E 300 IU/kg Minimum
Taurine 0.15% Minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.2% Minimum I have found most cats coats look best at 3% or above
Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.4% Minimum

* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profile.

Calorie Content: 3,922 kcal/kg (367 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy.

AAFCO Statement
Animal feeding tests using Association of American Feed Control Officials procedures substantiate that Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul Adult Cat Formula provides complete and balanced nutrition for the maintenance of adult cats.
Ingredients
Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), ocean fish meal, white rice, potatoes, oatmeal, millet, natural chicken flavor, salmon, turkey, duck, flaxseed, sodium bisulfate, egg product, methionine, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dried chicory root, taurine, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

You may just want to find a basic chn and rice or alternate protein and grain with high fatty acids...

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a quote from the Nature's Logic website:

All Natureâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Logicâ„¢ Diets contain adequate levels of EPA and DHA due to the high inclusion rate of animal origin ingredients. They also exceed the following protein amino acid minimums listed in the AAFCO nutrient profiles for dogs and cats: Arginine, Histidine, Isoleucine Leucine, Lysine, Methionine-cystine, Methionine, Phenylalanine-tyrosine, Phenylalanine, Taurine, Threonine, Trytophan, and Valine.
I am confident that this food is good and the manufacturers are telling the truth.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Here is a quote from the Nature's Logic website:

I am confident that this food is good and the manufacturers are telling the truth.
glad you are ... that looks good just passing on info that I have gathered from various sources including the two vets I use ... You do realize that staement mean s no tests were done
... I would actual try this if it were avail near me

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, they've just completed their AAFCO tests. The explanation (that I got from the head of the company) was that they weren't providing the same vitamin D level that AAFCO recommended. The reason for this was that they do not use chemically synthesized vitamin D and do not want the cat to overdose on it. There is a link on their site to an article showing how some dogs were poisoned this year by too much vitamin D in their food. I think Gizmo gets her vitamin D from the sun, same way I do! and she's really thriving on the food.

It's available online through petfooddirect; you can also get it through amazon.com (and my review of the food is on that site.)

cheers

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which rabbit foods did your vets not recommend? Or was it raw rabbit that they warned against? If it's the latter, I heartily agree...I don't believe that a raw or homemade diet is necessarily better than a well formulated cat food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Which rabbit foods did your vets not recommend? Or was it raw rabbit that they warned against? If it's the latter, I heartily agree...I don't believe that a raw or homemade diet is necessarily better than a well formulated cat food.
It was more of a make sure to rotate since rabbit has no taurine.. I feed one dry food( her choice) one raw/ canned and one raw so I get a gamut of info thrown at me..lol.. My 18 yr old like rabbit raw and canned but I rotate it

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Evanger's rabbit meat canned food is for dogs, and will not have any taurine. Wysong's Rabbit Au Jus is only meat and also should be used only as a supplement. The other brands are fine.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Evanger's rabbit meat canned food is for dogs, and will not have any taurine. Wysong's Rabbit Au Jus is only meat and also should be used only as a supplement. The other brands are fine.
Meat is meat and it is suttable with supplementation for cat or dog ...