Food problems

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have people contact me from god knows where with their cat problems... So I just got an email from a person earlier who has a stray cat she took in, neutered, vaccinated and tested. Positive for FIV. Anyways she is having problems getting him and her other cat to eat cat food. The FIV cat Erik loves gravy, so when fed wet food he loves the gravy in it, but leaves the rest. He eats a little dry food. She would like a suggestion of some food she can offer for finicky cats. Preferably a good wet food that most cats seem to like. I thought about seeing if he likes tuna and she can buy a wet food like Solid Gold wet which I think is tuna. It looks like people tuna and since it is so smelly he might like it.

Her other cat, Vivi, she is feeding boiled chicken thighs and she cooks it with a tomato, some carrots, a litte salt and a leaf of cabbage. The chicken may be alright, but that is all the cat gets. Are cabbage, carrots and tomato even good for a cat? I need to help this woman quick, any suggestions? If any one knows the negative effects of the diet she is feeding Vivi, please tell me so I can tell her.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tomato is in the nightshade family and can be toxic (in large doses) to cats. In smaller doses, tomato can cause stomach upset, diarrhea and vomiting. I would suggest that if she wants to continue feeding the chicken to her cat, omit the tomato. Forgetting the salt wouldn't be a bad idea either. Both can be added after the cat's portion is removed.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Tomato is in the nightshade family and can be toxic (in large doses) to cats. In smaller doses, tomato can cause stomach upset, diarrhea and vomiting. I would suggest that if she wants to continue feeding the chicken to her cat, omit the tomato. Forgetting the salt wouldn't be a bad idea either. Both can be added after the cat's portion is removed.
/// as for the other , well cats by nature only need 3-5% veggies or veggie matter... Plus that is far from balenced for a cat .. The cat would need a viatimin mineral supplement , organ meat , possibley a grain or starch.. all the homeade diet have one ... I dont have the link at my fingertips but I will post it soon ...

I am not sure but L Lysine may be something for her to ask the vet about
Wet foods
Solid gold the tuna is great ...

Meow mix in the pouches also is decent and smells yummy to kittys...

Ask her if she mashes the chunks in gravy so the cat will eat the chunks

keeba

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
tomato can be toxic to cats? My kitten's food contains "Tomato Pomace" .. so is that bad? Why would they include it?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keeba

tomato can be toxic to cats? My kitten's food contains "Tomato Pomace" .. so is that bad? Why would they include it?
It is the green parts of the tomato that are posionus .. tomato pumace is the skin