Does anyone live or has ever lived in Japan?

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I am considering going to Japan next year to teach English and I am looking into what would be the best thing to do with my cats.

I would LOVE to bring them with me but my first concern is that they'd have to go through 2 weeks quarantine.

Also... how hard is it to find an apartment where cats are accepted? Are pet cats very common in Japan? Would I have a good chance of finding a good English-speaking vet?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not going to be much help about the kitties, but this website http://www.jlist.com/ is by an American transplant living in Japan.* He does a daily blog about the culture and has some wonderful insights.

My Mom lived in Japan for four years, but when she lived there she had a dog. It wasn't hard for her to find an English speaking vet, but she lived in an area that was heavily influenced by Western culture. What I'd do is get in contact with a teacher already living there and ask some questions. Many of the recruiters that will send you there will give you an e-mail address or two of people who are there now.

Good luck! I hope all goes well for you.

*If you enter in the 18 and over section be prepared to find some items that may displease you. If you are sensitive to these things click on the 18 and under link.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh you are teaching English in Japan! That is cool, my boyfriend considered doing it for awhile there. He is/was an English/Writing major. Has one semester or so left of school. Not to butt in to your thread, I love Japan and would really like to go there someday. Plus Saki is excellent!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How i never lived there, i have been there alot. My wife brother and my cousin are both married to japanese women. Both have cats and dogs. how ever i would not say pets are common, non of the other people i know there have pets. Space is very limited.
I hope they pay well japan is not cheap to visit or to live.

but i would go in heartbeat. could be a great chance.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ugh!! I would love to go to Japan! I had an opportunity when I was in high school but I stayed home alll alone (you can only imagine what happened!) and it's the biggest decision in my life I regret!

My parents just came back from there a week ago- they had a ton of fun! It was my dad's 3rd & my mom's 2nd time.

I envy you! If only I could eat Japanese every day

Sorry I have no answers to your questions but I couldn't help responding

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Originally Posted by Jen

Oh you are teaching English in Japan! That is cool, my boyfriend considered doing it for awhile there. He is/was an English/Writing major. Has one semester or so left of school. Not to butt in to your thread, I love Japan and would really like to go there someday. Plus Saki is excellent!
I just noticed... you're one post short of 3,000.

I'm still undecided about where to go... Korea would be another option. But with Japan, I have the advantage that I know someone who was there for years and he can refer me to the school he was working at.
Apparently it's really easy to find a job teaching in Japan. All you need is a university degree. And apparently they pay really well too.