The Christmas thread

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know Christmas isnt for about another 3 months but its going to go really fast.
I am being very savy because of all the bills ive got so i am planning my xmas really carefully.
My mum is giving me most of the xmas decorations as she wont be able to put up a tree this year
so ive saved alot on money just on that part!

Bf and i were discussing about xmas today so this is why im sharing this thread with you guys!

So the germans celebrate xmas differently, they put the tree up on xmas eve, have a big dinner and open their presents. Then they relax on xmas day.
Bf's mum has invited me to go over there for xmas eve since i will be most likely alone.
Then on Xmas day bf and I have planned that we will cook at my place and celebrate the "english" Christmas.

So now i have no idea what to cook, i am making cake and potatoes and veggies, but i dont think making a whole big turkey is worth it.

So what have you got planned this xmas? What will you be cooking? and what kind of presents are you giving to your spouses?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as presents- I'm looking for a second job at the moment...so i'm strapped on cash....but i'm a saver/wise spender- so i'm sure i'll come up with something. I'll probably make a lot of stuff too!

Cooking- Here's what i know for sure i'm making at the moment for Christmas:
Ham (I make AWESOME ham!!) - I do ham instead of Turkey for Christmas...because two large turkeys within two months (thanksgiving, and christmas) is a bit much) , candied yams, pumpkin fluff dip with gingerbread cookies, cream corn caserole, and as far as the rest goes, i'm not sure yet but i will let you know closer to christmas!

I'm also HUGE on decorating!!!!!!!!

-by the way, I celebrate Christmas the same way as you!!!! That's exciting to see someone else who celebrates on Christmas eve

----we usually put our tree up the day after Thanksgiving (it's a family tradition)....and we open all Christmas presents on Christmas eve...and save one for Christmas day. We do stockings on Christmas day also. Christmas eve is when we do a big family dinner usually. Christmas day we all lounge around a bit and enjoy each others company and eat leftovers

Usually on Christmas day, we go see a holiday movie at the movie theaters...that and Walgreens are the only thing opened around here on Christmas day. It's sooo much fun!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well i never opened mine on xmas eve because thats just not my tradition, santa comes on xmas eve to deliver presents!!

I am filling up 4 Stockings:
One for the kitties,
one for bf
one for his family
and one for my parents!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I know Christmas isnt for about another 3 months but its going to go really fast.
I am being very savy because of all the bills ive got so i am planning my xmas really carefully.
I also, must be very savy and plan well. Money just doesn't go as far as it used to.

My mum is giving me most of the xmas decorations as she wont be able to put up a tree this year
so ive saved alot on money just on that part!
That IS a big plus! Decorations can get expensive. I've been collecting mine since I was 18 years old. (I guess that makes it about 30 years... eeek!)

So the germans celebrate xmas differently, they put the tree up on xmas eve, have a big dinner and open their presents. Then they relax on xmas day.
This is basically how we celebrated Christmas when I was growing up. Of course, my paternal grandmother was Polish and my paternal grandfather was Austrian (his mother was Austrian and father German). He lived in Germany until they came to America.

Christmas Eve we'd put up the tree. Then all the relatives on my dads side, gathered later that night. Man, they were a late bunch! Lots of food and partying. In the early days, we'd open gifts. That went by the wayside when it got to expensive to buy everyone gifts.Anyway, my family were all big drinkers, very loud and the men loved cigars. The children were always in the basement, where the tree was. I was the organizer and always produced a nativity play with my siblings and cousins. Then when we were ready, we'd set up chairs and the adults would be required to come down and admire the fruits of our labors!
After the relatives left, very late at night, we would get to open gifts from each other. My sisters and I would lay under the Christmas tree and sing Caroles. Actually I think this was a good way for us to unwind after a rather stimulating evening.

Christmas morning we had a big breakfast and opened gifts from St. Nick. Then the partying started all over again. Only this time, at my paternal grandparents home. Oh Lordy, I remember every year having a headache on Christmas Day. Just lots of noisey people, food and cigarette and cigar smoke. I was so glad to come home early evening and just relax with my new toys. Not to mention the fresh air!

Now of course, the family is smaller and many of the old timers are gone. And we are all spread about the country, so christmas isn't as predictable any longer. And I have to share my children with SO's. I live 1,800 miles from the rest of my family so when my daughters have other plans with their SO's, I get very lonely and depressed Christmas day.

The other different thing is that I have to put my tree up early now. I love Christmas trees and like to enjoy it for an extended period! We'll have to dig out the Christmas decorations thread from the archives, when the time comes!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're not sure exactly where we'll be for Christmas this year. When Dh and I have spent holidays alone we'll do a turkey breast dinner instead of a whole turkey. Normally it's going to the candle light service at church Christmas Eve and then spending the day with family. When we're in NY for Christmas, Christmas Eve is with my Dad's family and always includes my cousin and I eating shrimp in butter and Gram's homemade coctail sauce! Christmas day is a whole big shindig at my other Grandmother's. That always includes my Grandmother hollering about once an hour for everyone to get out of her kitchen!
Both include lots of deserts and tradititional cookies and things.

Typically we draw names with his family for gift giving among the adults with DH's family. We all spoil the kids. I like to try to find unusual things for them at the big craft fair my mom and I attend every year. That should be coming soon too! As far as my family, I give presents to my grandparents, aunts and uncles combined and some of my cousins. DH and I usually set a price limit for eachother. Of course we usually exceed it a bit too, but oh well!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll usually start decorating the house about the 1st of december but the tree I don't usually getuntil the 15th. I don't have Christmas club this year so I have been picking up some items over the summer as I see them. I have gotten gifts for several people that way already.
My sis is drivng to WI instead of flying (17 hrs) due to the high cost of the tickets plus she has a senior cat with health problems so I'm sure she will bring both of hers (eek!!) Mom and dad will probably come on th24th depending of the weather. Its been a tradition to go tomy fav SIL's house eat lots of appetizers and then they open gifts. We exchange with them too.
Then just siting around talking, playing with grand nieces and nephews. We usually get home late-11:30 pm.
Go to church Christmas day then we open gifts. I'll try to have a brunch type casserole. I'm not sure if we will have turkey or ham yet. (Fran-look for a turkey breast only!!) With potatoes, stuffing (if turkey, gravy, rolls, other veggies and Christmas cookies for dessert. We then sit around examining gifts, having some wine, perhaps watching a movie. Resting up for the 26th which is the big sales!!! (didn't I get enough already???)

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since this is our first Christmas in our house together we have no decorations
So I don't think we'll be decorating here at all really- maybe some lights if I'm lucky. We have this big huge debate going on right now anyway- real or fake tree? I vote fake but Chad's allllllll for real and he's hard to argue with

We have a nice dinner and open gifts with my family Christmas Eve, then go to Chad's mom's Christmas morning, and then back to my parents for the extended family celebration, then to Chad's dad's for an evening Christmas!

This is really my first year bringing something other than the veggie tray to dinner
So I'm going to try making some Ginger Pumpkin Bread, hopefully it comes out good! It definetely looks good- I got the recipe out of Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine

maccat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
tree will go up as soon as we can buy them
lights and some decorations will go up mid november
christmas cards will go out 1st dec, to get everyone in the christmas mood
we are swapping the turkey for a goose but plenty of roast potatoes
have already started buying presents - although what do you get a cat that has everything?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well like Germany, the Spainish celebrate Christmas differently..........the fun all starts on 8th December and finishes on 6th Jan
needless to say that doesnt mean everything stops !

Gifts are not given by Santa but by the Three Kings and they have to wait until 6 Jan !
Most Spaniards have their celebration dinner on Christmas eve, usually after mid-night.
Theres no special format, like turkey, many have buffets, as this is easier for large families.

But traditions do vary across the country.
As a foreigner living here, I will join in the many fiestas and events that take place, but Christmas day will see my family on the beach !

Enjoy one and all

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love a traditional, family christmas
My place isn't big enough for family to visit so christmas is usually spent at my mum's (with me cooking christmas lunch) or at my sister and bro in law's. This year they are spending christmas with my brother in law's family and my mum has recently gone into a residential care home, so christmas will be a bit different. I will be staying with my other sister and niece, and we are hopefully taking my mum out to christmas lunch somewhere. I like cooking christmas lunch though, and always go for the traditional turkey, roast parsnips, sprouts (yum) etc. I love planning it in advance and working out what I'm going to do with everything.

We have always opened our main presents from santa and christmas stockings on christmas morning, but left the rest til after lunch (rarely before 4pm). The reasoning for that being that whoever is doing most of the cooking misses out on a lot of the present opening if they are all opened during the morning, and it's nice to have something to open later on instead of just slumping in front of the tv. We spend the rest of the day playing silly games and/or walking dogs if at sis and bro in laws. Mid evening we usually have a salad buffet with ham.

The only bad thing is that I always have to put my cats into a cattery so don't usually get to spend a christmas with them
It's also Mosi birthday on December 24th so he will spend his first birthday away from me
They do get presents from everyone though which we open when I get home.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Christmas entails me packing presents and cats into the car to stay with my parents and sister!

It's going to be just the same this year, but with and extra furry friend!
They always get more presents than anyone else too!

Christmas Eve, we have my Aunties and Uncle over for a meal, we'll play games and generally have a lot of fun and drink!

Susanne, we do our Christmas Day pretty much like you! Santa bits in the morning and tree presents later on - helps spread them out through the day and as we all help with the dinner, it's better!

My Dad will dash out to his allotment first thing Christmas morning to get the fresh veg ready for the meal - nothing like fresh off the plant sprouts!

I have managed to get quite a few presents already - so proud of myself!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

My Dad will dash out to his allotment first thing Christmas morning to get the fresh veg ready for the meal - nothing like fresh off the plant sprouts!
Yum - bet they taste great! I love my sprouts

Originally Posted by Sar

I have managed to get quite a few presents already - so proud of myself!
Me too
I've bought all the ones from the cats. First year I had cats I bought everyone a small cat themed present from Jaffa and Magpie. It's now become a bit of a nuisance trying to find cat related stuff. I know nobody would mind if it wasn't cat themed, but it's a sort of tradition now and I usually end up week before christmas desperately trying to find suitable pressies
Got them all sorted early this year

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

Yum - bet they taste great! I love my sprouts
Hopefully my Dad will have yet another fruitful crop this year and I might be able to smuggle some up to Mcr for you!
They really are so good!

Originally Posted by urbantigers

Me too
I've bought all the ones from the cats. First year I had cats I bought everyone a small cat themed present from Jaffa and Magpie. It's now become a bit of a nuisance trying to find cat related stuff. I know nobody would mind if it wasn't cat themed, but it's a sort of tradition now and I usually end up week before christmas desperately trying to find suitable pressies
Got them all sorted early this year
My lot give presents too, but not cat related - I can just imagine the difficulty of finding cat related items for everyone!
Glad you got it sorted earlier on though!

Such a sense of achievement when you're actually prepared, isn't it? My only worry is that I'll lose the bit's I have already when we move!

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't wait till Christmas...because we are finding out the gender of our baby right before Christmas!! So those couple of months are going to go by slowly....