Rescued cat w/litter...my first.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone! I'm a LONG time lurker and an infrequent poster.

About three months ago, someone abandoned a calico kitty, who promptly got pregnant. A concerned animal lover who couldn't care for the cats but couldn't stand to watch them go uncared for, posted online for help and advice. This morning, she and I spent over two hours looking for the kittens, and, with the momma cat's help (our last hope), we found them. Four precious, beautiful, flea-tick-worm & mite infested, freaked-out kittens. They'd never been touched by a person before and aren't real sure they want to be now.

I brought them to the local Humane Society and, while the cats were being vetted, completed the paperwork necessary to certify me as a foster mom. And tonight, the furry family is resting peacefully in my spare bedroom.

The kittens are about five weeks old. Other than the bugs *shudder*, they seem to be in good shape. The momma cat (I'm calling her Abby) is very skinny, though. I'm feeding her Innova kibbles and Nature's Variety raw medallions.

I've read the kitten info here and on other sites and I think I've pretty much got the basics. They'll definitely need some socialization. *whew* Is there anything that y'all think I should be aware of that's not necessarily covered in basic kitten care (especially kittens born in the "wild").

Thanks so much!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Hi, everyone! I'm a LONG time lurker and an infrequent poster.

About three months ago, someone abandoned a calico kitty, who promptly got pregnant. A concerned animal lover who couldn't care for the cats but couldn't stand to watch them go uncared for, posted online for help and advice. This morning, she and I spent over two hours looking for the kittens, and, with the mommo cat's help (our last hope), we found them. Four precious, beautiful, flea-tick-worm & mite infested, freaked-out kittens. They'd never been touched by a person before and aren't real sure they want to be now.

I brought them to the local Humane Society and, while the cats were being vetted, completed the paperwork necessary to certify me as a foster mom. And tonight, the furry family is resting peacefully in my spare bedroom.

The kittens are about five weeks old. Other than the bugs *shudder*, they seem to be in good shape. The momma cat (I'm calling her Abby) is very skinny, though. I'm feeding her Innova kibbles and Nature's Variety raw medallions.

I've read the kitten info here and on other sites and I think I've pretty much got the basics. They'll definitely need some socialization. *whew* Is there anything that y'all think I should be aware of that's not necessarily covered in basic kitten care (especially kittens born in the "wild").

Thanks so much!
How wonderful that you are taking care of this family. This site:

http://www.kitten-rescue.com

will be a good one to bookmark for any kitten related questions.

Katie

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congrats and welcome to the HS Foster Family! Post with any specific questions and make sure while you're treating the kits/mom for the bugs you also get some stuff to treat your carpet so it doesn't spread!

Feel free to post some pics too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, you two!

What a handful these guys are! They aren't coming 'round as quickly as I'd hoped, either. The orange kitten, especially, is a real tough guy. He hisses every time he sees me.

That's okay, these furkids aren't the first wee ones I've tamed. *smile* I've got lots of patience, I guarantee they'll crack. By the time they leave, they'll be total lap cats. : )

I love taking pics, and even more so when the subject is so uber cute!

The white male. Although he's pure white w/blue eyes, he's not deaf. He's the smallest, but I don't expect him to stay that way long with the way he eats. He's the first one with his head in the bowl.

Girl 1. She's quite the troublemaker already. First out of the carrier, first to the top of the kitty condo, etc., etc. Her fur is sooo incredibly soft. (Excuse the condition of my couch; the ratties ate holes above, Oscar (my cat) clawed holes below. What can you do?

Girl 2. She's very, very sweet and a bit shy. This is her showing off her pretty colors.

And here she is cautiously greeting my Yorkie, Jasmine.

And, finally, the second boy. These kittens will be ready for adoption by 20 November, but I have a *sinking* feeling that this one will not be available.
Here he is being welcomed by my resident cat, Oscar.

And again. He reminds me vividly of the lion in The Witch and The Wardrobe...

And my favorite pic yet. Need I say more?

Abby, as I've named the mother cat, is a wonderful mom. (And, yes, all four kittens are nursing!)

And just for kicks and giggles, here's Oscar stalking Abby stalking the rats, Jake, Robin and Charles, while the later watch with great interest and no fear (Jake regularly stares Oscar down. *laugh*)

I have been asked by the Humane Society to give the kittens names that begin with H, for their records. (The adopters can, of course, rename the kitties.) What do you think to calling one boy and one girl Henry and Henrietta, respectively, and the other pair, Herman and Hermione?

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the Mom tame? If so, she will help the kittens tame.

I would use the divide and conquer strategy. Bring one or two kittens into a room away from Mom and siblings, and give one on one attention. Make sure each kitten gets some time with you alone. Without the siblings sending them "be careful" vibes, they may tame easier. Be sure to bribe them with food and treats while you have them alone. The first time you do this, they will be so scared, and cautious, and timid. But the next time they will think they are brave adventurers, and will be all over you!

The kittens are absolutely gorgeous! I believe Abby is a patched tabby rather than a calico, due to the distint stripes in her spots of color...I am jealous! I get cute kittens, because aren't they all cute...but never such gorgeous colors! I'm sure they will find homes quickly!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww nuts, I can't see the pics!! Thank you for taking in this fur family though.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I see the pics now! If you lived in Ohio, I'd have to talk Jerry into adopting them all!

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dang are those babies beautiful. I would love the two calicos. (slap, slap, bad girl, slap, slap) ****sigh****

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the compliments, all, I appreciate them. Even if I'm just fostering these guys, I feel kinda proprietory toward them, you know?

Sorry the pics are so small. I haven't quite got the hang of sizing them. At this point, I can only link to photobucket's two standard sizes, the thumbnail and the big one and *cough* I guess the larger pics are too large.

Beckiboo, what a lot of good info - thanks! I had been taking the kittens out one at a time, but I hadn't tried any treats; I was just petting them and such (and not really impressing them very much, either). I'll go out and get some Pounce or something tomorrow evening. (If you have a favorite treat you like to use, I'd love to know what it is!)

A patched tabby, eh? The HS and I were really scratching our heads trying to figure out what she was. Now I know! *smile*

Y'all take care!

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, they're SO cute! I especially love the 1st girl, the trouble-making calico, if you're in IN, I know there's another girl on here posting looking to rescue a kitten (and would prefer a calico). We had the most beautiful calicos in our first foster litter. I'm glad the taking them out one by one is helping to tame them, it's what we did for our babies. If you have one of those turban towels used to wrap your hair to dry after showers (sorry if that sounds weird), those are usually an excellent size to let a kitten lay down in and sit in your lap. It worked wonders for our kits that were a little too young to be away from their sibs for too long (would get cold fairly easily).

As for the treats, I don't remember how old these cuties are, but if they're still nursing, you may want to just give them treats of a little bit of kitten wet food from your finger, nice and easy for them to swallow (and get them used to the yummy taste!).

Good luck and keep us posted! The more pics, the better! Also, if you try www.shutterfly.com they usually do good sized pics, I'll post a pic of our fosters below so you can get an idea (sorry for those of you that have seen these pics a million times)....

and one of our calicos b/c they were my favorite

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jkrodger

As for the treats, I don't remember how old these cuties are, but if they're still nursing, you may want to just give them treats of a little bit of kitten wet food from your finger, nice and easy for them to swallow (and get them used to the yummy taste!).
Yeah, I usually stick with canned kitten food for treats for the babies. And kibble if they are crunching solids.
Originally Posted by jkrodger

(sorry for those of you that have seen these pics a million times)....
Well, one thing I'll say about TCS, I've never seen anyone complain about cute kitten pics! LOL!