Groceries

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is it when I buy junk food it costs me $40 and when I buy healthy food and NO dr pepper I spend $134.
Its like the food industry wants you to be fat in hopes of you buying more.
Well I did get some broccolli and some chicken and cream of mushroom soup and some peas and carrots so I am thinking of an idea for a meal.
And bought some pork chops and I got some other stuff.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should subscribe to the kraftfoods web site-they have a magazine that they publish 4 times a year with lots of pretty good recipes. Imade a pretty good one tonite. I don't specifically use their products-if it say "name brand" sour cream I just use whatever sour cream is in the :censor::censor::censor::censor:.!!
Do you have access to farmer's markets-lots of cheap produce!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are farmers so we can alot of stuff in the summer but yes we do but my dad hates stopping at them he always says it takes too long because they have antiques near it and I LOVE antiques. And quilts and throws. I got the stuff though to make some pork chops one night this week and I amazingly didn't get any stuff for mac and cheese which I make from scratch. But I didn't really want it so I got more veggies.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still need to do that on Monday.I wait until all 4 kids are in School before I get brave enough to shop.On an average,I spend $150 a week and that is for food ONLY.That's not cat food,litter,toilet paper and etc.
When DH and I did the Adkins diet,we spent sooooooooooooooo much $$$ trying to loose the weight.It is such a shame that they don't offer those that want to live healthy a discount or something.

I LOVE antiques. And quilts and throws.
I do quilts!!! I don't care for antiques though.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are two adults, one child, and three cats. I plan our menus by the sales, buy no junk foods or drinks (expensive here), make everything from scratch (which is much cheaper than packaged or pre-made foods), and we have a huge fruit and vegetable garden. Still, it costs $1200 a month for groceries. This is at the regular grocery store, not a "Whole Foods" or anything. Living on an island is expensive!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

p.s. At least gas is down to $3.75 a gallon (from almost $5.00 a gallon).

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're right, that's in Canadian dollars. I converted the litres to gallons but forgot the currency.

In American dollars, gas here is $3.33 a gallon, down from $4.44 American.
Since CDN $1.00 = U.S. $.89, they are pretty close.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I still need to do that on Monday.I wait until all 4 kids are in School before I get brave enough to shop.On an average,I spend $150 a week and that is for food ONLY.That's not cat food,litter,toilet paper and etc.
When DH and I did the Adkins diet,we spent sooooooooooooooo much $$$ trying to loose the weight.It is such a shame that they don't offer those that want to live healthy a discount or something.

I do quilts!!! I don't care for antiques though.
I like to curl up on in a chair with an ottamen and read with a quilt wrapped around me and a cup of hot cocoa

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean..I always spend way more when I am planning for healthy meals and snacks...Its either buy a $4 burger, or pay like $10 for a healthy fresh lunch..

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I never really notice!!! I always pick 3 or 4 homemade meals for the week & buy what I need... then while we're there Chad loads the cart up with junk food!! Last time I got lots of snacks to help me with Weight Watchers but at least they weren't totally junky
We usually spend about $90 a week but we go every other week, plus I make pit stops for things in between major trips. I haven't figured out how much I spend making those little emergency stops and I'm not sure I want to!

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

You should subscribe to the kraftfoods web site-they have a magazine that they publish 4 times a year with lots of pretty good recipes. Imade a pretty good one tonite. I don't specifically use their products-if it say "name brand" sour cream I just use whatever sour cream is in the :censor::censor::censor::censor:.!!
Do you have access to farmer's markets-lots of cheap produce!!!
I love that magazine! My mom and I did the chicken bake last week.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

Why is it when I buy junk food it costs me $40 and when I buy healthy food and NO dr pepper I spend $134.
LOL - isnt that the truth. I feel your pain completely! I spent $109 at Whole Foods last night...and walked out with 2.5 bags worth of stuff only

My mother can't believe I spend $5 for a loaf of bread. I try to explain how bad white bread is but she wont listen!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm almost embarrassed to say how much I spend a week in groceries.

With 2 growing boys, a growing husband
, 6 cats, 2 birds and a dog our grocery bill is almost $200/week!

And the gas here has went down to $2.05 a gallon

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you add in cat food,litter,dog food,shampoo, etc.I spend about $250-300 for that week.
I need to get my butt over to Sams and do some shopping.Buying in bulk always make it go farther too.
I STILL have to go grocery shopping.I didn't do it today.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow... makes me glad I only have to feed myself. The grocery bill this week comes to 70$.I buy all my produce at the organic store nearby (just opened, and its freaking awesome) and everything else at the regular grocery. I always noticed the opposite-- junky foods are way more expensive to me.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy groceries on the 1st and 15th (payday
) and I only spend $60 - $70 each time I go. Never over $70, thats for sure! I love it - I go to WalMart (LOVE their grocery section!!)

I can usually get groceries for 2 - 3 weeks, cat food, bathroom supplies (TP, toothpaste, the necessities, if needed) for around $70. If its only groceries, I spend about $50

I've learned to watch the prices, buy off brands!! I never buy anything thats over $2.00 - unless its meats, ect. It saves to buy off brands, and we can never tell a difference in taste.

I also get our bread at Kwik Trip (gas station) you can get 3 loaves, for $1.49

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems to me that healthy foods are CHEAP if they are: beans, whole grains, fresh vegetables and fruits, etc.

Healthy foods are EXPENSIVE if they are: Amy's lasagne dinner, Annie's shells and cheese, etc. (Compared to Stouffer's and Kraft.)

Prepared foods will always cost more. Organic usually costs more, too, but not always. I get better deals on healthy prepared foods at a store that sells a lot of them, and better prices on the basics (grains, beans, fresh produce) at the regular grocery store and farmer's market. Here, anyway.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My DH went to the store and got JUST zuchinni(6 small),yellow squash(6 small),and cabbage(1) and spent $40!!! (this was during the Summer too!)
I go to Save-A-Lot and buy MOST of our groceries.But, I have to feed 6 and send snacks for 2 of my 4 kids,plus make lunches for my DH for work.
So in my experience, it is FAR cheaper to buy junk food than healthy food.Fruits and veggies are OUTRAGEOUS!! Unless you get them in the summer from your garden,which we don't have.
I buy mostly generic food too.