Convection Ovens

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We found a GREAT deal on a new stove (regularly $750, we only paid $450) that we couldn't pass up. (Of course it had to go on an equally new credit card...
) But since the stove that came with the townhome is somewhere around 25 years old, we figured we couldn't pass up such a great deal.

Anyway, it has a convection oven. I baked some cookies last night and was experimenting with how much time it actually took off of the cooking time because I've heard (was it the salesman or something online???) that cooking times are reduced. I found with the cookies it only took about 1 minute off.

So who else has a convection oven, and what tips can you give me about using it? For instance - does it help with baking things other than pre-made storebought cookies?
What about roasting - i.e. a turkey?

I'm really excited about the new stove/oven. The cookies turned out fantastic, and I can't wait to bake more!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My folks' RV has a microwave/convection combo oven, mom uses it all the time, she loves it.
I will see if she has any tips for you and pass them along.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Heidi, convection ovens are great for baking and roasts, but not so good for anything with yeast that has to raise, like bread or pizza. I'm on my second "combi" (our last one caught fire on 9/11/2001). It simply shorted out, after about ten years of service. My m-i-l had a straight convection oven, and was only pleased with the baking results. I'd go for a combi (we have 16 different settings), or a conventional oven, not a straight convection oven.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm, I may not have said it right...

What we got is a new flat-top stove with an oven that has convection that can be turned on when needed/wanted. Here's the specs on our stove: http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/pro...arch=RF367LXSB

So, it is a conventional oven, with a convection option (basically a fan in the back of the oven to circulate the heated air to provide more even cooking).

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Go for it! It'll take some getting used to, but is wonderful. The flat top is great - you can regulate the heat like with a gas range, but the clean-up is super-easy. You'll have to experiment a bit for a couple of weeks, but you won't regret getting it.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I only use my convection option when I have more than one thing in my oven at the same time!!
I wouldnt even know how to use mine .... thats so pitiful ....

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine is a Thermador convection-micro-thermal ..... I was so excited about it and had big dreams for things I was going to do in the kitchen. I was even going to wear an apron when I cooked, but sadly I havent even looked at the instruction booklet. I just cannot seem to grasp how a microwave and oven can be in the same location. The thought has baffled me so much, I just order out !!!!