how pregnant?

beccilou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi took my persian the gorgeous bonnie,to the vets today and he confirmed that she is indeed pregnant,but was a bit elusive as to how far gone she is.
he said he can feel something and that they are bigger than walnuts and that her abdoman is very full.so my question is does anyone have a guess as to how far along she is?she is sleeping a lot and eating like the proverbial pig lol.she has also put on a lot of weight in the last two weeks,and her nipples are very big and look slightly "crusty"any info would be good thanks in advance xxx

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by beccilou

hi took my persian the gorgeous bonnie,to the vets today and he confirmed that she is indeed pregnant,but was a bit elusive as to how far gone she is.
he said he can feel something and that they are bigger than walnuts and that her abdoman is very full.so my question is does anyone have a guess as to how far along she is?she is sleeping a lot and eating like the proverbial pig lol.she has also put on a lot of weight in the last two weeks,and her nipples are very big and look slightly "crusty"any info would be good thanks in advance xxx
A quick question for you if you do not mind...I recall you stated that a tom cat had gotten to your cat in August. Did you keep her confined indoors after that encounter?? If you did, I would use that date to determine when to expect kittens. Additionally, this link will be very useful as you get closer to her date of delivery:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80724

Make sure you definately keep her confined indoors only from now until she has been spayed after her kittens have been weaned.

Katie

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So, I take it then that you didn't keep her August spay appointment? I believe in one of your previous threads you said you had called and scheduled an appointment for her to be altered on August 18th ... in that same thread, dated August 14th, you said a tom had mated with your girl on that day so counting from then, her due date would be somewhere between the 13th and the 18th of October, give or take.

Have you set her up with a suitable nesting place? The link Katie provided is a good one to read in order to be prepared for the delivery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beccilou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i did keep her appointment but the vet made me feel so guilty,he said she was only carrying one kitten(i think different)so i didnt go through with it and decided if its only one kitten i would keep it.however i dont see how she can be so big,so i took her to a vet out of my county and he said she had a very full abdoman.but couldnt decide how many kittens she was having.so anyway after she was had in august and we saw the vet she then came into heat!!!!!i dont know wether this is normal or not.then about 4 weeks ago she snuck out,so you see none of what either vet is telling me makes sense or adds up.sorry this is so confusing but you can imagine how confusing it is to me.so i dont know if she is pregnant from august or from about 4 weeks ago.which is why i am asking for advice.
ok her nipples are pink,her abdoman is huge,she was sick twice last week,she is eating for fun,and extremely tired.she has also taken to lying under the table and crying nearly all night.so how pregnant do you all think she is,seeing as though i cant get any sense out the vets in my area.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

i did keep her appointment but the vet made me feel so guilty,he said she was only carrying one kitten(i think different)so i didnt go through with it and decided if its only one kitten i would keep it.however i dont see how she can be so big,so i took her to a vet out of my county and he said she had a very full abdoman.but couldnt decide how many kittens she was having.so anyway after she was had in august and we saw the vet she then came into heat!!!!!i dont know wether this is normal or not.then about 4 weeks ago she snuck out,so you see none of what either vet is telling me makes sense or adds up.sorry this is so confusing but you can imagine how confusing it is to me.so i dont know if she is pregnant from august or from about 4 weeks ago.which is why i am asking for advice.
ok her nipples are pink,her abdoman is huge,she was sick twice last week,she is eating for fun,and extremely tired.she has also taken to lying under the table and crying nearly all night.so how pregnant do you all think she is,seeing as though i cant get any sense out the vets in my area.
First.....however she is "accidentally" getting out should be sealed off. An intact cat should not have any access outdoors and it really should be your top priority at this point to keep her from getting outside again. If that means confining her to a room so be it. Each time she gets out and is exposed to stray males, you are putting her life at risk as cats can carry diseases such as FIV/FELV that can be spread through mating. I would not want your girl (or her unborn kittens) to be exposed to anything that can threaten her life.

Second....if the vets cannot give you a straight answer on the date, then I don't know that we will be able to provide you with any better guidance. What I would do is calculate both dates.....one from the initial time that she got out and one from 4 weeks ago. A definate "sign" of impending pregnancy is milk production which usually occurs a few days before labor. Also, look for hair loss around her nipple. From what I understand from Gaye, if she has hair loss around her nipples that are about the size of a nickle (and I'm not sure which british coin that would translate to) then she is very close to delivering. I think your best bet is still to use the 2 dates that she escaped and try to calculate birth dates from those. It would also be a good idea to start to follow the advice in the original link I provided with regards to what supplies to have on hand.

And please...for your girl's safely....keep a close eye on her.

Katie

njangel021

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would think back to the four weeks and count 63 days so forth you should be able to see the kittens moving around about a week maybe two before she goes into labor and her nipples should be like a bright pink and larger right before she does go into labor I'd start making a nice quiet small space for her like a closest or a bathroom thats not in use cause the bigger the area the more she can decide where she is having them and dropping them like little easter eggs . I would have done the same as you so no worries good luck and I pray for healthy happy babies for you

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if anyone has already post about the possibilities of spay-aborts, but it may be for the best, especially with the Tom being unknown.

I was you when I first came to this site. I had taken in a pregnant queen (well a little bit of a different situation) and she was having kittens in 2 weeks. After she had the kittens, I didn't get her spayed because I thought I had enough time to do it later, yah know making those lame excuses, sort of like denial and then she went into heat. One night she clawed right through the screen and I haven't seen her since despite searching day and night for her. It broke my heart!

I just don't want that to happen to anyone else because it was so hard. Please consider my story and think about how much you love your baby and please get the spay done.

beccilou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i didnt let her get out,my mother in law did!!!!!
thankyou for your advice and the link is excellent i have saved it to favourites so i can access it quicker.also as she is a persian i have noticed she has been pulling the fur from around her back passage out in chunks,is this normal?she had diarrhea today as well,her nipples are bigger and i can feel(as can my neighbour)lumps that are about 4 inches long.i hope and pray she will be ok i love her so much.
i need to know when she might be due so i can arrange to have her spayed asap after the birth!!!!!
i also have at least 8 people that want a kitten,and i dont know wether to give them for free or have them spayed/neutered and charge a price for them what do you all think??
any advice welcome.thanks in advance,becci lou xxx

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I can address the second half of your post. When did the mama cat get out? Here is a link that you can put in dates and it will caculate the due date for you: http://www.purrinlot.com/preg.htm As for the mama getting spayed, you will have to wait until her kittens are weened. I'm not sure i you have to wait until the milk has dried up or how long that takes (someone else should know).

The best idea for kittens is to have them spay or neutered before their new homes. That way you can guarentee that they won't be adding to the population problem and it is healthier for them in the long run. Then you could just charge to cover the costs of the procedures. Then you only have to worry about mama.

You can find a complete list of shelters/groups in your area that amy preform lowcost procedures by going to this site and typing in your zip code: http://www.petfinder.com/

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i also have at least 8 people that want a kitten,and i dont know wether to give them for free or have them spayed/neutered and charge a price for them what do you all think??
It is actually best if you can have the procedure done and then charge the fee to the adoptors for spaying/neutering. Find out how soon your vet can spay/neuter the kittens.

Katie

beccilou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One night she clawed right through the screen and I haven't seen her since despite searching day and night for her. It broke my heart!

I just don't want that to happen to anyone else because it was so hard. Please consider my story and think about how much you love your baby and please get the spay done.[/quote]

this wouldnt happen because here in the uk we have solid doors that we close at night time.also the cats in my area are all pets not feral cats.and while im on the subject and seeing as though i feel i am being told off for my cat being pregnant there is no problem with over population of cats in lancashire where i live.in fact my cousin recently had to wait seven months before she could find a kitten for herself.so quit having a go at me.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
this wouldnt happen because here in the uk we have solid doors that we close at night time.also the cats in my area are all pets not feral cats.and while im on the subject and seeing as though i feel i am being told off for my cat being pregnant there is no problem with over population of cats in lancashire where i live.in fact my cousin recently had to wait seven months before she could find a kitten for herself.so quit having a go at me.
beccilou...no one is having a go at you....but your cat did get outside a couple of times......and became pregnant by another cat. It doesn't matter if it was owned or unowned...you do not know the history of the cat she mated with or whether it is healthy. The fact that there is an intact male that is roaming around and brutally attacked your girl (as you stated in a prior post) should be a concern that I would think you would want to raise to the cat's owner.

We certainly will hope for a successful birth without any complications and we are glad that you are choosing to have her spayed once the kittens are weaned. I still recommend that you have the kittens fixed prior to going to their homes but would advise you to talk to your vet.

Katie

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I totally didn't mean to sound like I was having "a go" at you at all. I was simply telling you what happened to me. By the way, my kitty didn't go out a door, she went out a window screen from my main floor.

I know that there is a flood of information that is coming at you right now that may sound like it is meant to offend, but we are only offering you advice that we've learned one way or another (ie. the hard way in my case). No one is trying to say you are a bad pet owner or anything like that, so please don't get offended. We only have your best intentions at heart, I promise!!!

We will be here for you if you do decide to continue with your queen's pregnancy and after. Please don't let this first overwhelming thread scare you away because we're a great bunch of people who love cats!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

As for the mama getting spayed, you will have to wait until her kittens are weened. I'm not sure i you have to wait until the milk has dried up or how long that takes (someone else should know).
You don't have to wait for the milk to dry up or until the kittens are weaned.

And to the OP, the kittens can be spayed at 2lbs. which is about 8 weeks or so so definately have them altered before going to new homes and charge a fee. You don't want anyone else going thru what you are going thru, and the whole scariness of not knowing if she picked up anything from the tom she mated with, not only that but her kittens don't need to go thru the whole birthing process and add more cats to the already overpopulated cat world.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

You don't have to wait for the milk to dry up or until the kittens are weaned.

And to the OP, the kittens can be spayed at 2lbs. which is about 8 weeks or so so definately have them altered before going to new homes and charge a fee.
Jen...these are excellent points...however....we need to remember that what is considered standard practice for one vet...may not be standard practice for another so it's best to check with your vet regarding 1. when they are willing to perform the mother's spay and 2. when they are willing to spay/neuter kittens.

Katie

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm, I've always been told the kittens should be weened first. I guess it depends on the vet like Katie said.

You might have to phone around to find a vet that will do spay/neuters on younger kittens/cats and you'll want to find the best price anyways.

beccilou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

Sorry, but that's simply incorrect. There is a huge problem of unwanted cats in Lancashire, just as there is in the rest of the UK.

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/lancs.html

And yes, I do live in Lanchashire.
not wanting to sound rude
but if that is the case then why did it take my cousin 7 months to find a kitten to live with her,and that was with her and myself scouting the local rescue centres,local papers and loot etc...to no avail.all we could find were pedigree cats costing £200-£300 each or older cats.she only wanted a moggy and a kitten and that and there were not any.where in lancashire do you live?i would love to know so that i can tell her and maybe put her in touch with you then perhaps you can find her one.