Why do cats do this???

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ive had many many cats in my lifetime, and this is the first time Ive ever seen a cat do this. My new cat (Angel) uses her litter pan, and during the burying of her poop she will put something in the litterpan. Sometimes it is the scooper, sometimes her toy mouse, sometimes an entire pillow!! Anybody know why a cat would do this?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Here are a list of things that 8-Bit has buried: three bath mats, a pair of DH boxer shorts, Scratch's toy mouse, one of my socks, and several towels.
We've stopped putting things on the bathroom floor.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
to funny you made this for last year and a half the litter box has accumalted NUMEROUS things...Socks, cat toys, a cd cover(GRRR) and the best was my bath towel that the next cat saw as heaven to use. turns out its my cat t whos the one to bring the treasure into the box after the others play and hoard them in the corner I keep the litter box...speaking of odd litter box behavior...anyone have a cat that would prefer to use a bag that you've just filled with scoopings from out of thier litter box? katie thinks this is the best...maybe shes just very eager and doesnt want to cause mess? RJ

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Here are a list of things that 8-Bit has buried: three bath mats, a pair of DH boxer shorts, Scratch's toy mouse, one of my socks, and several towels.
We've stopped putting things on the bathroom floor.
that is very funny also. With Angel, she doesnt bury it (well the mouse was half buried) she just puts it right on top of the litter....strangeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Perhaps they figure those things cover their scent better than just the litter.

I have a couple cats that cover their food when they're done eating with whatever item they can find nearby. I've seen toys, kleenes, gloves, paper and one time the cat bed was pulled p over the dishes to name a few.

I think they are as innovative as women when it comes to finding whatever is on hand to do the job they want done.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why, but mine do this as well...if there is anything even remoting close to the litter pan the cats try to drag it in there. Chuckie used to actually get out of the litter pan and paw something toward it!

One time when I emptied the litter pan I found a wash cloth covered in there!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's generally just things in the area that they can get in there when continuing to cover!

Tibby has put almost everything in there from one time to another - I have a feeling that just now he has added my recycling bag and my freshly washed dusters that I forgot to pick up before bed!

He'll also add underwear, mats, Willow's favourite sleepy mat thing and even the mat that is underneath the trays!!