All kinds of confusing: International Flavouring of Mystery

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been having extreme difficulty in locating vanilla extract here in Limerick.

I do have some vanilla essence (ing: water, propylene glycol, glycerine, flavourings, colour (caramel E150d)). Can I use this in the absence of real vanilla extract for the vanilla trick?

I've been trying to research the difference and frankly ended up more confused:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

I have been having extreme difficulty in locating vanilla extract here in Limerick.

I do have some vanilla essence (ing: water, propylene glycol, glycerine, flavourings, colour (caramel E150d)). Can I use this in the absence of real vanilla extract for the vanilla trick?

I've been trying to research the difference and frankly ended up more confused:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla
In what context are you using it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course, the baker responds first! I appreciate it, Lookingglass.

The context is for dabbing on kitties to make the smell the same. (That's what I meant by 'the vanilla trick', I don't know what it's properly called).

BF rescued a much in distress 7 week old kitten, and I would like to integrate him quickly with the rest of the household as he has a powerful need to play.

But I can't find vanilla extract and I want to make sure no harm will come to any of the kitties if I use the essence instead.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Of course, the baker responds first! I appreciate it, Lookingglass.

The context is for dabbing on kitties to make the smell the same. (That's what I meant by 'the vanilla trick', I don't know what it's properly called).

BF rescued a much in distress 7 week old kitten, and I would like to integrate him quickly with the rest of the household as he has a powerful need to play.

But I can't find vanilla extract and I want to make sure no harm will come to any of the kitties if I use the essence instead.
I found that propylene glycol is toxic to cats.

I searched the ingredients separately.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it not avilable in the baking section?! It did take me a few supermarkets to source some but did find it in the end!

If you like, I can always send you some if that will be easier!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I found that propylene glycol is toxic to cats.

I searched the ingredients separately.
Dang, me too - but I found it as listed in some cat foods (not that that means it isn't toxic, I know the world is crazy).

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Is it not avilable in the baking section?! It did take me a few supermarkets to source some but did find it in the end!

If you like, I can always send you some if that will be easier!
That's very sweet, thank you, and I'll let you know if it becomes necessary, but I'll try some specialty shops in Limerick and Dublin first.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's very sweet, thank you, and I'll let you know if it becomes necessary, but I'll try some specialty shops in Limerick and Dublin first.
Okay!
Just end me a PM if you'd like me to grab some for you and it'll be on it's way as soon as possible!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's is what I have found, go into a baking shop in a larger city and explain why you need the vanilla. If the master baker has any heart at all he or she should just give you some, or show you where it is purchased.

If at all possible go with a shop that sells French things e.g. croissants, chocolate filled goodies, they are much more likely to have it than not.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to check the label on my bottle of vanilla extract-it reads: Water, alcohol, sugat and Vanilla Bean extractives!! Can you find vanilla beans and make your own extract??

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go to a baking shop and see if you can find vanilla pods. Just slice one open and roll the seeds in your hands, then rub the kitten with it!

Hope this helps.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Here's is what I have found, go into a baking shop in a larger city and explain why you need the vanilla. If the master baker has any heart at all he or she should just give you some, or show you where it is purchased.

If at all possible go with a shop that sells French things e.g. croissants, chocolate filled goodies, they are much more likely to have it than not.
You are a genius! Thank you. That's exactly what I will do.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Go to a baking shop and see if you can find vanilla pods. Just slice one open and roll the seeds in your hands, then rub the kitten with it!

Hope this helps.
This is also a keeper. Thank you.