Siamese kitten Price

darkorchid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was just looking through the classified ads and came across an ad for Siamese kittens. Ive always wanted one and once I saw that the price was only 225$ I got really excited because That is totally something I can more then afford. But then I got thinking...doesn't that sound like to little for a purebred? I really don't know much about siamese cats, so If anyone could give me some input on wether its weird or not that the price is so low, I would really appreiciate it.

Jennifer

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DarkOrchid

I was just looking through the classified ads and came across an ad for Siamese kittens. Ive always wanted one and once I saw that the price was only 225$ I got really excited because That is totally something I can more then afford. But then I got thinking...doesn't that sound like to little for a purebred? I really don't know much about siamese cats, so If anyone could give me some input on wether its weird or not that the price is so low, I would really appreiciate it.

Jennifer
Around here in the paper they are usually around $150. BUT that doesnt mean they come from a good breeder. If you really want a siamese kitten shop around. Talk to different breeders. Ask lots of questions.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Often I see them for sale around here for $150.00. Go and look see what kind of person has the kittens and look at the parents.Not all pure breeds cost alot of money. My last Siamese I paid $250.00 for he is a 4th generation the lady has been breeding Siamese and Orientals for 25 years.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you don't know much about Siamese cats, I would strongly urge you to research the breed more thoroughly before buying one at any price and bringing him/her into your home. They are gorgeous, to be sure, but come as a package deal with a very active, boisterous personality ... please make certain this type of cat is what you are looking for in a companion. They will bond very, very closely with you so you must be prepared to give a Siamese kitten oooooodles of attention and one-on-one interactive playtime. There are a couple of good threads here with lots of information about the breed ...

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101154

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93082

As for the price, $225 is a little low for a kitten with registration documents. The accepted price for a pedigreed Siamese kitten of pet quality is more in the $350 to $600 range. I would suggest calling the number in the ad and asking a lot of questions about the kitten ... are the parents registered, is the litter registered, what registry association holds the pedigrees and why the price is less than the normal asking price for a pedigreed kitten. If you would like, feel free to PM me for more details.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would check out the breeder first - sounds like it could be a backyard breeder and you really don't want to buy from them or encourage them to breed more.

Also, you may not get papers with the kittens and the parents may not be quality siamese - more of a "I bought this cat and I'm gonna get my money back".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkorchid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By default I already have a very active, boisterous, needy, loving, attention *****, red tabby back at home. Personality wise I can DEFINITLY handle it. But, Thats pretty crazy actually, lol, from some of your responces this lady actually seems like shes OVERcharing. But I will definetly check out the place and ask all those questions. Thank you for all your responces.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah definitely check them out, see how their cattery looks if possible, and ask a lot of questions! Here is a good guide to what questions to ask a breeder:
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...le/id-696.html

It does sound like kind of a low price but maybe it's just because of the area or something. My kitten (Maine Coon) is going to be about $400 and that's pretty average from what I've seen for many breeds.

lilo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My siamese kitten cost $300, from a good breeder. But there are also extremely good breeders around here that ask for $650.