New Kitten, need advice

tiger71306

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got my new kitten today, Tiger. He is 12 weeks old. I want to take the best possible care I can of him. He came from a shelter & he has got his Fel-O-Vax vaccine. What's the best kind of food etc? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tiger71306

I just got my new kitten today, Tiger. He is 12 weeks old. I want to take the best possible care I can of him. He came from a shelter & he has got his Fel-O-Vax vaccine. What's the best kind of food etc? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Well..first of all...congratulations on your new kitten.
As far as food goes....you want to look for a food that has protein as the first ingredient (such as chicken, lamb, beef, salmon) as opposed to meat by products or grains. There are lots of high quality brands that you have to go to a specialty store for or you can check online. However, you may want to find out what he was fed at the shelter....sometimes kittens can have a hard time with switching brands of kitten foods cold turkey....oftentimes, it is good to start them off on what they have already been eating and gradually switch them to another brand. Make sure you give him a few litterbox options as he is still a baby and may not be able to make it back to the one litterbox..so a few options is best. Give him some nice toys....mice, balls...and some scratching posts. Also, you should take him to your vet for a first check up because if he hasn't been wormed yet or received his FVRCP shots..he will be due for those.

Katie