my car is totaled

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to vent a little. So this morning on my way to work I was rear ended badly while sitting at a yield sign waiting for an opportunity of merge. My trunk is now nonexistant, my rear window was completely blown out. According to the body shiop it's at since it's a 99 and the insurance company only authorized repairs if the cost is less than 70% of the current value of the car I am so SOL. I am 95% sure that they will consider my car a total loss. This is not fair. I'll be getting only the blue book value for my car and somehow will have to manage to scrape together a decent down payment so I can get another. This car was in perfect condition and paid off.

I know I should look on the bright side that I am not hurt. I also know the guy did not do it on purpose, he was lost and was looking for highway signs instead of watching the road. He was very sorry and glad that I was not hurt But I'll be out a lot of money because of his stupidity! It's not right !!!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's happened to me before, I can relate - I'm SO sorry!

I hope you got his insurance information - it should at least pay for a rental car for you until yours is fixed or until you can get another one!

tlea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,..I am very sorry to hear about you getting rear ended,...& now have to get
another car,...& all,..but I am very glad that you are ok,...maybe,..you will be able to find another car that is good also,& work for you,.......I had a similar thing happen to me last yr,...I wish you all the best ,..TLEA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys - I just feel exhausted. I have a rental and the insurance will cover that. The police was there and a report filed so everything is in order and my friends are the greatest. One went in late to work to pick me up and another surfed the internet looking for a new car for me - how sweet are they!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hell603

I need to vent a little. So this morning on my way to work I was rear ended badly while sitting at a yield sign waiting for an opportunity of merge. My trunk is now nonexistant, my rear window was completely blown out. According to the body shiop it's at since it's a 99 and the insurance company only authorized repairs if the cost is less than 70% of the current value of the car I am so SOL. I am 95% sure that they will consider my car a total loss. This is not fair. I'll be getting only the blue book value for my car and somehow will have to manage to scrape together a decent down payment so I can get another. This car was in perfect condition and paid off.

I know I should look on the bright side that I am not hurt. I also know the guy did not do it on purpose, he was lost and was looking for highway signs instead of watching the road. He was very sorry and glad that I was not hurt But I'll be out a lot of money because of his stupidity! It's not right !!!
That is true - if its over 70% damage, they will not repair. At least you're able to get a rental, and the insurance will pay for that, but its still a hassle. (Used to work in a body shop
) That sucks - I'm really sorry to hear about that, especially when your vehicle was in good condition AND paid off

Its a good thing you were not hurt, and you've had someone be totally cooperative with you over the accident.

Good luck finding a new car

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I compleetly feel your pain. This past April my car was stolen from under my appartment building. It was recovered but the ignition was punched, they hit somthing so hard it twisted the frame and they drove it so hard it boiled the engine coolant out of the motor so it ceased solid. It was an old car but in compleet working order I had to move to a cheeper apartment in order to afford payments on a new car.

I hope you are physically okay. I have been in several accidents (not driving) but your in shock for a while then you find out where you hurt. And I hope you can afford a new car

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That totally sucks, I would lose it if that happened to me as I wouldn't get much for my car at all, and then your stuck having to buy a car when the first one was just fine and PAID OFF!!

Hugs to you, maybe they will give you more money than you think.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Man, that totally sucks.

I'm glad you're ok though, and it wasn't a hit & run type of thing.

Hope you find a new car without any problems.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same story here, a lady hit my husband and our car was fine and paid off until then. We ended up with a POS that the insurance settlement paid for.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go on kbb.com and book out the value of your vehicle to make sure that the adjustor is giving you the best price for your vehicle!!
How are you feeling today-when I was rear ended I had whiplash and ended up with 6 weeks of PT for my neck. Make sure you see your doctor for an examination so when the insurance company wants to settle (which they will want to as cheaply and quickly) you will have any medical costs covered in the settlement.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for asking - I am good today - a little ache and a little poorer.

Just awaiting that the officially total the car - then on to looking for something affordable. The next few weeks will be one day at a time but I am so thankful that it was only material damage!!

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Friday afternoon, just to make sure, I call my insurance company if the body shop that has my car called them yet - well they hadn't
It has been there for a day & 1/2 now and they guy probably thinks he is not getting any work out of this so I might as well make the most of it for storage fees.
That is not right!!!!!!!!

Well today I am going to look at some cars - so I'll be ready when all is settled. Want to get rid of the rental asap.

Ok off I go.....