Update on my cats...

jackandmolly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, Jack is fixed and home, so glad to be back to! LOL... And the vet said Molly is pregnant, so we will let her have these babies and then get her fixed, he said she is due the end of the month it looks like and it is more expensive and more harmful to do the surgery now, we dont want to lose her so we will have the kittens and then give them away when they are ready...... I am excited though, I will post pics of my kittens right away!!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JackandMolly

Well, Jack is fixed and home, so glad to be back to! LOL... And the vet said Molly is pregnant, so we will let her have these babies and then get her fixed, he said she is due the end of the month it looks like and it is more expensive and more harmful to do the surgery now, we dont want to lose her so we will have the kittens and then give them away when they are ready...... I am excited though, I will post pics of my kittens right away!!!
First, please make sure you keep Molly indoors only. Second, kittens should be placed around 10-12 weeks of age. Third, although many people say "giving away" instead of making available for adoption...please do charge an adoption fee. Ideally, you would have the kittens spayed/neutered ahead of time and charge the spay/neuter fee to the adoptor. However, if that is not possible...definately charge the adoptors at least a reasonable fee that can either be applied to fix your mother cat or donated to a rescue group. The article below goes into the dangers of giving kittens away:

http://www.cathobbyist.com/articles/...yist/Free.html

Make sure you follow up to ensure that the kittens are all spayed/neutered.

I realize you are excited..however, if you enjoy the experience, I do recommend contacting your local rescue or shelter group and offering to foster a pregnant cat, cat with kittens or orphaned kittens in the future. That way, you are helping cats that otherwise might not get a chance.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jackandmolly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh we arent spaying the kittens, we will give them to the place where we bought ours and they sell easily. Our cats wont be going outside any time soon.... they are indoor cats anyways.... I wont be charging for the kittens, this will be the last time this happens, hehe

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh we arent spaying the kittens, we will give them to the place where we bought ours and they sell easily. Our cats wont be going outside any time soon.... they are indoor cats anyways.... I wont be charging for the kittens, this will be the last time this happens, hehe
I guess if it were me, I'd want to place them myself and verify that they were going into good homes where they would be spayed/neutered. Does the place that you bought your cats at require spaying/neutering at a certain age??

Katie

jackandmolly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
nope they only take them without being spayed because then noone would buy them being so expensive, I dont have funds to get them all done when they are born, and I already have great homes for them to go to

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

nope they only take them without being spayed because then noone would buy them being so expensive, I dont have funds to get them all done when they are born, and I already have great homes for them to go to
I would think that many people would prefer to get kittens that have already had the procedure done..unless they plan to breed the kittens. I am confused by your statement...on the one hand you say you are giving the kittens to the place you bought your kittens from and on the other hand, it sounds like you have found homes yourself. Which is true??

I do hope you plan to have the mom cat spayed once the kittens have been placed.

Katie

jackandmolly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
depends how many kittens she has, I know I have a found a few homes for some of the kittens, the rest will go to the place we bought them from. We bought them without them being spayed or neutered, we didnt mind, we knew we would get them done and yes she will be fixed after he babies!!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

depends how many kittens she has, I know I have a found a few homes for some of the kittens, the rest will go to the place we bought them from. We bought them without them being spayed or neutered, we didnt mind, we knew we would get them done and yes she will be fixed after he babies!!!
Right...but wouldn't it have been even better to have already had the spay procedure performed before you purchased her?? Less money out of your pocket..and even if she got out, she would not have been able to become pregnant. All our adoptors are very happy to find out that spaying/neutering is already included in the fee. This is why I think it makes sense to spay/neuter prior to placing kittens when you can.

Katie

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Right...but wouldn't it have been even better to have already had the spay procedure performed before you purchased her?? Less money out of your pocket..and even if she got out, she would not have been able to become pregnant. All our adoptors are very happy to find out that spaying/neutering is already included in the fee. This is why I think it makes sense to spay/neuter prior to placing kittens when you can.

Katie
Definitly something to think about, shelters here charge around $140 which includes health check, first shots, spay/neuter and microchip. Works out much cheaper than getting all that done on your own.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey there JackandMolly,

I don't want to offend you in anyway with the things I'm about to say ok, so keep that in mind.

I live in the same province as you do. I know that here people don't give a hoot about kittens. There are so many kittens going for free in the paper these days, it's unreal! Many people I know that live in small town Sask take guns to kittens just to keep the population down! It is so terrible. I'm just saying that these days around here, a moogie (non-purebred) is more likely to end up at a shelter & Put to sleep, dumped on a rural road or killed than end up in good, forever homes where the owners actually take the care to spay/neuter the kittens/cats.

I'm sorry if I come off as rude or anything like that, because it's completely not how I mean to be, but I just really hope you take this into consideration.

Depending on the area which you live in, there are low cost spay-neuter programs. If you live in Regina, there is a low-cost spay/neuter program.
Here is a link: http://www.reginahumanesociety.ca/reginahs?pageid=109

(I'm copy and pasting some info a friend sent me from another site. For Saskatoon)

There are spay and neuter programs in the city. Here are a few of
them. So please take the time to get your pet spay/neuter. Because if
you do your research it is really not about money. It is about being
educated.

There is PAL (PREVENT A LITTER) Cat program. The Praireland Vet does
the spays and neuter however it is totally funded privately. They
will spay the female first before neutering the males. It is Obivous.

NEW HOPE DOG RESCUE has a Spay and Neuter program as well. I think it
is started on with application,. A proof of current vaccines is
needed.

THE SPCA I believe is trying to put there program in place called
SNIP.

Also Priaireland Vet is very reasonable, if they know your situation.
Here Why. My friends cat got into a fight and needed some stitches.
They stitch him up. The vet phoned my friend to ask if she would like
him neuter. My friend could not afford it. So the Vet made her a deal
she could not refuse. He would do the neuter for $40 plus the other
part of the vet bill.

So talk to your Vet, see if what they can do. Some will make monthly
payments schedules and others will lower the bill to what you can
afford.