Ferals fighting, my inside boys are getting very edgy and upset...

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As some of you have probably read, I have been feeding a feral group of cats because they were so skinny and needed a place where they could depend on food. They have been living under my neighbors trailer for a while now, and coming here for food for about 3 weeks. The males are obviously trying to fight for "ownership" of the territory that is my yard. I hear probably a fight a day now.

My boys, Trixter and Smeagol, have been all edgy the last few days because of it. They can hear them and see them outside the windows. Trixter used to be able to roam his yard a few hours a day, but now he can't and he has been acting extra sketchy this morning. I am worried that he is really upset and that it may only get worse. Does anyone have any experience with this? Also, Smeagol has redirected his aggression at me twice now (both yesterday) when I tried to get outside without him running out the door.

The ferals stress me out enough as it is. I don't want them to cause problems for (or between my boys, or my boys and us) my boys now, and I can't just close up all windows, etc.. This is getting SO frustrating.
I don't know what to do!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because these are intact males....they are probably fighting for territory and also for females. The BEST thing you can do is to get these cats trapped and take them in for neutering. It will definately improve the situation for all:

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html#ca

I would contact the groups below and see if any of them know where you can borrow a trap and also a low cost clinic that you could get them fixed at.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have contacted the only groups who are not 3+ hours away. I am a struggling college student and I do not drive. I was told by the Bakersfield one that I would have to rent traps, etc, and cover the rest of the vet expenses aside from some $25 vouchers for S/N. I cannot afford to do it. I am already struggling, and by that I do not mean that it would be a financial burden, I mean I literally do not have any extra money at all.. At first I thought it was ONE stray, then it turned into 2....3....4... now its 6, with two of them pregnant. I have written several emails in hopes of some help, but I have gotten nothing hopeful, and no replies from some. I feel stuck as there is really nothing more I can do.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are intact, they will fight. For your insiders, perhaps talking to them might help.

I am a great believer in using voice when you can. My insiders were also upset about the ferals, but once I got both groups spayed and neutered, their anxiety lessened.

I made sure that everytime one of my insiders saw the outsiders, that I would say in a quiet voice, "Don't worry. They live outside, you live inside. It's OK". The same when my insiders would see the outsiders eating. "You eat inside, they eat outside. It's OK" Surprisingly after three years, the insiders will touch noses with the outsiders in the morning at breakfast. I am trying to get the outsiders used to coming into the house, as I am going to try to get them inside this winter. Try using your voice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do tell them its ok all the time and they mellow out for the most part, (at least Trixter does) but it still bothers me that they have to be upset at all. Its not fair. It makes me so mad that the poeple who released these cats to starve are so irresponsible. I feel very stuck in this situation and it is really stressing me out.

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Be careful with your inside cats lashing out at you. This happened to me. One of my indoor cats saw a feral/stray out on the balcony and flippped out and lashed out at me..my hand actually. I ended up with a horrible infection, needed IV antibiotics and spent several days in the hospital.

Can you feed the ferals someplace further away from your place? Are you letting out your inside cats? Can you keep them in for the time being? Now what about this neighbor's trailer ? Is the neighbor willing to help you out by getting you a trap or taking you to a vet/clinic?

I'm in a similar bind myself and know how you feel. It really irks me to know there are people who CAN do something and don't do anything and the people who are least able to do something about it have to be the most responsible

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TrixtersMomma

I have contacted the only groups who are not 3+ hours away. I am a struggling college student and I do not drive. I was told by the Bakersfield one that I would have to rent traps, etc, and cover the rest of the vet expenses aside from some $25 vouchers for S/N. I cannot afford to do it. I am already struggling, and by that I do not mean that it would be a financial burden, I mean I literally do not have any extra money at all.. At first I thought it was ONE stray, then it turned into 2....3....4... now its 6, with two of them pregnant. I have written several emails in hopes of some help, but I have gotten nothing hopeful, and no replies from some. I feel stuck as there is really nothing more I can do.
And unfortunately if they aren't fixed...it will be 10 then 15 then 20. What about going around the neighborhood and asking for donations. You can also find traps that are only around $45 and if you know that you need to use it more than once..sometimes it just makes more sense to buy one. Or contact a vet office and see if they have a trap you can borrow. As to getting them fixed....sometimes it takes talking to a vet about getting 1 free spay/neuter a month. Even fixing 1 will help.

Katie

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a Havahart 1079 (cat size) trap for sale on Ebay under the Ebay stores for $40.95..not sure how much shipping is. If you could possible afford this...(credit card?) you would have your own trap. You mentioned you are a college student...do you think your parents/relatives might be sympathetic to this cause and help you out with some $? I heard of a woman who wanted breast augmentation or reduction surgery...not sure which...started a web site fund raiser and all these men sent her all this money...
for this kind of surgery....Perhaps there's a creative way to generate cash?