Sometimes you just loose faith in people...went to the shelter last night...

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went to the rescue last night to pick up some meds for Carl's cold. Tamara (the woman who runs the rescue) met me there after hours, and told me to just wait for her (she was at the vet with a few dogs) and that a guy was going to be coming by with a puppy he was giving up, and to let him into the lobby and ask him to wait.

Anyway, I am sitting the lobby, playing with the loose dogs (the well behaved pooches get to wander around), when this guy comes in with his puppy. He is the typical ignorant non-owner who talked nonstop about how he was so pissed that his son pawned the puppy off on him, and how much of a PITA having a dog was, blah blah blah. The puppy (black lab mix) was obviously really sick. He was lethargic, cold to the touch, covered in ticks and his gums were white. The guy was complaining that he had had bloody diarhea for the past week!
(AND YOU ARE JUST NOW TAKING HIM TO A RECUE/VET)!!!!!! I put the other dogs in the back (just in case what the puppy had was contagous-I was thinking Parvo in the back of my mind) and we waited for Tamara.

Of course the puppy had had no vaccinations, no shots, nothing. The guy says that his other puppy had died the other day after the same symptoms. It was fairly obvious the dog had Parvo. She asked whether he owned the parent dogs, and he said no, his neighbor let his un-fixed dog run around and she had gotten pregnant and they took two of the puppies.
So of course, the guy isn't going to put up the money for Parvo meds (a prescription human anti-flu drug-it's like $100), and the rescue doesn't have the money.

After the guy left, I pulled out my checkbook and wrote her a check for $100. I told her that if the vet thought the puppy had a good chance to survive, to use the $ for his Parvo meds, and if not, then just put it towards whatever they need most. She called my cell last night to tell me that the puppy had been put to sleep at the vet, b/c he was too weak to overcome the Parvo (he was massively dehydrated and malnurished on top of everything else). She asked if I wanted her to not cash the check, and I told her to use it for something else, especially since I (who can afford to take my animal to the vet) had used two weeks worth of meds from them.

I don't think I will ever understand why people get a pet when they have no desire to take care of it! I just don't get it. If you can't afford to feed and water something, don't bring it home! Not like there is someone with a gun to your head telling you to get a puppy, cat, horse, etc. It is so depressing to know that this happens all the time.

The really sad part is that the puppy (had it been in reasonable health) would have been a great adoption candidate. He was a lab mix and he was a puppy. If the guy had brought the dog in when he had first gotten sick, they could have done something and he probably would have found a home. The only good thing is that at least he was euthanized instead of starving to death or slowly dying of Parvo in this guy's back yard. At least he had someone holding him and he just went to sleep.

Thanks for letting me vent.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All I can say is I totally agree with you and
for giving the rescue that check RIP poor little puppy

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is such a sin.
for the poor little puppies. And
for you for helping out the rescue, I'm sure they appreciate it. I try to do the same for the group that's doing low cost sp/neut in my area. Last week I brought them a litter box, and a large bag of food. I know the girls that volunteer there have a small rescue type operation, consisting of a few kind souls that volunteer as foster parents, and are always in need of animal stuff, and if they have the funds they will give it to people more in need.
One hand washes the other!!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's like my neighbor-his live-in girlfriend(?) has a dog and two horses which she takes good care if but he used to have two dongs-now only one. I don't know if his dog has ever seen a vet. He is getting older now (10-ish?) This dog came over used to be chained up outside-yr round. He is a giant malmute but looks in tough shape-big wound on paw, smelly, he must be starting to have hip problems??, wants attention but was in a dog fight a few yrs ago so DH & I and another neighbor are afraid to really touch him now. He kind of listens-always hangs around me when I'm home I walk him "home" and he follos me back to my house My neighbor's girlfriend says she says its "his" dog and I think she would like to take to vet but is concerned about neglect issues.
What a waste of a once beautiful dog.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's horrible and I agree I don't understand why people get something they won't take care of.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RIP sweet Lab mix. So sorry that humans are so heartless and neglectful. Run and play and be healthy and free from pain at the Rainbow Bridge.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adri, your post brought tears to my eyes........that poor puppy! I feel the same way you do.........I can't understand why people get pets and then not care for them properly..........

You know what really breaks my heart? To see dogs tied up outside to dog houses........some of you might not agree, but I want to see all dogs and kitteis inside where it's warm, loved and paid attention to by a loving family.......not living thier life at the end of a three foot chain..............

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How sad

I really wish people would think twice and three times before adopting a pet. Many do it because the animal looks "sooooo cute!' when it's a baby, but to them not so cute when it's full grown! Plus they don't take time to consider the obligation and that having a pet is like having a perpetual 2 year old around that constantly needs attention and discipline and a sitter when you go away, and that this "toddler" will be with you for some 20 years.

So many people think that they can get a pet and just get rid of it when the novelty wears off or when they get tired of their obligation.

Some people are just so thoughtless and stupid!!!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes people adopt pets and then fall into financial crisis, this obviously doesnt apply to this man, but it is just a thought.
I feel so sorry about this dog.
Like mentioned in another thread maybe this guy is from another generation and doesnt believe in taking pets to the vet.
I had a dog in australia that had heart mourmour (sp?) the medication was expensive and after 6 months my dad said that the dog didnt need it, and that it didnt need to go to the vet.
All of our cats werent vaccinated, spayed or neutered. It was like having a breeding farm!

We gave kittens away to who ever was interested.

Why didnt we take them to the RSPCA or to a Cat protection? because we knew that these kitties would have a shorter life span.

In germany my father prohibited me from getting any cats and dogs, when i got Teufel, he said i was stupid in getting him Neutered, when i got Kaylee spayed he thought i was mental for giving out so much money. But then he saw the differences in the cats after the operation and he has realised that its the best option.
He still doesnt understand that they are like my children.

IMO who ever decides to buy a puppy or Kitty, they need to be educated before buying.
My bf would love to have a dog, but for me its a hassle because i know that he wont train it right and that i will be left up to do the work. So i am currently educating him about cats and dogs, because he was literally never brought up with furry animals because of his mothers bad asthma.

It was so kind of you to give out $100 at the shelter

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Adri, your post brought tears to my eyes........that poor puppy! I feel the same way you do.........I can't understand why people get pets and then not care for them properly..........

You know what really breaks my heart? To see dogs tied up outside to dog houses........some of you might not agree, but I want to see all dogs and kitteis inside where it's warm, loved and paid attention to by a loving family.......not living thier life at the end of a three foot chain..............
I feel the exact same way. I think its animal abuse to tie up your dog outside or leave a dog outside unsupervised all day long in any situation....

THis post also brought tears to my eyes...I shouldn't have opened it.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel the exact exact same way.. People are idiots.. and in my opinion their should be stricker laws against people... It's just not right..

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

Sometimes people adopt pets and then fall into financial crisis, this obviously doesnt apply to this man, but it is just a thought.
I feel so sorry about this dog.
Like mentioned in another thread maybe this guy is from another generation and doesnt believe in taking pets to the vet.
I had a dog in australia that had heart mourmour (sp?) the medication was expensive and after 6 months my dad said that the dog didnt need it, and that it didnt need to go to the vet.
All of our cats werent vaccinated, spayed or neutered. It was like having a breeding farm!

We gave kittens away to who ever was interested.

Why didnt we take them to the RSPCA or to a Cat protection? because we knew that these kitties would have a shorter life span.

In germany my father prohibited me from getting any cats and dogs, when i got Teufel, he said i was stupid in getting him Neutered, when i got Kaylee spayed he thought i was mental for giving out so much money. But then he saw the differences in the cats after the operation and he has realised that its the best option.
He still doesnt understand that they are like my children.

IMO who ever decides to buy a puppy or Kitty, they need to be educated before buying.
My bf would love to have a dog, but for me its a hassle because i know that he wont train it right and that i will be left up to do the work. So i am currently educating him about cats and dogs, because he was literally never brought up with furry animals because of his mothers bad asthma.

It was so kind of you to give out $100 at the shelter
My dad still doesn't understand why we fixed the barn cats. He thinks we get the housecats fixed so we don't have messy kittens in the house. I have told him thousands of times why we spay/neuter & had him read stuff on it....to no avail.

It's sad that people do that. The poor puppy deserved a chance at a good home where someone gave a rip about him. Makes me wonder what happened to the others in the litter, if anyone is caring for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we got Carl, we had to read through pages of questions making sure we were aware of the cost and responsibility that came with a pet.

The trouble is these backyard breeders just give away or sell malnurished and unvaccinated (if that is a word) puppies and kittens (and horses, boy have I seen that) b/c they just don't give a damn.

One of my best friends is also a wild animal rescue person (specilizing in reptiles and amphibians). I was telling her about my experience last night and she said that this kind of stuff happens even more frequently to non-furry animals b/c it is easier for people to ignore their suffering. She told me that they once had some teenage boys bring in a tortoise that's shell was split in half-and it had an axe in it. The boys claimed to have found it that way and to have no idea what happened (yeah, right). It's disgusting that people like this exist in the same world.

I think people who run these shelters and rescues are saints for being able to endure what they go through!

The same girl's boyfriend is a public defender, and he is sure that humans don't treat eachother with much more respect than they do their animals.

It is truelly sad.