Scottish Breeders - any recommendations?

sazza

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am soon to be getting my kitten, I am considering a few breeds and haven't yet decided on one in particular.

Does anyone know of any excellent breeders from Scotland?

Many thanks!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not from Scotland, but I would advise you to decide on one or 2 breeds you really are interested in before you do a search on breeders. Most good breeders concentrate on one or two (maybe 3) breeds.

I'm sure when you make up your mind, you'll have some better leads.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sazza

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. I suppose I am looking at siamese/burmese, possible bengal too.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd recommend deciding on your breed first, too - read cat magazines, online articles and visit some cat shows if you can (you might even meet a breeder that way). Once you know what breed you're after I'd recommend looking up a cat club for that breed as they will have a list of breeders who are members and also a list of available kittens - GCCF website has a list of cat clubs that are affiliated . I think that is the best way to find a reputable breeder. If you're new to pedigree cats it would be worth looking at the GCCF guidelines for breeders and buyers so that you can know what to look for - that way you'll be able to tell a backyard breeder from a reputable one. Good luck with your search

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese, burmese, bengals are 3 totally different cats in a lot of ways. I'd read up on those breeds, then make up your mind. Each has its own unique personality and/or problems. Research first because if you pick one, then find out its not the type you really want, what would you do with the cat?

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I recomed reading about the different breeds you are interested in so you know what to expect. I was just reading a thread on some one who bought a Siamese and was over whealmed by their personality (she ofcourse loves her and has started getting used to her) They are VERY talkative. Mica is a Balinese and she is quite vocal and very bonded with human, she likes to follow me where ever I go. Some people love this type of behavior and some find it annoying. Reseaching is your friend and you will end up with a cat you are compatable with.

sazza

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks again, I have been researching, and indeed - I did see that post about the siamese, and now I am reconsidering to be honest! We stay in a flat and I don't think a very vocal cat would be the best idea!!!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sazza

Thanks again, I have been researching, and indeed - I did see that post about the siamese, and now I am reconsidering to be honest! We stay in a flat and I don't think a very vocal cat would be the best idea!!!
Same here - I love siamese and oriental breeds but didn't think it would be a good idea to get a breed known for being vocal (and potentially destructive) while living in a rented flat. That's one of the reasons I chose a Somali (now my favourite breed
). Can you get to the supreme cat show at Birmingham NEC in November? If you could, that is a great place to see all the different breeds and chat to breeders. It's wonderful seeing all the breeds in the fur

sazza

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've found quite a few breeders in my area. One breed which sounds ideal for me is the Abyssinian. I phoned a breeder this morning, who was very helpful indeed! She even invited me to her house to meet her cats!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Abysinnians! Somalis are long haired Abysinnians.

sazza

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

I love Abysinnians! Somalis are long haired Abysinnians.
WOW! I thought they sounded familiar!!! The breeder said they are very friendly, affectionate cats - and are also a bit 'dog-like' in terms of playing fetch!!!

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese/Balinese are dog like too
Mica plays fetch and it more dog than cat. The meowing does improve with age but they will always be more vocal than most cats. It really comes down to whether you like that or not, for me holding conversations with Meeky is one of the nicests things in life. She is also so very loyal to us she is staying with my MIL right now who she gets a ong with(while we move to a new house) but when we visit you can tell who her parents are! Again some people find that exhausting so it really does depend.

I would recommend going to a cat show and seeing all the different breeds there are. You can take the breeders cards of the ones you find interesting and read all you can about them. Then narrow it down to two and call the breeders then. Visit them and see which breed you fall in love with.

Try the Scottish Cat Club for info:
http://www.scottishcatclub.co.uk/Home.htm
They have a bunch of Aby breeders.

One more thing its also really nice for you to visit the kitten you decide on several times before buying. That way you can bond with the kitten and get to know them.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get an Aby...I breed them and they are wonderful. I would suggest you meet with the breeder and find out more about the cats and the breeder. You'll love them, I promise!

sazza

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know, I think they sound like really lovely cats!
Care to share any pics?

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abys are lovely cats. For me they are the ideal, as they combine the best bits of the foreign and oriental type cats but with a more moderate build and slightly calmer temperament. The reason I got a somali rather than an Aby was because Magpie, Jaffa's brother who died last year, was long haired and I wanted to get a longer haired cat again as a sort of tribute to him
Somalis are meant to be a little calmer than Abys due to the gene for long hair, but I think Mosi is the exception to that rule, lol, as he's a hyper little lad. Wouldn't swap him for the world though.