Pet blessing tonight!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight, a nearby church is doing a blessing of pets. Since I've never had the girls blessed, I figured this couldn't hurt!
Have any of y'all ever taken your pets to be blessed? Also, I'm worried about the girls getting nervous being around a bunch of other cats and dogs (even though they'll be in their carriers). Do you think it'd be OK just to bring pictures of the cats to be blessed instead of physically bringing the cats there? I just don't want to stress them out!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As much as I've wanted to, I've never taken mine to be blessed because I know how much it would stress them out. I think taking their pictures to be blessed is a great idea Amy.

It's what's in your heart that counts and as long as you believe in the meaning and significance of the blessing, that's what really matters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

As much as I've wanted to, I've never taken mine to be blessed because I know how much it would stress them out. I think taking their pictures to be blessed is a great idea Amy.

It's what's in your heart that counts and as long as you believe in the meaning and significance of the blessing, that's what really matters.
Thanks Eileen
. I've been wanting to get the girls blessed for some time, and having one happen right around the corner from my apt. (literally) meant it's definitely time! I don't really know what goes on at a pet blessing, but I figured these girls have been such a blessing for me, I should return the favor

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

That is such a wonderful idea Amy
i think the pix are perfect - i mean, it's not like God doesn't know who they are, anyway!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have done them at my church some years. We never took any of ours, because the service was one where a choir was on duty, so we were otherwise occupied. But I was always amazed at how calm and well-behaved all the animals were. We had everything you can think of from the tiny caged beasties, lizards and snakes, cats and dogs and bunnies galore, up to and including llamas and police horses. It was really kind of neat.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amy, I owe you one for the great idea! There's a pet blessing at my neighborhood church tonight, but I can't go, so one of my co-workers who's taking her dog, is going to take pics of my kitties!

There's supposed to be a prayer over the animals, along with treats for them and goodies for the humans. Each person is also asked to bring a can or bag of dog or cat food to donate to a local shelter.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh Fran, I hope we have some of those exotic-type animals at this pet blessing tonight!!!
Llamas? So cool!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Amy, I owe you one for the great idea! There's a pet blessing at my neighborhood church tonight, but I can't go, so one of my co-workers who's taking her dog, is going to take pics of my kitties!
Is there something special about this date that is causing all of these pet blessings today? It's not St. Francis of Assissi (sp) day or something is it??
I'm so glad you're kitties are getting blessed tonight, too!
Yay!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ugaimes

Is there something special about this date that is causing all of these pet blessings today? It's not St. Francis of Assissi (sp) day or something is it??
I'm so glad you're kitties are getting blessed tonight, too!
Yay!
You got it! Oct. 4 is the feast of St. Francis.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's it! The church doing the pet blessing here is St. Francis! (wonder if I'll be the only Methodist in the bunch!)

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that is wonderful !!! Our priest actually came to our home and blessed the home and the animals, as well as our business, too !!

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw that some churches in Toronto were doing pet blessings last week, but none around here! I think it's a marvelous idea!

mom2salemisis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orig. from Texas.. Currently in Minnesota (again)
i found this for those of us who cant go to a pet blessing tonight...

Do-it-yourselfâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] Franciscan Animal Blessing

For all animals:

Blessed are you, Lord God,
maker of all living creatures.
On the fifth and sixth days of creation,
you called forth fish in the sea,
birds in the air and animals on the land.
You inspired St. Francis to call all animals
his brothers and sisters.
We ask you to bless this animal.
By the power of your love,
enable it to live according to your plan.
May we always praise you
for all your beauty in creation.
Blessed are you, Lord our God, in all your creatures! Amen.

For sick animals:

Heavenly Father,
you created all things for your glory
and made us stewards of this creature.
If it is your will, restore it to health and strength.
Blessed are you, Lord God,
and holy is your name for ever and ever. Amen.

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually, I wanted to once. There was a thing going on at the shelter I got Willie at, and there was going to be a priest coming, and we were going to get him blessed. Then, I realized it might just be a little too much for his disorders! But he is blessed, I know that.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pet blessing last night was so neat! The church actually printed up programs. There were several prayers, scripture readings, and a special (very short) sermon on the importance of our pets in our lives. Then the priest blessed each pet individually. I was the only one who just brought pictures of their pets and two people did end up bringing their cats amidst the 20-something dogs! One woman's cat even let her owner cradle her in her arms and she didn't get agitated or even try to jump away (despite all of the dogs). It was so cool
. If anyone is ever so-inclined, I definitely recommend going to a pet blessing- it's such a neat experience!

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a wonderful idea... I have never thought of that. We got our house and car blessed why not our cat...

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
Wow, I have never heard about this before but what a wonderful idea!
Amy I would agree with taking a pic with you. Mine would get stressed out too.
That has just made me smile so much, what an absolutely fantastic thing to do to show your love and appreciation for your pet