photo shop question

animalhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok i got Photo shop 9.0 And I have been doing lots of things with it to get the hang of it, the only thing I am finding difficult, is getting the backgrounds.. :-/ there isnt alot of options, or I Havnt found them yet.. And finding a background to put pics on from the Net, is hard.. I cant find them big enough.. And I am just having trouble. I see all these Siggy with neat Backgrounds, and I Have no idea how to do them lol
Soo If I could get any help that would be super. Thanks bunches

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of us make them from scratch but if you are looking for soemthing you can cut and paste, www.deviantart.com has a whole section of ready made .psd files (some still layered) and you can google 'stock photos' for other sites that have pictures to use (be sure to check the copyright conditions to see how they can be used)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried googling "Photoshop backgrounds", or "tiles"? What you want won't be the right size, but should be easy to resize.
I've found this site really useful for photos (originally recommended by valanhb):http://www.sxc.hu

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As far as I know there is no such thing as Photoshop backgrounds, however there are easy ways to make your own backgrounds using Photoshop. The easiest way I can think of is to look for Photoshop brushes, which you can use to make backgrounds. Since you have Photoshop 9 you will have to make sure the brushes you download are for Photoshop 9 and below. You can't use Brushes for newer versions of Photoshop. Another thing you can look into are filters, as well as Phtoshop Actions, which can alos be used to create backgrounds. To me, the most fun is in creating your own background.

Another thought is to download some Ding Bat fonts, which are graphic files in font form. They also can be used to make backgrounds and the like. I've used Ding Bats on occasion, although more for logo making than for signatures.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

As far as I know there is no such thing as Photoshop backgrounds, however there are easy ways to make your own backgrounds using Photoshop. The easiest way I can think of is to look for Photoshop brushes, which you can use to make backgrounds. Since you have Photoshop 9 you will have to make sure the brushes you download are for Photoshop 9 and below. You can't use Brushes for newer versions of Photoshop. Another thing you can look into are filters, as well as Phtoshop Actions, which can alos be used to create backgrounds. To me, the most fun is in creating your own background.

Another thought is to download some Ding Bat fonts, which are graphic files in font form. They also can be used to make backgrounds and the like. I've used Ding Bats on occasion, although more for logo making than for signatures.
I use Paint Shop Pro X, rather than Photoshop, but I assume you can also use any .jpg or .gif file as a background with Photoshop? I usually search for "free PSP backgrounds OR tiles", and I've put together a collection that way. Sometimes I've found backgrounds for "Playstation Portable", but they work, too. Some of the backgrounds I use are from a "National Geographic" photo DVD I bought, which gives me the right to use the photos it includes. The photos can only be downloaded online with the disc in.
I'm just now getting into brushes - they're a lot of fun.