tuxedo cat w/heart murmur

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I posted in "New Cats on the Block" about my kitty, Lily, who has a heart murmur (picture of her, too). I'd appreciate any input, advice, and happy stories about this condition. My vet said she plans on hearing the squishy sound on checkups for many years to come... Thanks in advance.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!
Lily is such a pretty girl!

I have a 2-year-old male cat, Peter, who has a heart mumur that was first detected when he was 9-months-old. He's doing great so far and is very active, playful and sweet boy.

I'm wondering if your vet recommended any additional testing, such an xray or ultrasound. Some cats, like people, can live for years with heart murmurs, with no problem, but there's a chance the murmur could be a sign of heart disease. Xrays and a cardiac ultrasound are the best ways to determine this. I went this route with Peter and we learned he has very mild HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy - which gradually causes the walls of the heart to enlage and thicken.) There's no cure, but daily medication can slow or even stop the progress of these disease.

I'm only mentioning this because I wouldn't have known Peter had HCM if my vet hadn't pushed the additional testing. He hasn't shown any other symptoms (lethargy, shortness of breath, loss of appetite) and is otherwise healthy.

It might be worthwhile discussing this with your vet, if you haven't already. I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have, so feel free to PM me. Sending lots of vibes to you and Lily!

Also, here's an online support group for people whose cats have heart conditions. I've found it very helpful:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that support group address. My Gizmo has some fibrosis in one of the ventricles of her heart (this was found with an echocardiogram so the vet is positive of the condition), but since this was not full blown cardiomyopathy any drugs she gave for the condition would actually make the condition worse and possibly kill the cat. She took a slow and cautious approach and I went with a food (Nature's Logic) that contained 'neutraceuticals' since Gizzy ate it with no problem.
At her last checkup Gizzy had a normal heartbeat but that doesn't mean that there isn't something going on inside...so it's nice to be able to talk to someone about what, if anything, one can do.

I hope that the kitty with the murmur is okay!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My persian Simba was diagnosed with a heart murmur when he was under a year old. Today he is 10 years and doing very well. Simba was also diagnosed with heart failure 13 months ago and he is still doing very well considering his condition. He still runs and plays with my youngest cat but he does get tired quite quickly and he does sleep a little more then the other cats.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The feline heart support group has been absolutely great. I got some Coenzyme CQ10 at the drugstore last night. It's harmless (no side effects) so I squeeze out the contents of a capsule and mix it with Gizzy's lysine, then give it to her 'by finger'. I also bought a baby spoon which Gizmo tolerates about as well as anything else.

The coenzyme (vitamin Q) is supposed to be good for her heart. At least it won't hurt her.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After two days on the CQ10, the crusty deposit in Gizmo's right nostril has disappeared. I haven't been able to get rid of this with the l-lysine for eight months, so it must be the new vitamin that did it.
The cat has had no side effects!

lizch6699

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

The feline heart support group has been absolutely great. I got some Coenzyme CQ10 at the drugstore last night. It's harmless (no side effects) so I squeeze out the contents of a capsule and mix it with Gizzy's lysine, then give it to her 'by finger'. I also bought a baby spoon which Gizmo tolerates about as well as anything else.

The coenzyme (vitamin Q) is supposed to be good for her heart. At least it won't hurt her.
Where is the feline heart support group? I'd be interested in taking a look at it.

Mama has a severe heart murmur, at least a grade 5 and is almost 2 years old. She was born with it as far as I know, she's a double inbreed cat. I was told that she wouldn't be able to be spayed because of the anesthesia. I waited until she was over a year old and then decided to risk the procedure because I was afraid she would get pyometria. She ended up making it through the procedure without any complications, which was thought to be impossible. So there's always hope
The biggest thing with cats with heart murmurs is playing the, "balancing act."

Here are a couple of my old threads, there's a lot of information in there even though it's directed at spaying risks.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71615

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101622

If you need any help researching a specific issue I'll be happy to help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the information! So far, Lily is doing great. She has a good appetite, is very active and happy. She'll turn three in December. Our vet didn't grade the murmur... she said you can't do that from just listening. I'll ask her in December when Lily goes for her check up, if she should have an ultrasound.

The support group elicon posted is
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Redford was diagnosed two years ago with hypertrophic cardimyopathy. I took him to the kitty cardiologist for his sonogram but they called it something else echiogram I think. I was able to be in the room for the procedure. It took a picture of his heart. Anyway....

His heart was enlarged by a faulty valve that caused his heart to beat faster trying to get blood through the valve. It was severe enough for the doctor to put him on Atenol which is a beta blocker. This slows his heart down. It actually is a people medicine I get it from CVS. I had to tell them it was for a cat because the dosage looked awfully small to them. I glad to see my pharnacist noticed and pointed that out. Makes me feel good about thier knowledge.

At his one year sonogram his heart has become less enlarged. His doctor was very please by the reversal of some of the damage.
He will be on the beta blocker for the rest of his life but that okay. He goes in on the 20th for his two year checkup and I am hoping for more good news.

Tricia

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pleased to hear that the beta blockers helped your cat. Mine hopefully won't have her condition get any worse, but in all likelihood she'll need another echocardiogram in a month's time when she goes for her shots. I am hoping that this brings good news. In the meantime, her health is much improved...though she had an asthmatic attack last night after she insisted on eating some mozzarella cheese.

So, no more cheese, Gizmo. Ever.