Dry advice please!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ok, my endeavor to try to to switch up my crew to a higher quality wet failed miserably as they wouldn't hardly eat any of it, and believe me, I tried every brand and flavor there of out there. If I found one I thought that they gave at least a "B" too, I would feed it again and they would flat out refuse it
so the little butt-heads are eating their Meow Mix pouches and loving it
Now, I want to switch to a more premium dry
hopefully this will go better. I am currently feeding Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lovers Soul, which I feel is a pretty good food. Should I just stick with this, or my other choices are Natural Balance, California Natural, Felidae or maybe Wellness. I have tried Nutro in the past, not with my current kitties, but was not impressed by it as it seemed to upset the other cats' little bellies and make baaaad stinkers
and with almost a dozen kitties in a not so large space, I really do not want stinkies

Advice? opinions? testimonials? please share with me!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
California Natural would get my vote .... WHy not stay with Chicken soup if it is working???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

California Natural would get my vote .... WHy not stay with Chicken soup if it is working???
Well, I guess since I'm feeding them the mid-quality wet, I wanted to get a super premium dry. I won't be spending extra money on wet, so it my as well be on the dry!

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Stick with Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lover's Soul until your kittens grow into adults. Then, if you're searching for an adult cat food I too reccommend California Natural because my cats are doing so well on it. They love the taste of it and... is it me or does Spotty have an even softer, glossier, shinier coat than before? It's also great for sensitive stomachs because it's made with only a few ingredients, all protein coming from chicken, chicken fat, brown rice, sunflower oil, flax seed and vitamins and minerals.

I always offer my cats wet food morning and night and find that they will only eat as much wet food as they want to eat, at least they eat some, but I do find myself throwing uneaten wet food away and as soon as I fill the bowl with California Natural they eat like hungry lions.

Don't give up completely on wet, you might be able to get them to eat a little. You could start by only giving it once a day and as you see them eating more of it you could increase it.

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Danny eats Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea (dry) which he seems to like quite a lot. (I am lucky, he is not at all picky.) Sometimes I will add Feline Vita-Gravy as a treat. Maybe if your crew likes the FV-G a little on the dry food will make it more acceptable to them.
I have found the Feline Vita-Gravy at Petco.
Catfriend

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like the California Natural the best. The Felidae gets snubbed by almost everyone here except Twitch(picky lot of kitties!). The Wellness I've heard good things & bad things about. Natural Balance is good.

Is there any way you can get any sample packs? I realize you would need quite a few of them, but still....

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Samples are a great thing ...

Do you know the kitten and adult formulas of Chicken soup are all life stage?? The kitten reads better to me .. and as long as you dont have a ten and over crew it is a "super premium" just cost less ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

Stick with Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lover's Soul until your kittens grow into adults. Then, if you're searching for an adult cat food I too reccommend California Natural because my cats are doing so well on it. They love the taste of it and... is it me or does Spotty have an even softer, glossier, shinier coat than before? It's also great for sensitive stomachs because it's made with only a few ingredients, all protein coming from chicken, chicken fat, brown rice, sunflower oil, flax seed and vitamins and minerals.
I always offer my cats wet food morning and night and find that they will only eat as much wet food as they want to eat, at least they eat some, but I do find myself throwing uneaten wet food away and as soon as I fill the bowl with California Natural they eat like hungry lions.
Don't give up completely on wet, you might be able to get them to eat a little. You could start by only giving it once a day and as you see them eating more of it you could increase it.
My kitties coats are gorgeous on the Chicken Soup, and they do love it, or in other words, everybody eats it
I only feed wet in the evening for "dinner" it would just simply be too expensive to fed it twice, and i leave dry out all the time. The problem I had with the other wets was they would literally take a bite and walk away, and trust me, these kitties have APPETITES!!! When I feed the Meow Mix they eat every bite, and I really want them to eat the wet for moisture, etc, I just can't afford to throw away uneaten food
As for feeding the kitten formula until they grow up, the problem with that is that I already have 2 adults, Jinx and Sapphire, 3 of my girls will be a year old in a few months, Pandora, Antigone and my semi-feral Medusa, 3 more are 7 months old now, Ismene, Zeus and Demeter and the remaining 2, Eros and nike are alomst 4 months old! Ack, plus I'm getting a approximately 4 year old male this weekend! And I'll admit it, my babies are a little "thick"
This is a very complicated situation

Originally Posted by Catfriend

Danny eats Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea (dry) which he seems to like quite a lot. (I am lucky, he is not at all picky.) Sometimes I will add Feline Vita-Gravy as a treat. Maybe if your crew likes the FV-G a little on the dry food will make it more acceptable to them.
I have found the Feline Vita-Gravy at Petco.
Catfriend
Oh they have no problem eating their dry, at least the Chicken Soup

Originally Posted by white cat lover

I like the California Natural the best. The Felidae gets snubbed by almost everyone here except Twitch(picky lot of kitties!). The Wellness I've heard good things & bad things about. Natural Balance is good.
Is there any way you can get any sample packs? I realize you would need quite a few of them, but still....
That is true, it would just be my luck that I would buy this huge bag and nobody would eat it, the little brats.... it would take quite a few, huh?
Maybe I could start by mixing it in with the Chicken Soup? I'm begining to think I should just stick with the Chicken Soup, if it ain't broke, don't fix it I suppose

Originally Posted by sharky

Samples are a great thing ...
Do you know the kitten and adult formulas of Chicken soup are all life stage?? The kitten reads better to me .. and as long as you dont have a ten and over crew it is a "super premium" just cost less ...
Hmmm, no I didn't know that, but I did realize that the kitten formula is higher in fat and protein, but it is also a little more expensive too. I may just switch back to the adult formula as a couple of my crew DO NOT need the extra fat
Pandora has gotten quite a belly on her and Eros, at 14 weeks, is over five pounds

Jiminy Crickets! I'll just stick with the Chicken Soup, but I'll go to the adult formula
everyone likes it, it is very affordable and I'm not having any problems on it
If my kitties live to be 10 Jennifer, I will be the happiest person on this whole planet, I truly hope they reach double digits

Thanks everyone!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
California Natural gets my vote even though Gizmo can't eat it any more (she is allergic to chicken and really loves her rabbit.)

Cal Natural has only five ingredients, is simple, palatable, and will give your cat a very shiny coat. I'd give the kittens this food when they are no longer kittens. Til then, you can stay with what you have.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

My kitties coats are gorgeous on the Chicken Soup, and they do love it, or in other words, everybody eats it
I only feed wet in the evening for "dinner" it would just simply be too expensive to fed it twice, and i leave dry out all the time. The problem I had with the other wets was they would literally take a bite and walk away, and trust me, these kitties have APPETITES!!! When I feed the Meow Mix they eat every bite, and I really want them to eat the wet for moisture, etc, I just can't afford to throw away uneaten food
As for feeding the kitten formula until they grow up, the problem with that is that I already have 2 adults, Jinx and Sapphire, 3 of my girls will be a year old in a few months, Pandora, Antigone and my semi-feral Medusa, 3 more are 7 months old now, Ismene, Zeus and Demeter and the remaining 2, Eros and nike are alomst 4 months old! Ack, plus I'm getting a approximately 4 year old male this weekend! And I'll admit it, my babies are a little "thick"
This is a very complicated situation

Oh they have no problem eating their dry, at least the Chicken Soup

That is true, it would just be my luck that I would buy this huge bag and nobody would eat it, the little brats.... it would take quite a few, huh?
Maybe I could start by mixing it in with the Chicken Soup? I'm begining to think I should just stick with the Chicken Soup, if it ain't broke, don't fix it I suppose

Hmmm, no I didn't know that, but I did realize that the kitten formula is higher in fat and protein, but it is also a little more expensive too. I may just switch back to the adult formula as a couple of my crew DO NOT need the extra fat
Pandora has gotten quite a belly on her and Eros, at 14 weeks, is over five pounds

Jiminy Crickets! I'll just stick with the Chicken Soup, but I'll go to the adult formula
everyone likes it, it is very affordable and I'm not having any problems on it
If my kitties live to be 10 Jennifer, I will be the happiest person on this whole planet, I truly hope they reach double digits

Thanks everyone!
The adult could be feed to the kittens thou the protein is 4% lower ... If your crew like s and does well stick with what works... If and when it doesnt lots of ideas

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it ain't broke it's not necessary to fix it. And sure most premium foods will promote a healthy, shiny coat. I just meant if you do change their food, this is what I would reccommend.

I prefer fewer grains, that's why I like California Natural but this food will cost you a little more than Chicken Soup. As far as your cats not eating the California Natural, my experience is that my cats can't resist it but then different cats have different tastes. If you do change foods it's best to mix it with the old and do so gradually.

Hey it's up to you, Chicken Soup is a good food, So is California Natural, Another food my cats can't resist is Natural Balance, when Petco was selling the trial packs of the original food, I bought some and mixed them with California Natural as a treat and to stretch out my supply of dry food since California Natural food is a food I have to either take 2 city buses to get or order on line. My cats seem to gobble up these 2 foods(California Natural and Natural Balance) like it's filet mignon.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sadie LOVES Natural Balance. Have you thought about getting a few samples to try?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom

Sadie LOVES Natural Balance. Have you thought about getting a few samples to try?
mine used to really like it, too. altho i switched to the chicken soup, & awhile back bought a bag of the natural balance... they don't like it anymore
i ended up feeding the natural balance to the ferals & bought some more chicken soup