my tuxedo cat & questions

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost two years after losing my beloved Wilde (short for Wildebeest), who was with me for 14 years, my husband gave me a tuxedo cat he picked out from the SPCA for my Christmas present last year. She's a sweetie and it was love at first sight for us both. She follows me everywhere, comes when I call, and answers when I talk to her. She stays by my side when I'm sick.

First question:

I've never had a black cat before, and am wondering if they generally talk a lot? Or is that something you can't generalize?

I'm not complaining at all; I love the way she announces that she's in the room, and she talks to me with that sweet, throaty voice that mama cats use for their kittens. When she runs by me on the stairs, or "buzz-bombs" me, she always makes a little throaty noise so I know she's right there.

She listens well, too. She turns her head to look at me when I talk to her, but if she's very intent on watching a squirrel (or bird), her little ear will swivel towards me when I talk to her, then forward again when I'm done, repeating as often as necessary!

She's 2.5 years old, has a heart murmur, was in heat when brought into the SPCA, and (obviously) survived the surgery to be spayed. Our vet told me her heart sounds better now than when we first got her! I told her it's because of happiness and the vet said, "No doubt!"

Second question:

Does anyone have any happy stories about their kitties with heart murmurs? Our vet said to watch out for shortness of breath or lethargy and to bring her in immediately if I notice either. Does anyone have more advice?

She has an extremely long tail and very long, white whiskers. I named her Lily, because she is delicate and beautiful in every way. Here's a picture of her on our mantel. Thanks for listening!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and Welcome to TCS
Your girl is Lovely for sure
I have 3 Tuxies that are all ones from 16 that I rescued there all as sweet as can be, they are in my Siggy, I can't help with the Heart Murmur but I'm sure someone will chime in soon. My Zazzy makes some strange buzzing, beeping sounds
But My Orange boy Dunkin is the one who can chatter, he can do some talking, Anyhoo Welcome hope you enjoy it here and if you need any help just give a big ole meow and someone will help you

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's gorgeous!

My black/tortie cat, Penelope, is very vocal, too, follows me around and comes when called. She's also a special-needs cat as she has asthma and needs to take inhaled meds twice a day.

I'm so glad you and Lily found each other. Please post more photos!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never thought it could be a color thing... lol
Wickett is very vocal and I love it too. When I get home we tell each other about our days. But my friend had 2 black DSH that weren't very chatty in my memory. Maybe they were shy around strangers (Wickett is) and were more chatty with her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I don't have to be asked twice to post more pictures!
Our family has three people and three kitties.

SPCA website pic of Lily BEFORE she joined us:

Lily now, with long tail and whiskers:

Sparkle, my daughter's cat:

Oberon (my husband's cat) on his back, and Lily:

Oberon doing his Sphinx imitation:

Thanks for looking! I'm so happy I found this site!
Cheers, from
SwampWitch

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lily looks like a totally different cat! She's lucky you hubby found her. Does Oberon (great name btw) ever lay on his belly with his legs behind him? All these cute pics make me really want a new camera.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone, for your replies!

Oberon used to lie with his legs straight out behind him; he's a very funny cat! But he has hip problems now and I haven't seen him do it in years. He's at least 14, but is probably older. My husband and I rescued him 13 years ago; he was abandoned (or ran away from his previous home) and was eating out of gaarbage cans. A week later, he came down with a wicked urinary tract blockage! He has huge eyes (I'll try to get a better pic) and is a VERY big, not fat, cat.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

p.s. When my daughter was five, she said to me, with much doubt in her voice, "Is our cat the King of the Fairies?"!!!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
we're so happy to welcome you and your gorgeous kitties to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions

My little Lily welcomes your beautiful Lily to the board!
Lily's story is so lovely - I don't have any experience of kitties with heart murmurs, you might try posting in the Health Forum - people there might have suggestions for you.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Lily and Swampy:

Omigosh is Lily a beauty! She looks a LOT like my beloved Rani (who's known worldwide as The Most Gorgeous Creature in the Known Universe and Also the Sweetest...and she's humble as well!
) Sounds like she could have a meezer (Siamese) in her family tree, as they are the talkers of the cat world...It's hard to say whether or not she'll become less talky with time, but it's good you appreciate this fine point in her character! I love talky cats, too...
As for cats with heart murmurs, I don't know that I've ever had the experience, although I did share some precious time with two with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, another heart condition. But I myself have a heart murmur, and well, I'm still here! I basically believe that, with anyone, when it's your time, it's your time; but until then, it's QUALITY of life that matters most, so enjoying sharing and loving with your Lily beauty is definitely the thing to do!

Glad you both are here, and hope you enjoy the forum and the site! We sure do!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just tried to get a picture of Oberon, with his big eyes, and this is the best I could do with my isight camera. I was trying to move the computer when he got up to leave... he was NOT amused, but I was!

Cheers, from
"Swampy"

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I just tried to get a picture of Oberon, with his big eyes, and this is the best I could do with my isight camera. I was trying to move the computer when he got up to leave... he was NOT amused, but I was!

Cheers, from
"Swampy"
Hey Swampy and Oberon!

Well, I'm no pro photographer but I like the pic a lot! And you're right -- Oberon DOES have big, luminous golden eyes
Sure is a cutie all right...By the way, I love your tagline and agree 1000% with it
Without cats, who wants life? I say...

Is Oberon named after vintage actress Merle Oberon, by any chance? Just wondering...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, what's not to like? A cat, and a cat lover?!! Purrfect picture!

Either way, Oberon is a great name for a cat! And he's a king, all right -- no bout a doubt it!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Almost two years after losing my beloved Wilde (short for Wildebeest), who was with me for 14 years, my husband gave me a tuxedo cat he picked out from the SPCA for my Christmas present last year. She's a sweetie and it was love at first sight for us both. She follows me everywhere, comes when I call, and answers when I talk to her. She stays by my side when I'm sick.

First question:

I've never had a black cat before, and am wondering if they generally talk a lot? Or is that something you can't generalize?

I'm not complaining at all; I love the way she announces that she's in the room, and she talks to me with that sweet, throaty voice that mama cats use for their kittens. When she runs by me on the stairs, or "buzz-bombs" me, she always makes a little throaty noise so I know she's right there.

She listens well, too. She turns her head to look at me when I talk to her, but if she's very intent on watching a squirrel (or bird), her little ear will swivel towards me when I talk to her, then forward again when I'm done, repeating as often as necessary!

She's 2.5 years old, has a heart murmur, was in heat when brought into the SPCA, and (obviously) survived the surgery to be spayed. Our vet told me her heart sounds better now than when we first got her! I told her it's because of happiness and the vet said, "No doubt!"

Second question:

Does anyone have any happy stories about their kitties with heart murmurs? Our vet said to watch out for shortness of breath or lethargy and to bring her in immediately if I notice either. Does anyone have more advice?

She has an extremely long tail and very long, white whiskers. I named her Lily, because she is delicate and beautiful in every way. Here's a picture of her on our mantel. Thanks for listening!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
I'll be darned if I know why but your beautiful cat reminds me of this nun teacher I had when I was going to a Caholic school.