Kitten changing colour!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wasn't sure where to put this, so here'll do

Our little foster kitten Smudge is changing colour! We got her at 4 weeks old and she had short wiry black fur. As we nursed her back to health, her fur grew longer and softer, but her belly looked a little bald.

I thought it still looked a little bald, but DH pointed out tonight that her belly was actually going grey! I looked at it and sure enough her belly fur is short and grey! I thought maybe it was baby fluff, but it looks as though that colour is spreading.

Can kittens change colour? Is it likely that she'll go all grey, or is she likely to stay black with maybe a lighter coloured belly?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I wasn't sure where to put this, so here'll do

Our little foster kitten Smudge is changing colour! We got her at 4 weeks old and she had short wiry black fur. As we nursed her back to health, her fur grew longer and softer, but her belly looked a little bald.

I thought it still looked a little bald, but DH pointed out tonight that her belly was actually going grey! I looked at it and sure enough her belly fur is short and grey! I thought maybe it was baby fluff, but it looks as though that colour is spreading.

Can kittens change colour? Is it likely that she'll go all grey, or is she likely to stay black with maybe a lighter coloured belly?
Some cats do grow out other colors as they grow older....I would suspect she will remain black but have a gray belly.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love her fluffy black coat, and her future forever meowmy was really keen for a black kitten, so I'd hate for her to change colour now!!

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Squeeker changed color-he is only 4 months old now, but when we first got him at 2 weeks, he was almost all black with a little grey stripe around the eyes, then he turned to an almost brownish looking tabby with short hair and now he is a black/brown tabby with medium to long hair-I think no matter what the color changes to she will still be adorable! I cannot wait to see if this is Squeeker's final colors or if they will change again!