5 cats for sale - going cheap!!!!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had it!!!

I am trying my best - my very best to be patient with these little furballs tonite, but arrrrrrggghhhh.....they are such trouble makers. All I want is to have a little greenery in my home....is that too much to ask? So far I have had to replant my new Pampus Grass 4 times in less than 2 days! I have had my newly planted wandering Jews knocked over, and all 5 of them can't seem to leave the darn fountain grass alone (which I just brought in today)! I thought I was being smart and wrapped them all in a sheet for the night and my little foster man decided he could easily scale the sheet.
I now have 2 knocked over pots that I've had to scoop the dirt up off the rug and try to put back together (again!) and I can't vacuum up the rest of the dirt because it'ss after 10 and the kids are sleeping.
I'll tell ya what - it's a darn good thing these little hellions are cute....or they'd be out on their little furry butts tonite.

Can anyone tell me something I might be able to put on these plants or around them to deter my little trouble makers? I really would like some greenery in the house over the winter and if this keeps up, I'm going to just have to make a dirt pile in the corner of my dining room and grow stuff right on the floor.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can help you too much since we had to deal with a cat who...
- loved to eat the ponytail palm down to the bulb
- would sleep in the cactus garden
- play with cactus she had unpotted
- would knock pots off the shelf when mom scolded her

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you place lemon wedges around the base,cats usually won't go near it.
Also, use the double sided sticky tape and put it around the pot.Maybe some alumium around the base so that will deture them.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I put my plants in an atrium, successfully locked up away from the cats. When we sold that house and lost the atrium, we got rid of the plants.

If you can't hang em high enough, they will always get into them!! So sorry!!

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't have any advice you are looking for, but......AwWWWwwww!!!!!
Look at those little fuzzy, furry faces!!!! You and I both know they are worth the trouble.....

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"But MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM...They JUUUUUUUMPED on us!!"

Fawn can tell you about that. She gets attacked by the Killer Jade and its cohorts every so often. Less so, now that she's all grown up (HAHAHA) and goes outside for her adventures, but even so....

Sorry, no suggestions here, either, except to make sure you have a broom you like. Lots of commiseration, though.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

They make nice very realistic looking silk plants now.
This is what I've switched to. I have a nice fake ivy that Anya likes to knock off the shelf at least once a week. I just bought a REALLY nice fake orchid at World Market that she's ignored so far....

thehouseofgods

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH! my boyfriend likes to garden quite a bit .. and i remember him telling me at one point he put pee in a jar.... but i think that had a lot to do with the territory aspect of the male...as gross as it is.. it just might work

i was thinking though.... some stores offer live cat gras... giving somthing to divert thier attention may just be the way to go!

hope everythign goes well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

They make nice very realistic looking silk plants now.
Sorry - I must have real plants.
I will prevail! I am queen! (who am I kidding
)
I am happy to say though that the fountain grass successfully made it through the night. I uncovered it and I guess that took the fun out of it
The Pampus Grass and Wandering Jew have taken up residence on my kitchen counters for now. Just till they really get going. My babies aren't allowed on my counters so the plants are safe there.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have all of mine in my bathroom around my Garden tub.I have to have some plants in the house too.....makes it seem more of a home.Plus, these are plants from My FIL and my Dad's funerals and I will NOT part with them.SO, they are safe away from my furbabies,since they don't go in my bathroom.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't it so weird being mad at a cute furry little kitty...Anytime trout is bad... while in mid scold I'm smiling because she's soooooo cute..even if she's bad

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm lucky that none of mine bother my plants!! We when I bring the agave plant in for the winter Bobber likes to rub on it with her face!!! I even have lots of plants overwinter in the basement without any problems. They usually (bakker)would knock a plant off the bow windows if he was watching that chipmunk that hangs out taunting him in the front of the house!!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought something called CatScat from the Gardeners Supply Company. You can find them online - they are little spike mats that stick into the dirt with plastic spikes that stick up. I've put those in the dirt all around my bigger plants (I have over 30 plants in my house) and that has worked fantastically to keep the kitties out of the pots.

I have to keep the kitties supplied with fresh cat grass (wheatgrass) at ALL times, or else they will go after my houseplants.

Any plants that even RESEMBLE grass, like spider plants, MUST be kept hanging up REALLY high, or else the cats will try to eat them. I had to bring my ponytail palm to my office at work to rescue it, as Ginger was happily munching the growing tips down to the bulb.

I would strongly recommend that you NOT keep grass plants around, as they will continue to draw the cats. It is very natural for cats to eat grass, not as natural for them to go after most other types of house plants.

As far as your babies not being allowed on the counters - what happens when you aren't home? My babies aren't allowed on the counters, either, but I keep finding evidence that they've been up there when I wasn't home - little sneaks!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave up having flowers in the house, teufel successfully ate my beautiful rose bush so now i wont even put any out on the balcony!

But i just discovered something better, i have an outside window sill in my new place so i can stick all my nice flowers out there!
I also got cheap litter box and filled it up with cat grass, i stick it under the tv so they can eat and eat and eat... Now i have some green in the house and they are allowed to eat it!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I can't hang a plant well out of reach, it spends the winter in my downstairs bathroom with a grow light on a timer.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just have silk ones, because Rosie always bites the heads of my flowers so she'd love real ones!

Yesterday my neighbour popped in and asked what i'd done with all my plants because everythings packed ready for me moving. When i told him i'd stuck them in the bath to wash them and pack them away, he said he always thought they were real because they were so lifelike.

What made me laugh though was when he said he was always jealous of my spider plants because of the babies hanging from them as he couldnt get his real ones to make them