Kittens dropped off

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi
I just got a call from a friend of mine. Her friend had 5 black and white kittens dropped off in their garage last night. The SPCA said to wait overnight to see if momma came back, which she didn't. The kittens are very very young and haven't been fed in at least 24 hours. She just called to see if I "Wanted" them. Basically neither of them can take the cats, and the SPCA isn't calling them back. My friend says that her friend told her that they had stopped meowing and are now "quiet but breathing". We have 4 cats in the house currently, and have raised kittens in the past (with mom's help) but never taken in strays. I also finish my job tomorrow, and am going back to school in January, so I've got some extra time in the next couple of months. Is it safe for me to take these kittens in, or should I leave them to fate? What do I need to know immediately??? Please, any thoughts or suggestions.
Thanks
Jess

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let me see if I can find someone to advise you .........

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If there is any way you can get these kittens to your house, in a small room, away from your resident cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I can keep my bedroom door shut, the cats aren't generally interested in my bedroom anyway

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They need to be retrieved immediately, they cannot go 24 hours without eating. Keep them in your room and get some KMR milk supplement to syringe feed them. I have notifed someone else to advise you who is more knowledgable than me but in the meantime can you got get them now?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok great !!!! By then you should have some sound advise posted for you .... bless you and Good luck !!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sylorna - thank you for rescuing these kittens! I don't know how young they are, so it's really hard to suggest what to do. I don't know if they need to be bottle fed, or if they can eat on their own.

Are their eyes open? If not, they're just a few days to a week old, and it would be a miracle if they've survived without food this long. If their eyes are open but are blue, then they're still very young and need to be bottle fed. Get to any store and purchase KMR for them. Most vets carry it as well - along with the bottles - or syringes.

Also, most importantly, if they're very young and still alive, they MUST be kept warm!!!!

Here's a FANTASTIC link: http://www.kitten-rescue.com

sheascavies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good Luck.

Here is my two cents. My friend raised an orphan kitten and she would give it KMR. Also she had to help them relieve themselves by rubbing his bottom. Hopefully someone comes along and gives you more advice and instruction.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do keep them separate from your other cats. If they are very small and cold but breathing, you may have to take them to a vet.
You can try warming them up: http://www.kitten-rescue.com/cold_kitten.html . If they're real small and cold, I don't know if you have any - but according to the kitten rescue site, they should only be fed diluted children's pedialyte (or "equivalent - though I don't really know what that is!) for the first two hours: http://www.kitten-rescue.com/bottle_feeding_kitten.html

If they don't respond to being warmed up and fed what I guess is sugar water - but they're still alive - I would suggest an emergency vet visit, if such a thing exists near you. If the vet you use doesn't have emergency services, you can either check the yellow pages or http://www.pets911.com - use your zipcode and click on the vets button to the left.

Most importantly, no matter what happens, know that you tried!

In the meantime, I'll go check out the Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care thread. I personally have never had to revive baby kittens. We've fostered a hand-sized kitten that was already eating solid food - but did need abdominal stimulation with a warm towel to help her poop. This, too, is covered at the Kitten Rescue site.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I guess the teeney kitty we rescued could or should theoretically have been bottle fed - according to the Kitten Rescue site weaning should take place at around 6 - 7 weeks, and the kitty we fostered was only about four. But she lapped up KMR and ate wet food just fine. Of course, we need to clean her up after every meal.

Bottom line here is - get them warm. If they're cold, feed them the diluted pedialyte (half pedialyte and half water that has been boiled and cooled) - or the pedialyte substitute, which link is here: http://www.kitten-rescue.com/what_to_feed.html:

Home-made Pedialyte

* 1 cup water (boiled then cooled)
* Small pinch of baking soda
* Small pinch of Salt
* 2 teaspoons of sugar

Mix all ingredients well. Make sure the mixture has been slightly warmed before feeding to your kitten. The mixture will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Feed 1ml (1cc) every half an hour for the first two hours using a dropper or feeding syringe. Also make sure your kitten is on his tummy and not his back when you feed. Feed very slowly so the fluid does not go down the wrong tube and choke your kitten.

After two hours, if your kitten has warmed up, you can begin to feed him formula. Never feed a kitten cow's milk or human baby formula as this causes stomach upset and severe diarrhea. He can have a commercially available formula such as KMR or Just Born, but if you don't have any of this, you can make up your own formula to use until you can get hold of some from a vet or pet shop.
Home-made kitten formula (Kitten Glop)

* 8 ounces water (boiled then cooled)
* 1 envelope Knox unflavored gelatin
* 8 ounces whole evaporated milk (not skim)
* 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (not low fat)
* 2 tablespoons plain yogurt (not low fat)
* 1 large or 2 small eggs yolks (raw)
* 1 teaspoon clear Karo syrup
* * 1-3 drops liquid pet vitamins
* * 1 capsule acidophilus
* * 1 drop Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE)
* * Optional, though very beneficial.

Boil the water, add the gelatin and mix well. Add the following ingredients in order, mixing well after each addition:

1/2 of the canned milk
Mayonnaise and Yogurt
Rest of the milk
All other ingredients

You can substitute canned goat's milk for the canned evaporated milk, if you prefer it. This mixture will keep in the fridge for up to four days. It is jello-like in consistency in the fridge so you can just scoop out as much as you need and warm. It can also be frozen in ice cube trays and defrosted as needed. You can find pet vitamins at a pet store or your vet, and acidophilus and GSE in the liquid form at a good health food store.

If you prefer, you can use this recipe permanently, instead of a commercially available kitten formula. If you are using a commercial formula, add a quarter of a teaspoon of full fat yogurt to the first bottle of each day. This will aid in your kitten's digestion.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Again - from the kitten rescue site (like I said - a GREAT site!):

Feeding Techniques: http://www.kitten-rescue.com/feeding_techniques.html

To feed your kitten, use a dropper, syringe, doll's bottle or ideally, a specifically designed nursing bottle, available from most grocery and pet stores. If you are using a bottle, the size of the hole in the nipple is critical for success. If the bottle is turned upside down and formula dribbles from the nipple, the hole is too large. Use of this nipple may cause choking and formula ending up in your kitten's lungs. If the bottle is turned upside down and formula comes out only after considerable squeezing of the bottle, the hole is too small. Use of this nipple will result in your kitten becoming discouraged and refusing to nurse. The hole is the proper size if the bottle is turned upside down and formula drips slowly from the nipple.

The nipples supplied with a nurser bottle or kits are not pierced. To pierce the nipple, wet it thoroughly inside and out with the boiled, cooled water and then heat a small pin or needle in a flame until it glows red. Quickly pierce the top of the nipple and remove the pin. Test the flow of the bottle and repeat the process if the hole is too small. Rinse the nipple thoroughly with more boiled cooled water, making sure to squeeze some water through the hole.

Warm the formula to body temperature - about 100oF. Do this by immersing the bottle in a cup of hot water or by removing the nipple and warming in the microwave for a few seconds. Shake the bottle well after warming to make sure there are no hot spots in the formula and check the temperature. It should be warm but never hot. Never re-use formula that you have warmed. Discard it and use fresh formula for each feed.

Place your kitten on it's tummy on a soft surface such as a blanket or towel and gently place the nipple into his mouth. Tilt the bottle up slightly so the nipple is full of milk. He should automatically begin sucking. If he refuses to take the nipple, place a little dab of Karo syrup on his tongue to stimulate his sucking response. Never squeeze formula into his mouth as this can cause choking. Feed your kitten until he is comfortably full, not until the stomach is tight and distended. When he is full, small bubbles of formula will form around his mouth and he will spit the nipple out. Now you must burp him, just like a human baby. Hold him on your chest, lap or shoulder and gently rub and pat his back with two fingers until he burps.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And.... Feeding Schedule http://www.kitten-rescue.com/kitten_..._schedule.html

Birth to 1 week: Feed every 3 hours (8 feedings per day)

From 1 to 3 weeks: Feed every 4 hours (6 feedings per day)

From 3 to 4 weeks: Feed every 5 hours (5 feedings a day)

From 4 to 5 weeks: Feed four to five times a day.
Total Formula required per day

Birth to 1 week: 24cc

1 week: 32cc

2 weeks: 54cc

3 weeks: 80cc

4 weeks: 104cc

5 weeks: 128cc

As a guide, a kitten should drink about 8cc's of formula per ounce of body weight per day.

For example, a kitten that is only one or two days old, will need 24cc divided into 8 feedings, which is 3cc per feed. He may drink a little more or less but you'll know if he's receiving enough formula by monitoring his weight gain.

Sometimes kittens are too weak to feed. This is when you need to tube feed. If you have never done this, please consult your vet in the proper way to tube feed. You can also contact a local wildlife rehabilitation center if one is near you and ask if you can have a special feeding nipple. This is an elongated nipple that attaches to the bottle and goes further down into the throat without being so intrusive as to go all the way to the stomach. Use this tip with great care (do not choke your kitten or force fluids too quickly). Again, having someone experienced in using this and showing you how would be the best way to go.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Obviously I don't want to reproduce the entire kitten-rescue site here, but I thought I'd get the most important parts all in one place. The best thing to do is to give that site a good thorough read.

Most of all, sending you HUGE good luck vibes! Depending upon how small the kittens are, it may be a very difficult - if not impossible - task to revive them at this point. But I'm so glad you're going to try, and again, most importantly, don't beat yourself up if anything goes wrong!!!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so they're here. I read a bit of that same site before I left (great minds think alike). It suggested using thicker pablum for humans overnight if needed...and since the petstores are closed, that's what I did. We got a bottle (which I cut the end slightly off of) and some infant mix. When I picked up the kittens they were so icy cold to the touch that I had to make sure they were still alive. We got out of there ASAP, to get them home and warm. As the site suggested, we're using a heating pad wrapped in an old t-shirt on medium. They all ate a little bit, and at least urinated when we tried to help them along. My sister came up with a method of holding the pablum in the palm of her hand and the kitten in the other...they seemed to suckle much better on our hands then on the bottle or seringe. They started crying and squirming as soon as they got some food and warmth..and then after a burping etc settled down for a group nap. Poor things, I can feel their spines and ribs! They do have fleas, so it appears that the advantage is comming out for the rest of the house (even though they are seperated). Also they're pretty dirty, but I didn't want to have them cold and wet immediately, so that can wait till tomorrow.
One of them has his/her eyes open...they're milky blue, but the rest of them are still closed. They are also making attempts at walking.
My sister and I will be at close watch until we can get some help from the SPCA (the local one has burnt down recently, and they're low on support).
Thanks for the help! Cuz, man, I need it.
Jess

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for rescuing these babies! I'm glad you've already been directed to Kitten Rescue - it really is one of the best resources out there.

One thing to mention, do not give these babies a bath. Kittens get chilled very, very easily no matter how much you work at warming them up after a bath. Use a flea comb and comb the babies. Dip the comb with the fleas into a glass/bowl of water with a drop of dishwashing liquid in it (this makes it so the fleas can't climb/jump out of the water and drown). Wipe off the comb thoroughly between dipping and combing again.

I'll move this to Pregnant Cats & Newborn Kittens for you where our kitten experts will be able to help you more.

Good luck with these little ones!

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's great! I'm surprised at that young of an age they were able to survive for so long, a couple of things...
- be careful with the heating pad and make sure the kittens have room to go to the edges in case it gets too hot for them
- also, hold off on any bathing as they can't regulate their body temperature it's not safe, but you can take a very slightly damp cloth and gently wipe them off (in short strokes, like mom would do to them) and make sure they're completely dry before you start on the next one. A little bit of cleaning might even help with the fleas but I'm afraid when they're a bit healthier it'll take a lot of time and a flea comb (and a bucket of Dawn water, see other posts for more information). I would suggest going after the fleas fairly soon if they keep improving b/c I think fleas in young kittens can make them anemic.
- finally, with our fosters since they were only 4 weeks old, my fiance and I took shifts checking on them, didn't take too much time, just someone waking up and checking to make sure everyone was doing ok and offering them a bit of food so you may want to do that, since they're so young, maybe have someone check on them every 30-60 min.? I know it sounds like a lot (and it'll make the morning pretty tough) but it's so crucial at this stage!

This is AMAZING of you to do, I wish you the best of luck and look forward to your updates!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

Ok, so they're here. I read a bit of that same site before I left (great minds think alike). It suggested using thicker pablum for humans overnight if needed...and since the petstores are closed, that's what I did. We got a bottle (which I cut the end slightly off of) and some infant mix. When I picked up the kittens they were so icy cold to the touch that I had to make sure they were still alive. We got out of there ASAP, to get them home and warm. As the site suggested, we're using a heating pad wrapped in an old t-shirt on medium. They all ate a little bit, and at least urinated when we tried to help them along. My sister came up with a method of holding the pablum in the palm of her hand and the kitten in the other...they seemed to suckle much better on our hands then on the bottle or seringe. They started crying and squirming as soon as they got some food and warmth..and then after a burping etc settled down for a group nap. Poor things, I can feel their spines and ribs! They do have fleas, so it appears that the advantage is comming out for the rest of the house (even though they are seperated). Also they're pretty dirty, but I didn't want to have them cold and wet immediately, so that can wait till tomorrow.
One of them has his/her eyes open...they're milky blue, but the rest of them are still closed. They are also making attempts at walking.
My sister and I will be at close watch until we can get some help from the SPCA (the local one has burnt down recently, and they're low on support).
Thanks for the help! Cuz, man, I need it.
Jess
Jess..I have a very good friend in California who only works with orphaned kittens so you also may want to email her:

[email protected]

Sounds like you are doing a terrific job. As far as the fleas go....you definately need to address that ASAP as fleas can kill kittens. Get a flea comb and run it through the kittens fur...any fleas you pull out should immediately be placed in a glass of water that has a drop of dawn dishwashing detergent in it. Dry the comb off and continue the process. Right now...warmth is really a big factor so monitor their progress with the heating pad.

Katie

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good on you for giving them a chance!! It's an incredibly rewarding experience if you can keep them alive and turn them into strong, healthy cats! You will also be rewarded with kitties that love human contact.

I got a little foster baby who was 4 weeks old and not in a good way. I mixed in Pedialyte with the KMR as well as water to try and get her hydration levels up.

She was eating tinned food on her own, but it was low quality that I was given and she was underweight - you could also feel her ribs, and her bony little spine. I started her on a mixture of Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lovers Soul tinned food, Royal Canin babycat dry food (for kitten 1-4 months old), KMR, Pedialyte, Gerber chicken baby food, and a high calorie kitty supplement. I made a big quantity up, then warmed up however much I needed, and gave her that and she loved it and thrived on it. I haven't been able to feel her ribs for a couple of weeks now, and she's almost caught up to the weight she should be, and is just on tinned and dry food now.

This doesn't really help you right now, but may be good to note for when they get a little bit bigger