Early Spay and neuter

animalhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I have momma cat and her 5 babys, which I WANT to get them all spayed/Neutered before they go to a new home, and get there 1st shots.. But i have fell into a financial bind.. :-/ And the cheapest I am finding is 35 per male/40 per female for the Spay/neuter,and 20 per kitty for rabies and Distemper. That is alot of money.. :-( And I cant afford it. I need some advice .. I took in the stray momma, not knowing she was prego, till a week after i got her, and she was getting larger. :-/ Should I try to only get the Males fixed, or should I get the females fixed.. and the mom, should i trust that they will be taken care of!? Should I write something out, that I have the new owners sign saying they will get them fixed, and there shots!? And if I do that, How should I put it, and enforce it?!! I just wanna do right by these lil babies.. And I dunno what to do.. All the spay neuterprograms are those prices or more.. And to get it done for free I would have to be on State assistance... Or give them to a shelter, where they have been over run by kittys as it is. I just wanna get them taken care of, and then send them on there way with new homes.. :-/ Any suggestions? They will be 8 weeks the sun of the 22nd.. And I wanna have a Idea of what to do before then!

Thanks

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by animalhouse

Well I have momma cat and her 5 babys, which I WANT to get them all spayed/Neutered before they go to a new home, and get there 1st shots.. But i have fell into a financial bind.. :-/ And the cheapest I am finding is 35 per male/40 per female for the Spay/neuter,and 20 per kitty for rabies and Distemper. That is alot of money.. :-( And I cant afford it. I need some advice .. I took in the stray momma, not knowing she was prego, till a week after i got her, and she was getting larger. :-/ Should I try to only get the Males fixed, or should I get the females fixed.. and the mom, should i trust that they will be taken care of!? Should I write something out, that I have the new owners sign saying they will get them fixed, and there shots!? And if I do that, How should I put it, and enforce it?!! I just wanna do right by these lil babies.. And I dunno what to do.. All the spay neuterprograms are those prices or more.. And to get it done for free I would have to be on State assistance... Or give them to a shelter, where they have been over run by kittys as it is. I just wanna get them taken care of, and then send them on there way with new homes.. :-/ Any suggestions? They will be 8 weeks the sun of the 22nd.. And I wanna have a Idea of what to do before then!

Thanks
What I would do is start advertizing the kittens now and let people decide which ones they want. Then collect a "deposit" for the kitten (enough to cover the shot and spaying/neutering), explain to the new owner that you will hand over the kitten(s) once they have had the procedure done...OR they can pick up the kitten from the vet office once the procedure is done. Then, you only have to cover mom cat's spay.

Katie

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to say something similar. Can you get it done and then charge that much for the adoption fee? That is what I would do. Never give kittens away for free.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

animalhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I wasnt going to give them away for free.. but there is SOOO Many around here that people are giving away for free... :-/ And i was worried no onewould pay for them..

liz85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It would be worth the ppl to be buying a kitten they know has been checked out by a vet and has been spayed or neutered...I mean if they are gonna have all that taken care of there should be a price in peace of mind knowing the kitten they are buying has been properly taken care of....Im so glad to hear about ppl having them fixed...i have been reading a lot on here and way too many i want just one litter just one just one....grrrr sorry for ranting lol i just hate seeing stray animals in the cold winters here!!!!
I wish you best of luck, Great job

Liz and the new additions to her family( the furry ones lol)

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by animalhouse

Well I wasnt going to give them away for free.. but there is SOOO Many around here that people are giving away for free... :-/ And i was worried no onewould pay for them..
Another idea....contact some rescue groups and see if they would allow you to place these kittens through them BUT you would foster the kittens until they are ready. Let the rescue group charge their adoption fee.

Katie