De-worming for cats

ilovecats22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi to u all!
I really love pets and Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve being interested in animal all my life !
I have 2 dogs : T-bone & Rex and a cat for the last 2 years whoâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s name is Robert. lately Robert has been having worms, (is it possible that he got it from the neighborâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s dog or other dogs and cats???)
I want to the vet and he gave me some de-worming pills for him. I tried to crumble the tablet into his food but he notice it right away.
I tried wrapping it with some sausage but he refuse to swallow it .
I even tried using force but Robert kept scratching and twirling!!!
what can I do ??
Elizabeth

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello & Welcome Elizabeth!

I haven't eve had to deworm using a pill. I got liquid dewormer from the vet's office.

I have given pills by scruffing the cat, popping the pill way back in the mouth, holding the mouth shut, & with the head tilted back rubbed the neck. It's not very nice, but it *usually* works for the stubborn pillers at the shelter here. If you can get someone else to wrap Robert in a blanket or towels so he can't scratch you, it might help.

shelleybik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
when i de-worm my adult cats i wrap the pill in a small piece of cheese,get hubby to hold the cat and pop the cheese into the mouth,they like the taste of cheese so they swallow it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I had 2 cats I was always picking up strays and getting them checked over and fixed and then finding a good home for them.

One kitten I picked up was "dewormed". The vet I had at that time was a moblie one and came to the house. I believe he gave her a pill. Later that night I was freaked out when the kitten used the litter box. I had never seen anything like it in my entire life!!!! It looked like she was pooping a long spaghetti noodle and it was coiling and coiling into the litter box. She looked like she was in agony, the poor baby
I called the vet and he told me that it was a worm that she was excreting. I was totally freaked out and didn't even want to touch the litter box because I'm terrified of those things. It wasn't moving so I assume it was dead, but OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope I never have to go through that ever again!

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
be sure you are using a flea/tick/mite/worm neck drop treatment in conjunction with the worming pill from the vets. like advocate, revolution, stronghold (not frontline) see if you can get an eye dropper or a 1 ml or 2 ml syringe crush the pill and mix with warm or hot water suck it up in the tube of the syringe or dropper and administer it into the mouth that way. scruff him and face a wall with your knees up against it put him between your knees and face him to the wall.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If none of the other ideas work, here is how I pill Polly:

1. Kneel on the floor and wedge cat between knees. Or, get a 2nd person to hold the cat.

2. Put thumb on one side of head, fingers on the other side. Tip head back gently, so cat is looking up at you. This releases the mouth allowing you to open it.

3. Put pill between thumb and first finger. Use middle finger to open mouth. Place pill as far back on tongue as possible.

4. Close mouth. Hold closed until cat swallows. Blow in his face if he doesn't swallow right away.

5. Give a treat right away.

Make sure you approach your cat calmly. If you act like it's no big deal, he won't think it's a big deal. But if you are stressed and nervous, he will be too. They really can pick up on human feelings.

Let me know if you need me to explain this better. Polly has to take medicine every night, so I have a lot of practice.

animal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i always use the spot on wormers on my animals..u get it from your vets..my cats always knew if i put pills in their food and crushing it and trying to forse always got my scratched to heck..so i always use these now

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by animal

i always use the spot on wormers on my animals..u get it from your vets..my cats always knew if i put pills in their food and crushing it and trying to forse always got my scratched to heck..so i always use these now
frontline spot on treatment does not cover worms. you still need to worm your cats with a worming pill. if you are refering to another drop on the neck treatment there still isn't a drop treatment that covers all worms. Advocate is the best you can get and has the most coverage but it doesn't cover tapeworm. Revolution and Stronghold are the other two but they don't cover some things that the Advocate does. there is not an all in one treatment yet, you must use a worming tablet in combo with the 'spot on' treatment. especially if you are using frontline. Also because frontline has been around for so long a lot of the flea population has become ammune to it and it's not as effective as some of the new treatments. make sure you update your treatments every year or so to be sure of complete protection!

please be sure you are placing the drops directly on the skin and not just on the fur or you lose most of it's affect.

rafilolo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by ilovecats22

Hi to u all!
I really love pets and Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve being interested in animal all my life !
I have 2 dogs : T-bone & Rex and a cat for the last 2 years whoâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s name is Robert. lately Robert has been having worms, (is it possible that he got it from the neighborâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s dog or other dogs and cats???)
I want to the vet and he gave me some de-worming pills for him. I tried to crumble the tablet into his food but he notice it right away.
I tried wrapping it with some sausage but he refuse to swallow it .
I even tried using force but Robert kept scratching and twirling!!!
what can I do ??
Elizabeth
you can open your catâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s mouth an try putting it on his tongue and make
him swallow it or you can try some websites than sales all kings of medicines of cats and dogs but one seems very sufficient ‘cause itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s wrapped in dry food and in different flavors
you should try it …
Tasties Worm-Out

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rafilolo

you can open your cat’s mouth an try putting it on his tongue and make
him swallow it or you can try some websites than sales all kings of medicines of cats and dogs but one seems very sufficient ‘cause it’s wrapped in dry food and in different flavors
you should try it …
Tasties Worm-Out
You might want to read this thread about OTC wormers: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101067

You could try hiding the pill in a so-called "pill pocket" (available from many suppliers; this is just an example):http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc...0619&click=124

animal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the worming drops i get cover tapeworm *which i was told is the most common in cats*..so i just use that..i guess really i should be looking at something for ringworms too..well im heading out to town tomorrow so ill check it out in my pet shop or ring the vets

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best thing to do is have the vet de worm... One vet I have used , swears by drontal as I guess it covers all worms without as many ill effects...
Have the stool checked and then worm according to what kind kitty has ....

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you won't find anything at your pet shop that will cover all the worms/fleas/ticks/mites/mange. you will need to go to the vets or you can order them online at www.deadfleaz.com you want Advocate(for fleas/ticks/most worms/mange/mites) and Drontal (for the other worms)
this site is cheaper than the vets.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by animal

the worming drops i get cover tapeworm *which i was told is the most common in cats*..so i just use that..i guess really i should be looking at something for ringworms too..well im heading out to town tomorrow so ill check it out in my pet shop or ring the vets
Ringworm is not actually a worm - it's a fungal infection. I really think you should let your vet check your cat and his stool to ensure you are treating for the right thing. If you didn't know that ringworm was a fungal infection, it's unlikely you would know what worms you are dealing with. Please, for your kitty's well-being, see a vet for your medications.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kanji

To solve this problem that you describes you should use the wormer of . This is a pet health site that have found a patent how to make the dog/cat eat the anti-worm medicine.
Good luck with Robert!
I just looked at that site you posted in your only two posts I've seen and they don't even say what the ingredients are, active or inactive.
I think anyone that would buy something blind like that just because it's made so the animal will take is would be making a huge mistake.

If you will look at other posts on this site, you will see that pretty much all advise letting the vet determine what wormer your cats and dogs should have.

For all I know, Tasties could be rat poison wrapped up in some nice tasting treat.

I don't know who the site belongs to, but I think it is very irresponsible to promote a product for an animal to ingest that has no information whatsoever about what's in it and what it might kill besides worms!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
tru - you are right on the button. Buying any medication over the internet is risky business. Especially so when we are uncertain what is causing our pet to be sick. Nothing replaces a vet visit. Nobody can diagnose and recommend treatment over the internet. That's not to say that the experienced old-timers here cannot make suggestions from their experience for things like helping diarrhea, etc., but even then they will recommend checking with the vet to find out the cause of the diarrhea.

As for medications - see your vet!