This makes me cry

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunchbox

Read this. It's from our local paper. I am totally for spay/neuter but there has to be a better way.
It makes me so glad that we took in Obi-Wan instead of having him go to the shelter.

Here's the article link

http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.co.../3188798.shtml
Actually....there is no way to adopt our way out of the overpopulation. It does require that we spread the spay/neuter word. If you find a homeless cat....treat it to a day at the vet with either a spay or neuter surgery. Every spayed/neutered cat is one fewer breeding cat.

Katie

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is such a sad, sad situation. 80% of the kitties in the state overall will be euthanized
I was glad to see that the State of Maine has programs that pay for the neutering of pets of owners who are on public assistance. And I was concerned when I read the response posts of people who weren't allowed to adopt
I know that it is difficult to determine who will be a good owner, but is the alternative any better

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And I was concerned when I read the response posts of people who weren't allowed to adopt I know that it is difficult to determine who will be a good owner, but is the alternative any better
There were 2 posts from people who said that they were turned away and you do not know the shelter's side of the issue. As someone who has had to turn people down because of our rescue's policies, I always take disgruntled posts with a grain of salt.

Katie

dulcie riley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I almost wrote a response to that about how giving them away free has many pitfalls but I thought "surely the shelter workers must know this!!" I can just see all the nefarious types seeking free pets, sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! (Tho I am sure the people there are good at checking and vetting (no pun intended) all the wannabe furbaby parents.

I visited Maine once a long time ago - want to go there again. Is that where you live? Kennebunck? We were in the Freeport area - had to visit LL Bean's, lol

It is sad, just like that video above. If only people were responsible.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't mind slapping the people who wrote comments. The cat was sick so they took it to the shelter? Fabulous! So instead of vet treatment, you sent it to a stressful, overcrowded place so it could be euthanized! Of course they won't give an irresponsible person like that another cat!

I'm so glad my local shelter is keeping up a little better than that one. I'm not sure what the euthanization rate is, but they narrowly avoided euthanization due to overpopulation in August by doing a huge adopt-for-cheap adoptathon.