TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › Have you ever heard of a vet telling you NOT to spay a kit??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Have you ever heard of a vet telling you NOT to spay a kit??

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
My vet told me i had to cancel Kinseys spay surgery ( shes 5 MONTHS!) because of her constant URI infection (which she hasnt had a temp from) he knows she sneaks out frequently no matter how much she is confined. Im rather Ticked off because i am petrafied she is pregnant...but i will not do a spay abort if she is. I am just wondering why he would advise against it.
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaclyn4238 View Post
My vet told me i had to cancel Kinseys spay surgery ( shes 5 MONTHS!) because of her constant URI infection (which she hasnt had a temp from) he knows she sneaks out frequently no matter how much she is confined. Im rather Ticked off because i am petrafied she is pregnant...but i will not do a spay abort if she is. I am just wondering why he would advise against it.
Your vet may be concerned about her weakened immune system due to the URI..but I would definately call around and see if another vet is willing to spay her...especially given that she has escaped.

Katie
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Then if it is her weakened immune system and another vet agrees to spay her... what if any potential harm will be done? I was always under the assumptiong that they used anti biotics to get things under control and go along with the surgery...just like they would in a human
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaclyn4238 View Post
Then if it is her weakened immune system and another vet agrees to spay her... what if any potential harm will be done? I was always under the assumptiong that they used anti biotics to get things under control and go along with the surgery...just like they would in a human
Some vets will spay a cat even with a URI...but others want to wait until the URI has cleared. I would call around and see what other vets say.

Katie
post #5 of 13
Due to health issues (as in he had zero immune system along with a list of other problems) I was advised not to get my Possum (RIP) fixed by his regular vet. I did have another vet tell me there was no issue with getting him done except it was possible he could devlope an infection and that would have killed him. So, I'd call around if I was you specially if you think she got pregnant.
post #6 of 13
I have... our previous vet (he was in his 60s, very old school) was reluctant to spay Sneakers because of her breathing problems and small size (4.5 lbs). It wasn't a big deal at the time, so we just went with it. Now we found a vet who will spay her, so we're getting it done in a couple weeks.
post #7 of 13
I use to work at an animal hospital, once a cat kitten came in for a spay, had a mild URI and she died on the table. Another time a lady adopted an adult cat and same thing happened. Now my vet wont spay/neuter if an animal is sick at all.

We worked with the pound and would spay/neuter animals for them that were adopted. The pound would defer surgery on any cat or dog that was sick because it isnt safe.

I know differnt vets have differnt ways of doing things, but i would never send one of my animals in for surgery if it was sick, even if it was getting over it. I wouldnt chance it. I would just wait till the sickness has passed, then schedule the surgery.
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
I know differnt vets have differnt ways of doing things, but i would never send one of my animals in for surgery if it was sick, even if it was getting over it. I wouldnt chance it. I would just wait till the sickness has passed, then schedule the surgery.
I agree, even though spray/neutering is so common and really a necessity with the over-population of cats, there is still a risk as with any surgery. I would confine her to one room if that's what it takes, and when her URI has cleared up, then spay her. It's a risk I wouldn't want to take with my cat.
post #9 of 13
There use to ba a misconception that you couldn't fix a leukemia postive cat, but that has been debunked thank goodness!
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Im going with my gut and waiting until her URI has cleared completly... i will not do a spay/abort if she is pregnant. But those kittens will be spuetered at a low cost clinic before they leave my house. just pray she isnt preg! and pray she gets better i hate seeing her miserable!h
post #11 of 13
I can understand your vets way of thinking, but you do need to make sure she doesn't get out, esp if you are unwilling to do a spay/abort due to the health risks for her, and her age.
post #12 of 13
My sister's vet advised her to wait a month or two before getting her new kitten (who may be as old as 6 months) spayed, because she is underweight. She gained at least 1/2 to 1 pound since my sister took her in and was over 3 pounds but still is skinny... Since she is never going to be allowed outdoors it is not too big of a deal for them to wait...although it would be nice to get her spayed sooner rather than later if she really is 6 months old! (we got conflicting ages from different vets...)
post #13 of 13
My vet would not spay Persil at the normal time because he considered she needed more time to recover from major surgery when she was 4 months old (she had a ruptured diaphragm). So she went into heat once before he felt she was sufficiently strong for another op.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › Have you ever heard of a vet telling you NOT to spay a kit??