Upset roommate

c_powers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten Myrtle is 6 months old. She is still learning what is wrong and what is right and we are trying the best we can to teach her.

My roommate and stepsister, however, gets very frustrated and angry with Myrtle when she does something "wrong".

For example, she likes to scratch at the area rug. We got her a carpet covered scratching post and place her there whenever she starts scratching something else. But when Myrtle forgets and just goes for the other things, my roommate screams at her and proceeds to soak her with the bottle. Same for when she jumps on the table.

Is there any more affective ways of training a young kitten to stay off or away from things? And how can I explain to her, more than how I already told her that mentally Myrtle is only about 3 1/2 years old, that getting angry or upset isn't worth the trouble since she doesn't know any better?

I don't want her to get so angry that she wants me to get rid of her.
Help!

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Besides the scratching post, also get her one of the cardboard scratchers that lay on the floor. She may prefer scratching in that position and that might make her training a little easier.

I am against squirting cats and especially kittens. As you said she is very young yet and I don't think the trauma of a blast of water is a good method for training. To me it is kind of the equivalant of someone blasting a person with a fire hose each time they don't present perfection. Doesn't sound very pleasant does it?

I have kittens and when they scratch where I don't want them to I tell them no, pick them up and set them at one of the scratchers. I often also use my hands to scratch to encourage them

Consistency, patience, love and putting forth the effort to actually pick the cat up and show her what you want her to use are key! Please tell your roomie/stepsister that.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are perpetual toddlers, with kittens being "the terrible twos". To me screaming and soaking them with water is abusive. You wouldn't do that to a child, so why do it to a kitten or cat?!

I found it best to provide them with a unique scratching surface. My cats have a wooden scratch post (textured like tree bark), and love to scratch at collapsed cardboard boxes that I have behind my bookcase. They both know that they can't scratch the carpet, but they can go and scratch at that wood and cardboard stuff.

When I saw them trying to scratch the carpet, I would go over and pick them up and sternly say "No!" (not yelling, or screaming) and move them to the wooden post or cardboard boxes and hold their front paws and show them to scratch. Sometimes I would have to do that a dozen times a day. Eventually they learned.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Cats are perpetual toddlers, with kittens being "the terrible twos". To me screaming and soaking them with water is abusive. You wouldn't do that to a child, so why do it to a kitten or cat?!

I found it best to provide them with a unique scratching surface. My cats have a wooden scratch post (textured like tree bark), and love to scratch at collapsed cardboard boxes that I have behind my bookcase. They both know that they can't scratch the carpet, but they can go and scratch at that wood and cardboard stuff.

When I saw them trying to scratch the carpet, I would go over and pick them up and sternly say "No!" (not yelling, or screaming) and move them to the wooden post or cardboard boxes and hold their front paws and show them to scratch. Sometimes I would have to do that a dozen times a day. Eventually they learned.
It totally agree. Throw your water bottle away; you won't end up with a nice, loving, trusting cat if you keep doing that to her.

I think the key is redirection, redirection, redirection. And, finding something you cat loves to scratch. My kitty is also 6 mos old and has a carpeted tree he loves to scratch (many cats don't like to scratch carpet but he does) and also an inclined box scratcher. The key is to place these things near where she sleeps as cats often like to stretch and scratch when they wake up. Also, start trimming her nails so if she does scratch the wrong things she won't damage them.

As for the table, I put mine down and distract him. I don't want the cat on the table (he actually jumped up there when we were eating dinner tonight) but to me it is not the biggest crime in the world he could do.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Instead of a spray bottle, try filling an old soda can with a few pebbles or dried pinto beans. Tape the top so the opening is covered. Give the can a good rattle when your kitty starts doing something inappropriate. When you get the kitty's attention, say firmly "NO!" (don't yell...it doesn't do anything but scare your kitty), and redirect his/her to something more appropriate.

Stephanie

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blow air from your mouth in the cat's face when she does a 'no' --they hate this, and it does not hurt them. Do not yell or soak them. Perhaps you need a new roommate.