Which camera do I buy??

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, now that we've decided that I am going to get a digi-cam...what the heck one do I get??

I've been looking at reviews all day and my head just hurts and I still have no idea what to get..

I am seriously considering the Canon A430...anyone own it and love it??

Any advice is appreciated

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are you wanting out of a digital camera?

Ok, I just went and looked at the A430, I'm assuming you want this for everyday use, snapshot sort of camera.

I recently got the Olympus FE-110, 5 megapixel, a good bit of camera for $130.
telefoto/zoom/panorama/macro, auto focus, there's also an auto flash feature, (very small) internal memory, but it does come with a 16Mb memory card (about 6-13 pictures worth).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

What are you wanting out of a digital camera?
Just point and click...easy stuff..Nothing fancy required at all!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Canon, can't remember off the top of my head what model it is, but just one thing to keep in mind: shutter speed.

I love my digi, but it has a too slow shutter speed, so I get lots of blurred pics if the cat moves at the same time I'm taking the shot.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I have a Canon, can't remember off the top of my head what model it is, but just one thing to keep in mind: shutter speed.

I love my digi, but it has a too slow shutter speed, so I get lots of blurred pics if the cat moves at the same time I'm taking the shot.
Yah my friend has a Canon as well, a few years old model, and I noticed that I got alot of blurry pics of the cat then..I'm thinking maybe they are all like that in my price range...because I know Canon is a good company. I found that blurry thing to go away if you use the flash though..

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Sony cybershot 5.1 megapixel (DSC P93-A) last year and am quite happy with it!! I bought it at Sears as it was a return and therefore a better price!!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't do anything fancy, and basically want something that will give me decent pics with a minimum of fuss.

I've been happy with two different models of HP Photosmart, currently the 735. If I were an "upgrade every two years" kind of person, it would be time to do it, but I'm not and, even at 3.2 megapixels, I get perfectly satisfactory, and often quite nice, stuff.

My brother has had good experience with Canon, though I have no idea what model he has.

The only other make I have any experience of is Olympus. My sister-in-law gets good pictures with hers (don't remember what model), but I recall helping her set up the software, and it was a nightmare. That isn't necessarily a reason to avoid that make, but it would make me wary.

Good luck.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

I don't do anything fancy, and basically want something that will give me decent pics with a minimum of fuss.

I've been happy with two different models of HP Photosmart, currently the 735. If I were an "upgrade every two years" kind of person, it would be time to do it, but I'm not and, even at 3.2 megapixels, I get perfectly satisfactory, and often quite nice, stuff.

My brother has had good experience with Canon, though I have no idea what model he has.

The only other make I have any experience of is Olympus. My sister-in-law gets good pictures with hers (don't remember what model), but I recall helping her set up the software, and it was a nightmare. That isn't necessarily a reason to avoid that make, but it would make me wary.

Good luck.
I was looking at a photosmart, but it has no optical zoom, so I said no to that brand..also there are a few other basic things it didn't have..may not be the same model you have though.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I was looking at a photosmart, but it has no optical zoom, so I said no to that brand..also there are a few other basic things it didn't have..may not be the same model you have though.
It does depend on model. Some have optical zoom -- mine does -- but I have noticed that others don't. I wouldn't buy a model without.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there anything that I most definatley NEED, that I may not know of...like a feature that I would really miss?? Anything you guys can think of..I just don't want to get stuck with one that doesn't have a main component that I may want..Its all foreign to me

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you have a way to connect it to your computer (usually the cords come with the camera) as well as the cd disk to put download the program onto your program so you can transfer and edit your pictures. Also, i've found the ones with a zoom feature are really nice.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Is there anything that I most definatley NEED, that I may not know of...like a feature that I would really miss?? Anything you guys can think of..I just don't want to get stuck with one that doesn't have a main component that I may want..Its all foreign to me
Something you might want to add is a card reader. You'll need expansion card(s) no matter what you buy, because internal memory is miniscule. With a card reader, transferring your pics to the computer is just like moving any other files from one folder to another -- absolutely no fuss, no muss, and infinitely quicker than connecting the camera itself -- by whatever means -- not to mention that when you connect the camera, us either consume a lot of battery power or need an ac adapter. The card reader is a lot cheaper -- $30 will get you a multi-format one.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the Canon A630 and have been pleased with the results. It probably costs more than you want to pay, though, about $500.00. The A430 was getting very good reviews at the time I was researching cameras last year. Sony cameras always get good reviews too. Think about mega-pixals (the more the better), zoom factors and various automatic settings. For instance, mine has a setting for pets that compensates for the cat moving just as you click the shutter button.
It also has settings for indoor shots, portrait (good for close ups of cats), landscape (as in outdoor scenery) that I've found helpful. Good luck in finding a camera. I know how you feel about reading all the reviews and getting confused.

winter hawk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trouts mom.......
You didn't leave a price that you were limited to.....but even so, here is a link that I use when I am wanting to make an electronics purchase. If you go all the way through it and list WHAT IS IMPORTANT in as accurate of a manner as you can it will point you in the direction of the camera that will best suit your needs. I will add this.......and it is a very important thing involved with your decision of which camera to buy. Get something with a lithium ion battery pack. You will be VERY GLAD that you made this decision because it will SAVE you tons of money on buying those dang rechargeable batteries as well as something to charge them with. Also, it is my opinion that the OPTICAL ZOOM on the camera is important as well as the TYPE of memory card that your camera uses. The memory card thing will save you money also. We have two digital camera's, one is an older model Sony F-707 which is a 5mp camera and the newest one we bought earlier this year is a Panasonic FZ-30 which is an 8mp camera. My advice would be to get the camera with the most features that are of importance to you. If you get something that you want...sometimes you have to give up some features on the camera that aren't as important. Bottom line.......remember the thing about the memory card, which I think that a SD memory card is the most bang for your buck, and optical zoom is of utmost importance, as well as the most megapixels. Good luck........and here is the link.

http://www.myproductadvisor.com/mpa/...nputSummary.do

P.S. If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me and I will do my best to answer any questions that you have.

Winter Hawk

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the canon a430 and I love it. I posted on here about buying it about a month ago now. If you look at the pictures I have posted you can see how good quality they are. If you want to know anything about it, you can pm me or email me.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is fairly expensive - it depends really how much you want to spend.

The 4x zoom isn't all that much - but the CCD will help you get clearer pics - using flash doesn't always work on kitties though so you may want to give up the zoom for shutter speed.

If you don't mind spending a little more then this is on sale and has burst mode to take pics really fast and really good zoom - but less MP (unless you want to print bigger than 8x10s it will still be fine though

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks for all the advice everyone!!

That was a great site Winter Hawk!!

Eeeeeeeek, I hope I don't make the wrong decision...

amitya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a Kodak Easyshare z760 6 mp digi cam-- LOVE it-- i can take marvelous action shots of my son playing soccer that are to die for. Awesome shots of the dogs working (schutzhund) and its great for everyday stuff too.

Small internal memory but SD cards arent that expensive anymore. My Kodak came with a dock that charges the battery and transfers all my pics from the card/camera to my pc. Its pretty cool. I love it.

Ive had a HP photosmart and it didnt last over a year. Kept giving me horrible errors and stuff. This camera (Kodak) is awesome-- I paid 199 for the camera and dock last year on Black Friday at Wally World.

My mom has an Easyshare Kodak camera too and LOVES hers too-- Thats one of the reasons I got mine.

I want a Sony but the ones I want are way too expensive. Plus I would be scared to take them out on the soccer field. I cant tell you how many times this Kodak has been dropped and hit and it still looks and preforms like new.