Furniture Stain

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We bought new desks and a book case for our home office this weekend. I was so excited and eager to get everything inside because I have been trying to do my homework on a small computer cart and I have NO room. We weren't able to pick the desks up until this evening, and then they must be stained. I have no experience at all staining anything (unless you count spilling my lunch on my clothes) so I have a quick question.... The girl here at work said you have to leave the furniture outside for about 8 hours after you finish staining it for the furniture to dry. Is that long enough for any fumes to clear out as well? I am concerned about Dori and Brody being exposed to fumes. I will of course be staining everything outside and leaving them out there until they dry, I just want to know of any extra care I need to take to keep the animals safe
We are stopping to buy the stain on our way home from work today.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the stain isn't the problem as much as the protective coating you are putting on top of the stain. Or are you using a polyuerthene all in one time of stain?? DH is the big expert in this area. Are you applying with a rag or foam brush??? You are going to a paint store to buy as most also sell stain and are well versed in this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Well the stain isn't the problem as much as the protective coating you are putting on top of the stain. Or are you using a polyuerthene all in one time of stain?? DH is the big expert in this area. Are you applying with a rag or foam brush??? You are going to a paint store to buy as most also sell stain and are well versed in this.
I am stopping by the paint store on the way home. I actually just found a stain brochure (I work for a home builder) and picked out my color. The polyurethane is available in my color so I will be using that. I LOVE that it is an all-in-one product! I don't know how we are going to apply it
I will make sure to ask them specifics when we purchase the stain. I am sure they will be able to answer my question about keeping the pets safe as well.... I didn't think about it, but I also like to check here first because you never know when they have a new sales person and they don't know the answers to everything! I am think that we will stain it tonight, and then leave it outside on the covered patio until we get home from work tomorrow. That would be a good 20 hours or so outside....

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That should be plenty of time!!! Normally the products say on the can the drying times. I know Minwax has a website, you might want to check out for staining tips!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

That should be plenty of time!!! Normally the products say on the can the drying times. I know Minwax has a website, you might want to check out for staining tips!!
Thanks Gail
I will check their site out.
Once the stain is dry is the smell completely gone?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty much-if you stick your nose close to the furniture you will smell it but the smell goes away fairly quickly. Have fun with your project-remember to wear rubber gloves or your fingers will get stained too!!