Does your cat sleep in bed with you?

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
DH and I have been keeping Carl in the living room at night. Up until this week, he has lived soley in the living room, kitchen, dining rooms (until his Soft Paws were put on) and he has been allowed in the bedroom/bathroom area only when DH and I are in the house. So this weekend we let him have free range to roam.

Sat night we decided to leave all the doors open through the night, and he ended up sleeping with us in our bed. I am a really really light sleeper, so he kept me awake and I was exhausted the next day. Sunday night he was back in the living room (where he has French doors to look out of, his cat tree and beds, toys, etc so he is happy there too) and he seemed to not care either way. He meows when he hears DH and I get up in the morning, but other than that he seems to not care whether we let him in the bedroom.

I do feel bad though when we are gone at work and only really play with him and see him at night (and me at lunch). When we are home though it's usually all about him, and he gets tons of attention and scritches.

So, my point: How many TCSers let their cats sleep with them? Also, if you share your bed with your kitty, do you also share it with another person? Just trying to find out whether we are the minority or not?

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I share my bed with my husband and my 2 cats. When one or both of the cats sleep on the bed, they stay at the bottom of the bed and almost never wake us up.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, since i moved back to my parents place, i dont share my bed with any other human, sometimes i am lucky and both of them will sleep in bed with me, other wise its usually one or the other that will sleep with me per night
Teufel is usually above my head or beside my feet and Kaylee wil sleep by my side or under the covers.

Sometimes shes lucky and gets the dutch oven!!

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, I share my bed with Wonton and my boyfriend
Growing up, cats were always allowed on the bed when I was a kid - my Susie cat slept down at the foot of my bed every night. Cats just want to curl up next to your warmth - it's their instinct I think, from sleeping with their mommy and littermates when they were kittens. Wonton likes to be wherever me and Rick are, so at night when we get in bed to go to sleep, he's there. He usually either sleeps next Rick's chest, or next to my stomach, on top of the covers, though I've occasionally woken up to him laying like a loaf of bread on my chest, or on my pillow draped around my head
I like going to sleep with him though. I wouldn't call myself a heavy sleeper, but he doesn't wake me up. I'd be sad if he didn't want to sleep on the bed with us anymore.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bella slept with me since I got her, and I really miss that, her purring always put me to sleep. Joey sleeps on the bottom of our bed. He does warm your feet though

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of mine sleep at the foot of the bed for the majority of the night, and it doesn't wake me up: but then again, I am a HEAVY sleeper!!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bit wedges himself between DH and me now. For the last year, we were on opposite schedules, so he would just sleep with me. Scratch will sleep in a little ball right next to me. In the mornings Scratch will purr in my ear, and Bit will paw my face just to remind me that I owned by two cats.

They don't really wake me through out the night at this point, but when Bit was a kitten he would wake me up from time to time.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our cats have free roam of the house. I can have up to 4 or 5 cats that will sleep with my husband and I at night. Normally it's only 3 though.

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At some point in the night all the kits come up on the bed. My husband will actually go get Zander or Inca telling them it is time for bed. My cornish rex, Zander is the most consistant bed sleeper. He likes to burrow under the covers and sleep curled up next to me.

Tricia

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my cats usually sleep with my boyfriend and me, although Spike will typically wander off during the night (he's more restless than Oz). I'm a light sleeper and I still manage to sleep through them joining us; it's only when I wake up, twisted into some vaguely pretzel-like formation around the slumbering body of a cat, that I begin to wonder why we put up with it ...
Oz can be a real jerk about sharing the bed, too: he'll start by sleeping in between my boyfriend and I, and then gradually begin to sprawl until the humans are clinging to the sides of the mattress, desperately trying not to fall off the bed, and meanwhile there's Oz snug and smug right in the middle of the bed.

Spike usually gets kicked out of the bedroom sometime between 4 and 5:30am, because he starts clawing at the mattress and the carpeting, and crying for attention. Oz usually gets kicked out, too, but only because he keeps Spike company while my boyfriend and I sleep. Oz is always very disgruntled about this, but seems to get over it pretty quickly and finds someplace else to sleep within minutes. If Spike was left out of the bedroom on his own, he'd drive us crazy, clawing at the door, crying, fiddling with the doorknob ... Thank goodness we have Oz to calm him down!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never considered shutting the cats out of my bedroom. When I DID share my home, with someone else, the cats were allowed in, too.

These days, if I have overnight "company", I DO shut them out, as Rowdy thinks that my dates are HERS and can be quite annoying. As this doesn't happen very often, its no great hardship.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats throughout my cat owning history (since 1972) have always slept with me. In fact, a very cold night in the winter is referred to as a three cat night. We keep each other warm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think we are going to try to let him in on the nights that I can afford to be up all night if he is loud. I think once he gets used to being in our bedroom he will settle easier. We are leaving the apartment opened up all week while we are gone so he can wander around at his leisure. Unfortunately I am a recovering insomniac and a really light sleeper (I wake up when the hubby rolls over), and I have to work at 7:30am M-F and I get up at 4am on Sat to run, so sleep is important!

He just doesn't sleep. He walks around, grooms himself, plays, gets hyper, then sleeps at about 4am. I usually play with him at night right before we go to sleep to tire him out, but he is not a big rowdy guy (until 1am, when he turns into a kitten for some reason). He will play for about 10 minutes then he is over it. He LOVES to chase his feather toys, but even those grow tiresome after about 15 minutes tops.

A big part of me really wants him to be able to sleep with us (or even be able to be in the same room), but I can't afford to only get 3 hours sleep every night!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my favorite Cosette stories: The first week we had her, she stayed in our carpeted bathroom most of the time (while we slowly introduced her to Eppie). Well, the first night we decided to let her sleep outside of the bathroom, we opened the bathroom door and she made a beeline for our bed. She clawed her way onto our bed (she couldn't jump that high yet), and plopped down on my pillow, where she stayed ALL night. I felt like it was an honor that she'd want to sleep with us her first night out! She'd alternate between me and Bradley's pillows until eventually she got too big for us to share our pillows with. Now she sleeps at my feet every night, all night, and Eppie sleeps ON me all night. Doesn't bother me though- there is no sweeter sound than a happy kitty purring in your ear as you go to sleep

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Louie spends most of the night cuddling with mommy, but LuckyGirl will only come in for a little bit at a time. She does however, nap in our bed frequently while we are not in it.
Over the weekend she came in while hubby & I were "under the sheets", and she jumped up on the nightstand, gave me the nastiest look, and I swear to you....she knocked his wedding band onto the floor!!!
We were interupted, well he was interupted by the sound of the ring falling on the hard wood floor.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stumpy comes and goes - I occasionally wake up and discover her at my feet. In the mornings I sometimes hear her walking around going MROW, and I call her and she comes and sits on the bed and settles down.

Lily generally sleeps on the bed, and at night time is when she calms down the most, so she used to come to us in the middle of the night looking for cuddles and purring her head off. DH always slept through it, but I would wake up, and give her lots of cuddles because that was the only chance I got to cuddle her. So now she thinks that she can get lots of cuddles throughout the night! My fault I know... She's just so snuggly and cute, I can't help myself! So the kitties often get kicked out at about 4/5am when she gets noisy, then starts playing and attacking everything.

At the moment they're getting locked out of the bedroom because of Smudge. I don't want to roll on her little body in the middle of the night if she decides to cuddle us, and she peed on the doona the other morning, so also don't want to wake up to that in the middle of the night!

Hubby wanted to let her cuddle us last night, so I put archive boxes next to the bed just to make sure she could get off the bed fine (and therefore no reason for peeing on the bed), and she climbed onto the bed, and snuggled down by our feet and fell asleep. Then Lily jumped on the bed and decided to wrestle with Smudge who squealed when she got a little rough, so I had to keep stopping Lily from wrestling. Then I put Smudge under the blankets so I could protect her and she could go back to sleep, and then she kept chewing on my fingers and hands... I had gone to bed late (12:15am), so by 12:45am I was over it and kicked them all outside again.
When Smudge goes back, they'll be allowed back in the bedroom again!

kooky&crazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live alone and my two cats LOVE coming up and sleeping with me

They're so good for winter!

They still jump on the bed when my guy is around..

I just hate the cat hair getting all over the sheets.. but oh well.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had to upgrade our bed to a king sized one because our four cats decided that they all needed to be on the bed at the same time as we were! SO now it's hubby on one side, me in the middle, Twig on the pillows, and the other side is Rocket, Isis and Luna from top to bottom.
I am a light sleeper too and will wake up at the slightest noise, so having the cats in the room is sometimes a pain, but I'll never kick them out. I like the warmth and the purrs. They help me sleep sometimes.