starting to get really annoyed with vet clinic

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hereâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s the story. I took this stray cat into a vet clinic two Fridays ago to be neutered. I was able to obtain a certificate for a 30% discount off of the neuter price from Lafayette Animal Aid. I chose to use the same clinic that they bring all their cats to. Well, once everything was done, I went in to pick up the cat and pay. I thought the $111.53 was a bit high, but didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t really question it. Over the weekend, I looked at the invoice and realized that they over charged me. Instead of giving me the credit, they added it to my bill. So on the following Tuesday, I called them about it. They said they would give me a credit because they normally donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t give cash back. Hello? Did I give you credit when I paid you?! I told her I would most likely not be going there again and that it was a one time visit with that cat just to have him neutered so that he stopped contributing to the overpopulation of cats in the area. I told her I just wanted my money back. She said they would turn all the information over to the doctor, took my number, and said someone would call me back later. No one called. Fast forward to last Friday…..I called them again….spoke to a different person so had to tell my story again. She said they girl who takes care of all the accounts stuff was not back in the office yet, but would call me when she returned later. Again, no call. So this morning I called again. I just asked to speak to the doctor who did the surgery on the cat. I told her if he was busy, he could return my call. She asked my name & what it was about. I said about a cat I had brought in. She asked the catâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s name and my last name. I told her. She said the doctor was in surgery at the moment, but he usually checks his messages between patients…and that it could be around lunchtime before he gets to it. I said that was fine. Fast forward about 15 or 20 minutes and my phone rings. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s one of the girls at the vet clinic who wants to know more details of what itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s about because the doctor is in surgery right now. I told her I was aware of that and was told heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d call me when he could. She said, yeah, but he wants to know what itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s about. I told her it was a personal matter. She said “ok†really slowly and then the call ended. So you mean to tell me that she went and interrupted the doctor in surgery to tell him he had a call from me and he asked them to call me to get more details?!!!!!!! I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t THINK SO!!!! I think they recognized my name and the catâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s name. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know if theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re trying to cover themselves or what, but Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m started to get really aggravated with them. Why canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t they just give me my money back? It was their mistake, not mine.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds very frustrating, Sophie. Do you think you can get away from work and go back up there in person ?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah i was going to say instead of dealing them over the phone you should march in there and speak to him officially, even if you have to wait that he is in surgery.
To get a cat neutered doesnt actually take more than 30 minutes

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be highly POed as Im sure you are. I guess just keep doing what you are doing. I would hope that by Friday it is resolved, but if not then go by there. Its not a nice thing since its their mistake with your money. You would think that would be something they would want to resolve quickly.

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you paid with a credit card, call your credit card company: a lot of companies will go to bat for you if you've been overcharged or fraudulently charged by someone. If you paid with a check or with cash you might not have as much luck but it would be worth calling your bank's customer service number and explaining the situation to them and seeing what their policy is with this sort of thing.

I had a similar situation with a service company who charged my CC# 3 times instead of one and pretty much refused to deal with me and credit me my $ back. My credit card company credited all the money back and I also filled out a complaint with the local Better Business bureau: someone you should also talk to. It might be easier at this point to get your money back from your credit card/bank company than these horrible people!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I received a call from one of the doctors at the clinic. I told him what had happened since I first went there. He kept trying to cut in, but I refused to let him until he had heard the whole story...
Anyway, there were no questions asked. He said he would get this taken care of right away and they would mail me a check. He verified that he had my correct address and that is that. I'm happy now. BUT, I will not choose them as a vet when I move to this city in the near future.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

I received a call from one of the doctors at the clinic. I told him what had happened since I first went there. He kept trying to cut in, but I refused to let him until he had heard the whole story...
Anyway, there were no questions asked. He said he would get this taken care of right away and they would mail me a check. He verified that he had my correct address and that is that. I'm happy now. BUT, I will not choose them as a vet when I move to this city in the near future.
Glad they finally took care of you ! Too bad it was reluctantly. Some people in business just do not realize a little common courtesy goes a long way and for many a deciding factor for repeat business.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
if i were you, i'd ask to come by & pick up the check, rather than waiting on the mail. that way, you can take the check to your bank [or theirs] & cash it immediately. otherwise, who knows how long you'll be waiting for it?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

woo hoo
I got my refund check in the mail yesterday!!!!
Good for you !!
Im glad they did prolong it further !!!!

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that it was resolved!

I still don't like the way the staff handled calling you back and saying "the dr. wanted to know what it was about exactly"...That sounds sneaky and as if she was trying to cover herself for being sloppy at her job.
I bet she told the Vet you were a nasty customer and he decided to resolve it quickly...(just an assumption but it just all sounds weird)

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just so you understand, vets I have worked for normally will not return calls to people who say it's a *personal* matter when they don't know them *personally*. They have staff to handle billing, and that's what they expect them to do. And yes, messages go back and forth from the doctors when they are in surgery, and yes, they ask staff to return calls for additional information and/or to relay a message.

I've seen problems with certificates from spay/neuter clinics before. On some, the dollar amount is what the client is supposed to pay. On others, that is the amount the organization subsidizes. It can be confusing, but it sounds like they blew it and dropped the ball on following up. Did you ever contact the organization that gave you the certificate? It would be good to know if they have ongoing problems with this clinic or if you are the exception. Glad you got your money back.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would not use them again either. If they can't keep their records straight on money makes you wonder how they keep records of the animals they are suppose to care for.

A long time ago we had our male cat Charlie neutered at a vet in our area. When we went to get him he was in a cardboard carrier. They said he was very aggitated and to just take the carrier home instead of them using our carrier. Well we get about half way to the car and this cat is screaming and hollering. After looking better we realized it was not even our cat. He looked close but not ours. We went back in and told them they gave us the wrong cat. They played around in back for about 10 minutes. We were starting to get worried until they carried out our Charlie just as sweet and docile as could be. He was still drugged and half asleep.

Needless to say I never took another animal to him again.

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AsecretK

When we went to get him he was in a cardboard carrier. They said he was very aggitated and to just take the carrier home instead of them using our carrier. Well we get about half way to the car and this cat is screaming and hollering. After looking better we realized it was not even our cat.
I've never ended up with the wrong cat, but I have gotten the wrong carrier. I trapped a feral once that had a sore leg, and I WARNED them he was wild. Well, I guess he got to looking pretty friendly, cause the vet just opened the trap to take him out and he went straight up the walls. When I got there to pick him up he was in someone else's carrier. I pointed that out and they said as long as he was in the clinic, he was not leaving that carrier....just bring it back the next time I came in.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cinder

I've never ended up with the wrong cat, but I have gotten the wrong carrier. I trapped a feral once that had a sore leg, and I WARNED them he was wild. Well, I guess he got to looking pretty friendly, cause the vet just opened the trap to take him out and he went straight up the walls. When I got there to pick him up he was in someone else's carrier. I pointed that out and they said as long as he was in the clinic, he was not leaving that carrier....just bring it back the next time I came in.
That is funny.

I am glad we did not open the cardboard carrier to see why Charlie was so angry. The cat would have probaly clawed our eyes out.