Poor Brody!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This weekend we went out and bought a little step stool, with 2 steps on it, to put at the end of our bed so Brody can climb up into it. His legs are too short and even with a running start he never makes it up onto the bed. That has never stopped him from trying though!

Anyway, I was trying to teach him to use the steps on Friday night and realized we are going to have to cover them in carpet. The wood was too slick and his feet kept sliding on his way up. He fell off twice, but got back up. I was about to take the steps away but he decided to go for it again. Well, he didn't bounce back from the third fall as well as the others... His back feet slid back from under him and he smashed his little "private area" when he landed. I didn't know that was what he did, but he managed to somehow cut it a little and made it bleed. Poor guy! He is ok, but is keeping away from the steps now.
We are going to get the carpet for them tonight. I hope he isn't traumatized now and it prevents him from using them.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
awwwww darling Brody

I am sorry Tanya, but I have to admit I laughed when I read the his legs are too short and even with a running start he never makes it up onto the bed.
I honestly can just picture him trying!! awwww sweet Brody

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by huggles

I laughed when I read the his legs are too short and even with a running start he never makes it up onto the bed.
Awwww i did as well
Bless his little heart, i hope his little injury gets better soon and that he's climbing the steps to bed in no time

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww poor Brody. Not only can he not make it onto the bed but now he is injured from trying!!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww poor Brody....... You know you can buy steps with carpet already on them .... we have to do that too for our little short legged dog. If you are in the bed when you put the steps there, he will more than likely give it another go. Poor thing !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Awww poor Brody....... You know you can buy steps with carpet already on them .... we have to do that too for our little short legged dog. If you are in the bed when you put the steps there, he will more than likely give it another go. Poor thing !
I actually saw those, Pam
. I should have bought them in the first place, but they were $15 more than the little steps I found at Target and was trying to be conservative.
The thought of him slipping didn't even come to me at the time.

I wish you guys could see him trying to get onto the bed. His little bug eyes stick out because he gets so excited. He runs and jumps, but never makes it far enough to pull himself up. He just kind of bounces back off the side of the bed. Then he tries again. Sometimes when I am laying in bed I see these little eyes keep poping up over and over again. We just made the decision to allow him to sleep in the bed. We weren't letting him before this past weekend because it interfered with Dori sleeping in the bed. She will lay up on the bed even with Brody there now.

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
Aaaw poor Brody! Ouch!
Bless his little heart though trying and trying again to get onto that bed!
I hope his little mr heals up soon

I'm glad he and Dori are both able to sleep up on the bed now aswell

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pombina

I'm glad he and Dori are both able to sleep up on the bed now aswell
That was a big breakthrough! I am excited as well
Dori won't have Brody touching her, but she will lay within a foot or 2 of him.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Brody...you sweet little boy.
You bring so much joy to our lives.

Brody & Dori Rule

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brody my little man, Uncle Jerry says for you to use your sister Dori as a stepping stone if that stepping stool doesn't work!

(ignore Uncle Jerry.....he has issues)

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, bless Brody!
He's such a tryer!

I hope his little bits are feeling better soon and he enjoys his newly carpeted steps!

I'm so pleased to hear about the progress between Dori and Brody, too!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Brody my little man, Uncle Jerry says for you to use your sister Dori as a stepping stone if that stepping stool doesn't work!

(ignore Uncle Jerry.....he has issues)
Dori is a tad bit taller than Brody... I don't think that will work Susie! Also, Dori would kick his butt if he tried doing something like that.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

Dori is a tad bit taller than Brody... I don't think that will work Susie! Also, Dori would kick his butt if he tried doing something like that.
Brody is that short??

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Brody!!

Our dog Tails has the same issues with our bed, but he doesn't sleep with us. He can reach my son's bed as long as he has a running start.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Brody! I have this picture in my mind of him trying to make it up on the bed. Have you seen those self-stick semi-circles for stairs? They're sort of an indoor/outdoor type of carpet edged in rubber. We used to have them on our wooden stairs for our dog, and our tenants have them now for theirs.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Poor Brody! I have this picture in my mind of him trying to make it up on the bed. Have you seen those self-stick semi-circles for stairs? They're sort of an indoor/outdoor type of carpet edged in rubber. We used to have them on our wooden stairs for our dog, and our tenants have them now for theirs.
I haven't see those, Tricia, but that would be so much easier than trimming it and adding carpet with the staple gun! I am stopping at Home Depot on the way home from work. I wonder if they will have something like that?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Another idea would be those self-sticking rubber thingies for the bathtub or shower. If you put them close together on the steps, that should give him enough of a foothold. (Can't you tell I've had experience with arthritic dogs who are too heavy to pick up? My mom's newest is old, arthritic, frost-bitten, and simply had to sleep with me this summer. I found an old hassock/ottoman at the Salvation Army, put it at the foot of the bed, and that did the trick.)

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Vino has the same problem
he can get up there usually, but when his arthritis is bothering him he just can't get the extra umph required
my parents bought those for those dog, but she refuses to use them, maybe if Vino gets any worse I'll ask to use them to see if he will. He also HATES to be picked up, so bedtime does not always start out well

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww, poor sweet Brody!
The indignity of it all! But it's impossible not to laugh! I hope you find something that will make the stairs comfortable for him.