Cat Personality Study

kooky&crazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if this is allowed, if not I'm really sorry!!

I'm a 4th year psychology student (from Melbourne, Australia) investigating personality dimensions in cats in hopes of developing a tool to evaluate cat personality types to aid with re-homing abandoned cats (in shelters) and reducing 'mismatched' pets

If anyone is willing to participate in my study, the questionnaire is located here:
http://coldfusion.its.monash.edu.au/...nnaires/ychew/

*Cat owners please go to Questionnaire 1!

If you have more than one cat you can fill it out once for each of them if you're feeling really free!!

*Please ignore Questionnaire 2 unless really bored!

The more responses I get the better my results will be!

THANK YOU FOR LOOKING!!!!!

I appreciate each and every response I get!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed obsessive is on the questionnaire twice. Very interesting questions...I hope you will give us a brief synopsis when you get it finished!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kooky&crazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so excited! I got a few responses from this forum already.

I'd just like to thank every one of you (and your cats) who have taken the time to fill the questionnaire out. YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!

I really hope something good will come out of this study

On a side note, a similar one (more large-scale) is being conducted on dogs and it's going very well!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did the questionnaire for 1 of my cats. I hope it works out well! Good luck!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I filled out for my youngest cat-all mine would have completely different answers!!

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I filled mine out for my oldest cat, Oliver.

Would you like those of us with more than one cats to fill it out once for each cat?

kooky&crazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by OllyExtra05

I filled mine out for my oldest cat, Oliver.

Would you like those of us with more than one cats to fill it out once for each cat?
Hi!!
Thanks for taking part!
If you could take the time to fill it out once for each cat that would be awesome..but if not don't worry about it!

kooky&crazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I noticed a few on there more than once...maybe thats part of the test?
oh NO..Could you let me know what words were repeated?

Sorry guys.. this is a completely new (pilot) questionnaire (as nothing like this has been done before).. the results of this will be used to develop another questionnaire next year which will be implemented on a much larger scale!

kooky&crazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OH PS:

If anyone knows another way to get participants e.g. a cat website that might be interested to help, that would be fantastic!!

For those curious to know more about the study,
After we get enough responses (the more the better), factor analysis will be run on the results to see which adjectives go together. For example, if we find that most people who rated their cats high on 'active' also rated highly for 'playful', then we can say that 'playful' and 'active' go together.

It will probably be the case that a few adjectives may group together to form one broad (or more general) personality dimension. We aim to find out what these dimensions are in domestic cats!

In humans, as some of you may already know, the 5 main personality dimensions are Extraversion, Neuroticism, Conscientiousness, Openness, and Agreeableness.

kooky&crazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

I did it for you. I noticed alot of the words were repeats. Was that on purpose?
Could you please let me know which words these were (if you remember)???

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kooky&crazy

Could you please let me know which words these were (if you remember)???
I dont remember now! LOL Your talking to the pregnant girl! I thought you guys were just trying to trickpeople into changing their answers.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I answered Questionnaire 1 for Joey. I did bookmark the spot in my favorites, cuz I'd like to answer for JC, Andy, AmyRose, Andrea, Cindy, Scotty, and Jackie, as well, since they all have such different personalities. I do hope that I understood the descriptions right - such as, I consider Joey to be very obedient (to me) but also dominant (just watch what happens when Andy poops in a pee box and Joey sniffs out the culprit and metes out the punishment. Or how he severely cuffs any intruder who dares to sleep on my legs (his spot) or get next to the keyboard while I'm typing. This WAS FUN!!
Great idea

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Completed for Jaffa

I note it said it was re adult cats - Mosi is 9 months - is he too young? If not I will complete it for him later.