Lysine

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
THe vet gave me a gel form syringe to use for kinsey as well as clavomax for her URI but I have read that it is benefical to put in their food everyday. i went to CVS and bought the 500mg pills and will crush them up and put them in everyones wet food once a day. What are the benefits to this... I noticed that I can also take it... what does it do in humans? Also i am going to be putting it in the food i leave outside for the strays/ferals... wil this do any harm if a skunk or racoon eats the food??

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Working at a vets office and having an organization that takes in ferals, abandonments, etc. we have quit a few cats that come in with URI. The one doctor that treats all these cats swears by Lysine. She states that after a week or so of the animal on Lysine they seem to be clearing of there URI's a lot faster than cats/kittens not given Lysine. I dont think Lysine can harm the wildlife either it works like a multi-vitamin pill does if I'm not mistaken. Lysine is also offered to clients with multiply cat households that are having trouble kicking certain infections, cats w/HIV/FeLV.

Best of luck kicking the URI and when you first mix it make sure to mix it with a really fishy smelling wet food or they may turn their noses up to the food because of a slightly different smell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the info! My kits were abandoned and have ringworm... well one of them has it badly and i just noticed a spot on the other kitten. THen Kinsey shes in my siggy is 5 months now and has the URI.... so far Isis the 7 month old has a complete bill of health. I just hink that Adding lysine to everyones diet will be beneficial especially the ferals that i feed! Thanks so much

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet gave me Lysine to give when I got Hannah and she had a very nasty URI. It boosts the immune system. I now give her 500mg a day because she's got some allergies. When her eyes get all watery or she starts winking at me, I boost it to 1000mg a day for a couple of days and she's fine.

Stephanie

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, I don't know anything about a kitty taking Lysine, but I have gotten fever blisters when I've been sick, and once from being in the sun, and the pharmacist recommended that I take it daily to prevent fever blisters, and take double the dose if I get/have one....they will go away faster. And it works pretty good, although I haven't had a fever blister in years.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lysine works to inhibit viral replication and by doing that helps the immune system fight off viral infections easier and faster. I have my kitties on it, even though they are both healthy at the moment. When they are sick I double the dose (1000mg) to help them out. Many of my fosters with herpes were helped by this and only this.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give Gizmo l-lysine for her herpes, but am unable to measure it since I have to put the paste (which is actually more of a gel) on one or two fingers and put it behind the cat's upper teeth.
Is there a ballpark estimate for how much l-lysine she's getting with this system? How many fingers-full should I give the cat for a 250 mg dose?

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you would have to read the label on the gel. The viralys i use is about 1/8 tsp = 250mg i believe. Since i can't figure out how to measure that properly (about the size of a pea) i just put in about 2 peas worth give or take. Since lysine is a natural amino acid it isn't harmful and you can't really overdose your cat on it.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

ok, I don't know anything about a kitty taking Lysine, but I have gotten fever blisters when I've been sick, and once from being in the sun, and the pharmacist recommended that I take it daily to prevent fever blisters, and take double the dose if I get/have one....they will go away faster. And it works pretty good, although I haven't had a fever blister in years.
yeah, we're basically talking about the same virus - herpes is what causes fever blisters, too. lysine is the opposite of arginine, which they say is too high in people/cats with herpes.
i found this: High doses of lysine (greater than 10 grams daily) are known to cause gastrointestinal adverse effects.

you might try getting the capsules instead of the pills - that way you don't have to crush them.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For anyone that uses the , L Lysine Powder
I found it online and bought it by the pound when I had a lot of ferals feeding.

I was never able to crush one of those pills and using the capsules for so many cats was rather costly, so I went in search of.

I just phoned the vets office and they are going to get a couple tubes of the get for me to pick up the next time I go in. It cost more through them, but when you figure shipping it all evens out.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it looks like I'm giving Gizmo 250 milligrams in each 'finger' dose. That's what the vet recommended. As for the tube, there's no indication save the 1/8 teaspoon thing, and Gizmo does not eat from a teaspoon.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have trouble with that little measuring system on the tube?!?!

I gave everyone some on Saturday (they licked it off my finger too!!) but haven't since. I need to start giving it to them daily.... I just had a tricky time with that dispenser thing on Sat though.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could always put the get in a measuring spoon and then scoop it out with your finger to give it to the cats.