TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Going to Cedar Point!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Going to Cedar Point!

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
My husband and I are going to Cedar Point this weekend for their Halloweekend event. I am very excited. Any one from near Cedar Point? Everytime I go I just visit the park, but not really anything else in the area. We are going to stay overnight, hopefully at a bed and breakfast, and have all day Sunday to visit the Sandusky area. My husband said there are light houses, islands, and nature parks nearby- which all sounds pretty fun to me. I just wouldn't know where to start.

http://halloweekends.cedarpoint.com/

He has managed to talk me into riding the Millennium Force. It has a more than 300 feet drop. Normally I'm not into high drops, but I do love going upside down, sideways, etc.

They will be getting a really fun-looking new roller coaster next year called the Maverick, with lots of loops!
post #2 of 21
I'm not from there, but I do go there every summer, and have for almost 20 years. LOL I actually visit the Port Clinton/Catawba Island/Marblehead area. Marblehead has a lighthouse, a neat little downtown stretch with a really cool little museum. There is also a great artist's gallery there, just across the street from the museum, but his name escapes me at the moment. There is also a civil war prison there as well (the signs are on the highway).

Kelly's Island and Put In Bay are neat islands that you can visit. Kelly's Island has a couple of wineries, and Put In Bay is more of a touristy place. If you don't want to take the ferry, but still want to go to a nice winery, I highly recommend Mon Ami www.monamiwinery.com . Their food is just as good as their wine, and that is saying a lot about both. They are officially listed as being on Catawba Island, but it's more of a penninsula.

To get to any of these places, just take Highway 2 east from Sandusky, then take Highway 53 at the Catawba Island exit. (There's also a neat little strip mall called Harbor Light Landing just off of Hwy 2 on Hwy 53, before you actually come into town. They have a great little Christmas Store called Jingle Junction, a little pet-themed store called Animal House, and a Thomas Kinkade gallery, amongst others. www.harborlightlanding.com )
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Thank you so much for the suggestions. I am going to recommend the winery to my husband- that would be pretty easy to do when we don't have a lot of time. We'd like to go back to Cedar Point this summer to ride the Maverick and I really want to stay for longer than one night.

If you had one day to do something- like go to one of the islands- which would you choose?
post #4 of 21
Put In Bay is fun. I haven't actually been to Kelly's Island, but heard it was more low key than Put In Bay. One suggestion, though, if you go to any of the islands definitely spend the money to rent a golf cart. They don't look like much to walk, but by the time you're coming back to the ferry you'll be happy to have that cart.

All of us from Colorado make a point of going to Mon Ami every year. They do have tours of their winery, too, and the grounds are just beautiful. I can also tell you that between about 6 of us, we brought back about 4 cases of wine to last us until next year. Inexpensive since it's all local, but it really is fabulous wine.
post #5 of 21
My bf went there last year and absolutely loved it.
He is a fanatic with rollercoasters and is saving up so he can "experience" the Maverick next year.

I told him he is crazy to just fly there for a few days just to go to cedar point!
post #6 of 21
I worked there one summer many years ago...I worked at a candy stand...pulled taffy, made cotton candy, made funnel cakes, etc.

Now, I know that is a completely useless piece of information for you, but I had to share!
post #7 of 21
I used to go there all the time, and put-n-bay too. There are a few lighthouses around there which my mom was always obsessed with going to see. But ya, I live about 2 hours from there.
post #8 of 21
I am going to Cedar Point too!!! But not till Oct 20th-23rd. I am taking hubby there as his birthday present!!! We LOVE roller coasters, and Halloween. And we are SOOOOOOO excited. (we are even taking the kitts!) We're gonna drive there from PA, (about 7 hrs) and get there by dinner on Friday, grab something to eat & get settled in. Halloweekends doesn't open till 12 on Sat, so we will have all morning to lounge....play with the kitts....sleep in a little later than normal....eat breakfast.....take a leisurly bath.....and then go to the park! We are also going on Sunday, we have weekend passes, but they are open 12-8, so we'll still have time to be with the kitts in the morning, and have plenty of time to get a good nights sleep. We're checking out on Monday (hubby's actual b-day) but we'll have all day to drive home, so we can stop at all the little places along the way! I love a road trip!!! (we can't WAIT to get on the topthrill dragster!!! all the photos from it show people have peed their pants!!!)
http://www.thrillride.com/ttd/ttd.html
post #9 of 21
I love Cedar Point! I go every other year and I've been 3 times. I would definitely recommend sitting in the front seat for the Top Thrill Dragster! Millenium Force and Magnum are also great!!
post #10 of 21
Oh my goodness, I'm kind of from that area and I couldn't have told you all of that!! Good going Heidi!


Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
I'm not from there, but I do go there every summer, and have for almost 20 years. LOL I actually visit the Port Clinton/Catawba Island/Marblehead area. Marblehead has a lighthouse, a neat little downtown stretch with a really cool little museum. There is also a great artist's gallery there, just across the street from the museum, but his name escapes me at the moment. There is also a civil war prison there as well (the signs are on the highway).

Kelly's Island and Put In Bay are neat islands that you can visit. Kelly's Island has a couple of wineries, and Put In Bay is more of a touristy place. If you don't want to take the ferry, but still want to go to a nice winery, I highly recommend Mon Ami www.monamiwinery.com . Their food is just as good as their wine, and that is saying a lot about both. They are officially listed as being on Catawba Island, but it's more of a penninsula.

To get to any of these places, just take Highway 2 east from Sandusky, then take Highway 53 at the Catawba Island exit. (There's also a neat little strip mall called Harbor Light Landing just off of Hwy 2 on Hwy 53, before you actually come into town. They have a great little Christmas Store called Jingle Junction, a little pet-themed store called Animal House, and a Thomas Kinkade gallery, amongst others. www.harborlightlanding.com )
post #11 of 21
OHHHHH - you are all soooooo lucky!!!!
I am a roller coaster freak! I would give anything to visit Cedar Point. So many roller coasters - so many different kinds. Awesome! Closest I've been to Cedar Point is riding the virtual roller coasters on their website.
I am so jealous.
post #12 of 21
If you guys want to see this little movie thing I have about Cedar Point, PM me your email addys...........
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever View Post
If you guys want to see this little movie thing I have about Cedar Point, PM me your email addys...........
That was so cool! I've watched shows on it, but some of those pics are waaaaayyyyyyyy up there.
As my teens say these days - "That was so sick!"
(I especially got a kick out of the last one ) Poor girl.
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny82 View Post
I love Cedar Point! I go every other year and I've been 3 times. I would definitely recommend sitting in the front seat for the Top Thrill Dragster! Millenium Force and Magnum are also great!!
Yay!!! Thanks Jenny! We will definately be going on those!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisasha3 View Post
OHHHHH - you are all soooooo lucky!!!!
I am a roller coaster freak! I would give anything to visit Cedar Point. So many roller coasters - so many different kinds. Awesome! Closest I've been to Cedar Point is riding the virtual roller coasters on their website.
I am so jealous.
We are also roller coaster fans.... the virtual coasters on their site actually make your belly spin!!!
post #15 of 21
Thread Starter 
We'll, we weren't able to get a decent hotel room. When I went to pay for the room- credit card info typed in and all- the price went up $30! None of the bed and breakfasts have an opening. Sooo... We're going to King's Island instead. I know King's Island isn't as good as Cedar Point, but I've heard it's pretty close. The driving distance is three hours from me either way. We got a whole package that is $120, including two tickets and hotel stay at the King's Island resort hotel- which is right there in King's Island. They are also having haunted houses. We're going to Cincinnati the next day to go to the zoo! We get half off the ticket prices since we are members of the zoo here in Ft. Wayne. We're going to wait for the Maverick now, and go to Cedar Point next summer. On a side note, my husband worked at Cedar Point too- as a lifeguard and EMT for two summers. He liked it a lot.
post #16 of 21
Ive gone to Cedar Point 4 times. I think the coolest ride was the Dragster. I was riding with my BIL 8 year old nephew. W eboth were screaming so loud. Our pics were hilarious. Derek was curled up with a look of complete terror on his face. I just had my mouth wide open screaming. That is the one and only ride Ive ever been actually scared on. It was amazing. We rode it twice. I went wen Iwas 10, 16, 18 and 19. I want to go next year too. We will see. I dont know if I will want to bring the baby along. So I might not go.
post #17 of 21
I have never heard of Cedar Point. Is this sort of like Six Flags Magic Mountain? Do they have more than one Cedar Point? I looked at the webpage link that what put up, and it looks like a cool place.

It seems like a lot of people have heard of Cedar Point, but it's strange, this is the first time I've heard of it. Now, I'm curious.
post #18 of 21
I just watched a show on amusement parks on the travel channel, and cedar point was voted #1 amusement park in the USA, no the world, for the 6th year in a row!

http://www.amusementtoday.com/2006gta82706.html

PS;....has anyone ever been to Schlitterbahn in Texas? That place looks so awesome!!!
post #19 of 21
Is there only one Cedar Point?
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeHacker View Post
Is there only one Cedar Point?
Yup, only one!
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeHacker View Post
I have never heard of Cedar Point. Is this sort of like Six Flags Magic Mountain? Do they have more than one Cedar Point? I looked at the webpage link that what put up, and it looks like a cool place.

It seems like a lot of people have heard of Cedar Point, but it's strange, this is the first time I've heard of it. Now, I'm curious.
Many of us roller coaster FREAKS have heard of it cause it's got 14 coasters of all kinds and the second fastest tallest full steel coaster in the world - Millenium Force (The first one being in Japan) as well as breaking other records with the dragster I'm sure.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Going to Cedar Point!