Biting and Hissing for no reason.. advice?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright everyone, I know I've been writing here and there about Trout and her aggression. I seriously don't know whats up with her, I'm beginning to think she just has a female dogish personality.

Just now, she was lay on my lap all fine and purring..then she started biting the blanket I'm wrapped in..So, I took the blanket out of her mouth, and proceed to take her off me..she starts hissing!!

I know she isn't injured, I know she isn't overstimulated as I wasn't petting her..and this behaviour is becoming almost a daily thing.

Meanwhile, she can lay on me for hours sleeping and not do that biting thing..it just depends if I'm wearing something thats attractive to her to bite..

She is only 2, so maybe she is still being playful, but taking it too far?

Any suggestions guys, she is kind of controlling me and I don't think thats right. I don't know if someday she'll attack me or something.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like Trout sure does have some serious tortitude

In all seriousness...Reilly has been known to do things like that from time to time. The only suggestion I have is when she starts behaviour like that take her off of you...don't speak to her or anything and walk away.

It could be her way of trying to get your attention, it's something to try anyways

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

It sounds like Trout sure does have some serious tortitude

In all seriousness...Reilly has been known to do things like that from time to time. The only suggestion I have is when she starts behaviour like that take her off of you...don't speak to her or anything and walk away.

It could be her way of trying to get your attention, it's something to try anyways
She definately has tortitude..and lots of it!

I do push her off me when she does that..thats why she hisses, she doesn't like that..but I won't hav her biting anymore. I think she gets mad that I put a stop to her fun.

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
does she have any toys that are good for cats to attack? I know our active cat loves to chase the stalk stick and our not so active cat simply likes to pounce on, and then lick, catnip sacks I made. Perhaps if she could let out her play aggression in a healthy way, she'll stop bothering you?

I def. agree with removing her when she starts to bite. If you're worried (from the hissing) that she might try to attack your hands when you remove her, try getting ahold of her scruff with one hand (just let you know you have it), and lift her with the other hand. At 2 years old, I don't think it's good to pick them up like that, but we've found that if our active cat is getting a little too crazy while petting him or cutting his nails, we just put our hand on his scruff, just enough to let him know it's there, and he calms down. But don't pick her up with the scruff hand, make sure her weight is supported with the other hand. Let me know if that doesn't make sense, it looks like I rambled for a bit.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can empathize with your situation. My neighbor has an older tuxedo female that is just hell on wheels. She can be sound asleep, I walk in the door and she is a growling, hissing, spitting maniac.

I have tried to make friends with her, Miss Kitty, but there is no way. She even bites Hazel. However, she worships John. Go figure.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I wonder what toys are good for severely active cats?
Da Bird! It rocks! 8-Bit is very very active, and this one works the best. You can also buy refills when she destroys the feather end.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've found "cat curls" to be great for really active cats. They're not great to bite, because they're plastic - but kitties will still pick them up and toss them around. The best thing about them is that they're like "super milk rings." Because they're a long coil, when kitty pushes them or tosses them - they keep rolling (especially if your house isn't completely level, lol!) - which gives them a moving target to keep attacking. Shelly LOVES cat curls but hates balls - I think because he can pick up the cat curl, and he can't pick up a ball.

chichi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What I would do in this situation is just gently spank her. I know, some people or books may be against that but just think about this. If you watch two cats at play and one of them does something the other one doesn't appreciate, they let each other know by either swating at the agressor or making a sharp cry out "meow!" or both. So this is your way of letting her know that you are not ok with what she just did. I am not saying you should hit her hard, just slightly swat at her with your hand and loudly say "no!" with a high pitch voice. Usually she'd run away at this. That means she got your message. You may only have to do this once or twice. Actually the second time it happens, she'll run away if you just make it look like you're about to swat at her.

One of my cats was laying in my bed right in the middle of it one time. She seemed to enjoy being there, so when I tried to move her just so I can lay down to go to bed, she hissed at me. I was apalled and slapped her slightly, she ran away. But ever since that incident she never hissed at me again, ever. She learned who's the boss. And I didn't break her trust by doing that.

animalhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yay Someone else out there has a cat with Tortitude! lol
I have a 6yr old tortie, and she is what i call the "*_Tch* kitty. She has such a attitude .. She has been around animals HER WHOLE LIFE, and she STILL HATES THEM.. Lol. She is a BRAT! And the other night my mom was petting her, and all of a sudden she hissed and growled at her.. :-O My mom is the only person she likes.. Lol Soo Yea..