Bose rocks!!!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a big audiophile, and I've had crappy speakers on my computer for a long time now. Before that, I had a 200 watt system, but it just quit working. So, I've been saving up some money to buy a Bose computer system. I love it! You haven't heard music until you've head it through a Bose. I'm not paid to say that, this brand really is that much more awesome than everyone else. They use different technology than most of the other ones.
Edit: You won't find a wattage listing on Bose because they're just... different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heh heh.... $250, mine were on sale for $200. Klipsch's speakers were $170, they are another good brand, but they are not the same technology. I had Creative speakers, 80 watts... $60 bucks. Okay, if you've never heard speakers that work like Bose's.

Cambridge Solutions is another company that makes computer speakers with the same technology as Bose.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking of spending about $100, do you have suggestions? The only thing I hate is when speakers crackle..so annoying.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Bose has a set of speakers for $99.
http://www.bose.com/controller?event...ltimedia_index

No subwoofer, so if that's important to you, don't get them. I haven't heard them, you might want to try them out at a store somewhere if you can find them.

If you like your bass, just look for the highest wattage you can get for your money. The more watts, the more power that goes to each frequency, so less crackling and less fuzzy sound.

My Creatives didn't crackle... Creative is good, Klipsch is good, and the store people told me Logitech was good (which has very good value for the money). What brands are available in your area?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

Well, Bose has a set of speakers for $99.
http://www.bose.com/controller?event...ltimedia_index

No subwoofer, so if that's important to you, don't get them. I haven't heard them, you might want to try them out at a store somewhere if you can find them.

If you like your bass, just look for the highest wattage you can get for your money. The more watts, the more power that goes to each frequency, so less crackling and less fuzzy sound.

My Creatives didn't crackle... Creative is good, Klipsch is good, and the store people told me Logitech was good (which has very good value for the money). What brands are available in your area?
I definately need a subwoofer..I was thinking of one of these:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...50&catid=20399

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...25&catid=20399

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...46&catid=20399

What is the minimum watts I should buy?

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have bose speakers for my home but not the subwoofer....i also have a bose wave radio in my classroom at school.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm partial to Swans speakers. I'm not sure what you like in sound (some people like bright sounds, sound people like tremendous bass), but Swans makes very "accurate" speakers. They're very clear and crisp, and the sound is just right. They are kind of expensive (~$190 for the computer multimedia speakers, newegg carries them: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16836136102), but I think they are so accurate you'll need to buy a $500 sound card to have enough snuff to match the speakers. No subwoofer you say? You don't need one with these, they've got plenty of depth (though it won't have that subwoofer punch if thats what you're looking for, but you can buy a sub seperately if you want one real bad with a set of these). Real wood case too.

I don't like Klipsch because they tend to be fragile, and have quality control issues.

What are you doing with these speakers anway? Listening to music (what kind? rock, classical, R&B, jazz?), or playing games? For games I think Logitech is better, for that surround sound experience and you don't need super high fidelity speakers for that. For very complex music like classical or jazz the Swans will blow you away. For heavy bass and high treble like Rock, R&B, Pop, Rap etc, can try Klipsch, or Bose, or JBL. I recommend going to a brick and mortar store, take like a DAT/CD/MP3 player with you with songs you listen to (try to rip MP3s with highest bitrate possible so you don't run into the "oh these speakers sound crappy" but in actuallity it's your MP3's that sound crappy. DAT and CD you don't run into that issue, though almost no one uses DAT anymore which is a pity), and test out the speakers.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll just be listening to music with them..mostly hip hop music, and some pop type stuff..I need a good bass.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eminem sounds great on these... lemme tell ya.

As far as wattage, for clean bass, I'd go with at least 140-200 watts. Sometimes you can get crackling with poorly-constructed subwoofers, too... or if you're streaming audio from the net, a glitch in the connection will cause some crackling temporarily.

Do you know how Swans work, Lemur? Bose is special because they have "different" technology. (Ask my husband about how exactly they work LOL) Bose is also excellent for classical and jazz... very clean sound, very balanced. I'll have to try some Swans sometime.

And Renovia, you have a wave in your classroom? Aren't those thing phenomenal?? Holy crap... I'm green with envy.

Troutsmom... I got some Creatives 80 watt for $60 bucks in my area... at Circuit City. I'd go with as many watts as you can afford!!!!!!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And if you want to splurge on a bedside/alarm clock go for the Bose Wave Radio (Edit - just realised this is what Renovia recommended!). We had one of these in the temporary accomodation we stayed in when we first got to the US, and oh my lordy - waking up has never been so pleasurable!

It was set on a jazz radio station, so we woke up to a jazz station every morning (and I'm not a big fan of jazz), but it sounded SO good on the Bose that we kept it on there. The sound quality was like nothing I've heard before.

Oh and the bed and bedding at the temporary accomodation was this big, fluffy, cozy, warm, gorgeous thing that was sooooo nice to wrap myself in, and I couldn't work because I was waiting for my work permit, so I'd wake up to the jazz as DH went to work, lie there for a while in this envelope of beddy ecstasy listening to my jazz.... Eventually get up and watch Animal Planet for a bit... Ahhh the memories

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heck yeah... I've heard the Wave radio at a B and B before too. It's INSANE!!! It's like listening to music um... intoxicated by something that you smoke (not that I smoke any more).

Don't be scared of eBay... my husband and I buy most of our electronics on there. If you decide you want to try it, feel free to PM me and I can give you pointers on finding a reputable seller. Lemme go search, and I'll find you some good ones for cheap!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in music heaven... just listened to some classical, now I have NIN in... NIN sounds amazing in Bose!! I'm floored. I don't have a surround sound soundcard, but it sure sounds like it... those of you who like music and stuff should get a NIN CD just to test speakers. He's a music-mixing technical genius.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

Eminem sounds great on these... lemme tell ya.

As far as wattage, for clean bass, I'd go with at least 140-200 watts. Sometimes you can get crackling with poorly-constructed subwoofers, too... or if you're streaming audio from the net, a glitch in the connection will cause some crackling temporarily.

Do you know how Swans work, Lemur? Bose is special because they have "different" technology. (Ask my husband about how exactly they work LOL) Bose is also excellent for classical and jazz... very clean sound, very balanced. I'll have to try some Swans sometime.

And Renovia, you have a wave in your classroom? Aren't those thing phenomenal?? Holy crap... I'm green with envy.

Troutsmom... I got some Creatives 80 watt for $60 bucks in my area... at Circuit City. I'd go with as many watts as you can afford!!!!!!!
Swans don't use any special type of technology. They're just extremely well engineered and calibrated, and use high quality materials. Of course they won't be able to touch $2000 a set speakers with exotic earth metal tweeter magnets, but for their price they're amazingly good. They are very balanced in terms of sound (accurate), so they might disapoint bass enthusiasts (for those who NEED that pair of 500 watt subs fired directly at them
), but you hear details in songs that you'd never hear on other sets, and I rarely get those "he say just 'attacked a mean elephant'? or 'attached a green element'?" "no I think he said 'I lacked the means to celebrate'" moments