Going to the Doctors....

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had this cold for about 3 weeks now. I went to the ER and was told they couldn't see me
. So I was "toughing" it out. It got a little better until this last thursday. I woke up around 3am friday with horrible pain in my back and side. I coughed so hard I had pulled muscles in my back.

Well, being the stubborn person I am, I was bound and determined to go to Halloween Horror Nights friday so I dealt with the pain..I down some Advil and went on my way. I was fine all night friday and until early yesterday morning. I went to the Dollar Store to pick up some cleaning stuff and a new mop when all of a sudden my ears started ringing and I got dizzy. I also got a shooting pain in my left ear... I think I have an ear infection

I slowly got everything I needed at the store and started to feel worse. I was getting weak and shaky. I paid and left. When I got in the truck I was so weak I could barely push the clutch. Thankfully, I only live about 4 blocks from the store.
When I came home I sat on the porch swing for about 5 mins when DH came out and didn't even know I was home. He unloaded the truck for me and helped me inside.
At first I thought maybe my blood sugar was low so DH got me something to eat.
I felt a little bit better. My mom and DH both begged me to go to another ER but again, I'm stubborn and I don't like to burden anyone.
I felt a little better last night and this morning. Until I went to walmart that is. My ears started ringing and hurting again. So I've decided I better go to the DR. tomm.

I've never had an ear infection before but my kids have and now I know how it feels. I remember when my oldest son had his first one and his ear actually popped and drained

He was in such pain that when it burst it was a relief. His dr said it it was better that it popped... I can honestly say I wish my ears would pop. I was SO tempted to shove a Q-Tip in my ear this morning. I would go to the ER tonight but it's so hard to w/2 kids. My mom is packing to go out of town so she can't babysit and DH would have to go with me in case I had to be driven home. (DH got it DL back friday
after getting a DUI...what a dork) So I'm toughing it out again. Trying over and over to pop my ears (not literally) I just keep swallowing and yawning and nothing

I literally can't hear anything out of my left ear.
I was talking so loud in the store DH kept telling me to pipe down

So please send me vibes that I'll make it through the night w/o shoving an Ice pick in my ear?

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awl, that stinks! I don't want you to get turned away again at the ER, do you have a family physician you could go to?

I hope you feel better soon...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

Awl, that stinks! I don't want you to get turned away again at the ER, do you have a family physician you could go to?

I hope you feel better soon...
Unfortunatly I don't. I'm on medicaid and my old Dr. is 90 miles from here and in order to change Dr you have to wait 30 days until it's effective

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried warm compresses on that side of your face by your ear?Also, mineral oil helps soothe the pain.
(My Mom used a home remedy when we lived at home and had an ear infection)

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a couple of ear infections as an adult and they are no fun!!! If you get worse doen't hestiate to go to ER!!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Have you tried warm compresses on that side of your face by your ear?Also, mineral oil helps soothe the pain.
(My Mom used a home remedy when we lived at home and had an ear infection)
I have some ear drops that were leftover from when my lil one had an swimmer's ear and I am contemplating on using them.
I'm really weird about my ears and eyes and putting anything in them.. That's why I can't wear contacts

I seen a movie when I was a kid where a guy had a bug crawl in his ear and it laid eggs... It scared the you know what outta me

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any urgent care/occupational health clinics? We have places around here called RediMed that take care of issues like what you are having. I would not go to an ER again, since you will probably be turned away. Most doc visits around here cost about 50-70$, depending on the doc. Most urgent care clinics charge about $75 and are totally equipped to see someone in your condition. I would highly recommend looking one up in the yellow pages. I don't have insurance either, and that is what I tend to do.

I googled "urgent care clinic" for your city and here is what I found:

http://ypng.areaconnect.com/areac.ma...nters%2525255E

These places are set up to care for you when you are really sick, but not sick enough for an ED.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrgirl

Do you have any urgent care/occupational health clinics? We have places around here called RediMed that take care of issues like what you are having. I would not go to an ER again, since you will probably be turned away. Most doc visits around here cost about 50-70$, depending on the doc. Most urgent care clinics charge about $75 and are totally equipped to see someone in your condition. I would highly recommend looking one up in the yellow pages. I don't have insurance either, and that is what I tend to do.

I googled "urgent care clinic" for your city and here is what I found:

http://ypng.areaconnect.com/areac.ma...nters%2525255E

These places are set up to care for you when you are really sick, but not sick enough for an ED.
Thanks!
Luckily, I called the ER already and asked them if they would see me or not. They said they had never heard of anything like what the other ER did and seeing that I'm on medicaid they would be happy to see me and I wouldn't have to pay anything either. Not even for the prescription. As soon as I drop the kids off at school DH and I are going to go. THen we have to go over to my MIL and help her
Maybe I'll cough all over her and she'll get sick and stay outta my life for a few days.... I know... it's mean but that's a WHOLE OTHER THREAD!

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As suprising as it sounds, it is HARD to get medical attention when you need it nowadays. I had the stomach flu and was dehydrated so bad I couldn't walk around for more than a few min before blacking out and ending up on the floor. I went to the local medical center just a block down taking it slow, and they turned me away saying "we don't have any open appointment slots for another 6 weeks". So in my mind I'm thinking, okay, let me get this straight, there's a person who can't keep down water, and who can't stand for more than a few minutes without blacking out and you're turning him away? It's almost like you have to schedule when you get sick 2 months in advance now.

Well, I ended up going to the ER, and they spent 2 hours doing paper work taking my blood pressure, taking temp, and then they told me to wait in the waiting room. I waited 4 hours before someone finally saw me, and they gave me a GLASS OF WATER! which I took a sip and promptly threw up and I don't quite remember what happened afterwards since I must've blacked out then, but I woke up sometime late in the afternoon (it was about noon when they saw me) hooked up to an IV. They gave me 2 and 1/2 bags of IV and sent me home. Though I felt much better it was like they were brooming me out when time for discharge came.

What is wrong with the medical system these days...

I can just imagine some guy coming in with a stab wound in the kneck
"ggllelp, gmmee..."
"please fill out these forms and wait over there for us to call you."
"gulk, gulk, g...."
"oh I'm sorry sir, I forgot to mention, we're completely booked till next month, please make an appointment and come see us then"
"....."

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

As suprising as it sounds, it is HARD to get medical attention when you need it nowadays. I had the stomach flu and was dehydrated so bad I couldn't walk around for more than a few min before blacking out and ending up on the floor. I went to the local medical center just a block down taking it slow, and they turned me away saying "we don't have any open appointment slots for another 6 weeks". So in my mind I'm thinking, okay, let me get this straight, there's a person who can't keep down water, and who can't stand for more than a few minutes without blacking out and you're turning him away? It's almost like you have to schedule when you get sick 2 months in advance now.

Well, I ended up going to the ER, and they spent 2 hours doing paper work taking my blood pressure, taking temp, and then they told me to wait in the waiting room. I waited 4 hours before someone finally saw me, and they gave me a GLASS OF WATER! which I took a sip and promptly threw up and I don't quite remember what happened afterwards since I must've blacked out then, but I woke up sometime late in the afternoon (it was about noon when they saw me) hooked up to an IV. They gave me 2 and 1/2 bags of IV and sent me home. Though I felt much better it was like they were brooming me out when time for discharge came.

What is wrong with the medical system these days...

I can just imagine some guy coming in with a stab wound in the kneck
"ggllelp, gmmee..."
"please fill out these forms and wait over there for us to call you."
"gulk, gulk, g...."
"oh I'm sorry sir, I forgot to mention, we're completely booked till next month, please make an appointment and come see us then"
"....."

That's pretty much what they did to me. I went in there coughing so hard I couldn't breath and was turning blue and couldn't catch my breath. They told me it wasn't life threatening and I had to pay them before they would see me... I walked out and now I'm about 4 times worse then I was

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have those ear drops, use them!! They are antibiotic ear drops or the numbing ones which will help either way.
ERs are for the birds.I went by ambulance for hemorraging and had to sit out in the waiting room for an hour and a half before I was seen.I told them if I made a mess on their seats,I WASN'T cleaning it off.
Also, when I had an Ovarian cyst burst..........my regualr Dr told me to go to the ER. He called there after a bit and asked to speak to me.I had been there for 2 hours........in so much pain I couldn't move.He told me my appendix was most likely getting ready to rupture based on some blodd test he had done.I handed the phone to the Triage nurse and with in 5 mintues I in a room with 3 Drs looking at me.I was admitted and had surgury the next day to remove my appendix and check out the cyst.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

If you have those ear drops, use them!! They are antibiotic ear drops or the numbing ones which will help either way.
ERs are for the birds.I went by ambulance for hemorraging and had to sit out in the waiting room for an hour and a half before I was seen.I told them if I made a mess on their seats,I WASN'T cleaning it off.
Also, when I had an Ovarian cyst burst..........my regualr Dr told me to go to the ER. He called there after a bit and asked to speak to me.I had been there for 2 hours........in so much pain I couldn't move.He told me my appendix was most likely getting ready to rupture based on some blodd test he had done.I handed the phone to the Triage nurse and with in 5 mintues I in a room with 3 Drs looking at me.I was admitted and had surgury the next day to remove my appendix and check out the cyst.
WOW! That sucks!
I just checked out the ear drops.. they are the numbing ones but they expired 3 months ago
So I trashed them.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't know. I know how hard it can be... but now would be a good time to get those papers started, at least.

What exactly are your symptoms? Maybe I can direct you to things OTC you can get.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

Thanks!
Luckily, I called the ER already and asked them if they would see me or not. They said they had never heard of anything like what the other ER did and seeing that I'm on medicaid they would be happy to see me and I wouldn't have to pay anything either. Not even for the prescription. As soon as I drop the kids off at school DH and I are going to go. THen we have to go over to my MIL and help her
Maybe I'll cough all over her and she'll get sick and stay outta my life for a few days.... I know... it's mean but that's a WHOLE OTHER THREAD!
LOL I don't like my MIL either... the feeling is mutual though.

I'm glad you found an ER that will take you... that is quite illegal what the other ER did. I see where they are coming from, but it's just wrong, if you ask me. We had a couple of private hospitals around here just not build an ER in their new facilities because of Medicaid patients (they decided they'd have a "cardiac care urgent clinic" instead) .
Ugh. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Maybe... just maybe... if there weren't so much red tape and paperwork to do to change docs, do this, do that for Medicaid, they wouldn't see so many Medicaid patients in the ER. It's so silly. I feel for you. I hope you get better soon!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't know. I know how hard it can be... but now would be a good time to get those papers started, at least.

What exactly are your symptoms? Maybe I can direct you to things OTC you can get.
It's a HORRIBLE cough... so hard you can't catch your breath and almost wet your pants. My ears are ringing when I move too fast. They wont "pop" and I get a shooting pain in my left ear every few mins. and I can't hardly hear out of my left ear. I have been taking a decongestant.. Contact severe cold and Nyquil at nite but none of it's helping...

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take some ibuprofen (Motrin) or naproxen (Aleve), and maybe some Robitussin cough gels. In my state, codeine cough syrups are availble behind-the-counter (you have to talk to the rph, but you don't need an rx). Ask your pharmacist if you can buy it OTC and take that instead of Robitussin cough gels. You might find that if you stop taking the decongestant completely, you will get worse... I know it doesn't feel like it's helping, but it's doing something at least.

Are you on any rx meds or do you have any medical conditions (PM me if you don't wanna post LOL)? The mineral oil is a good idea, too.

Are your coughs productive? Do you have greenish yellow mucus coming up when you cough, or is it dry? You don't want to take a suppressant during the day (you can at night) if it's green and yellow.... you want to get that stuff out of your lungs.

LOL Sorry, any questions, PM me.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is sounding like the ear infection I had my last semester in college. My ears refused to open and drain so I spent a weekend in the hospital (after doc saw me and ran tests. Luckily this was when I was still on parental insurance). Got tubes in the eardrums, the turbinate tissue cauterized (tissue in the back of your nose) and had the openings from my sinuses to the nose enlarged (naturally too small). Checked in on a Friday afternoon and went home on Sunday night, back in college on Monday with bruising on my face. I looked worse than I felt.

That cleared up my hearing (parents didn't have to yell at me and I could hear my profs) but about 2 months later I was back in the hospital for gall bladder surgery. Went to emergency late on a Sun. night and sat while mom checked in. Sat and sat and sat in the waiting room....... until I started moaning and heaving. Immediately an emesis basin was under my chin and a gurney was on it's way! One way to get quicker service I guess.

We'll all be there with ya tomorrow - virtually, of course - as you get checked out.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes the expiration date is ONLY the date when the Pharmacy can legally sell it.
My Sister works for a Drs office and she give me childrens Tylenol and Motrin all the time with expired dates.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crittersmom... I'm confused... sell what? (If I am reading what you typed correctly) you are right is illegal to sell expired meds from a pharmacy, and yes, doc offices often don't care about this law and they often give expired meds.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

This is sounding like the ear infection I had my last semester in college. My ears refused to open and drain so I spent a weekend in the hospital (after doc saw me and ran tests. Luckily this was when I was still on parental insurance). Got tubes in the eardrums, the turbinate tissue cauterized (tissue in the back of your nose) and had the openings from my sinuses to the nose enlarged (naturally too small). Checked in on a Friday afternoon and went home on Sunday night, back in college on Monday with bruising on my face. I looked worse than I felt.

That cleared up my hearing (parents didn't have to yell at me and I could hear my profs) but about 2 months later I was back in the hospital for gall bladder surgery. Went to emergency late on a Sun. night and sat while mom checked in. Sat and sat and sat in the waiting room....... until I started moaning and heaving. Immediately an emesis basin was under my chin and a gurney was on it's way! One way to get quicker service I guess.

We'll all be there with ya tomorrow - virtually, of course - as you get checked out.
Ugh, that sounds awful! It sounds like sinus surgery has come a long way since I saw my mom go through it. I bet her insurance won't pay for it. :pPPP