Food Question

jbfromwp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding my two 4 month old female kittens Felidae dry which they really like. I free feed as they are still growing. I quess when they reach one I will stop free feeding and measure. They weren't too crazy about Felidae wet food, so I tried Nutro Max Cat canned. They seem to like it, however I wanted to introduce a better quality wet food as I plan on feeding them more wet than dry when they are older. I currently give them wet in the a.m. and wet in the p.m. I have recently been adding other brand canned foods to their diet. I know I am supposed to gradually add the new foods over a weeks time until they are used to them but my question is, when I add new foods, should I add one at a time and can I eventually give them all of the different brands alternating ( for example, Wellness one day, Nutro Max Cat another, Merrick another, etc) or is it not a good idea to give them too much of a variety? I will continue feeding them Felidae Dry too.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I alternate daily, more or less. The Felidae and Innova I have are in the big 13 oz cans so I split that into four servings, and the Chicken Soup cans are split into two servings. With smaller cans like Nutro I alternate daily.

From what I've read, alternating between wet foods is not a problem with most cats. Mine certainly haven't shown any problems from it. When I give them a new wet food, I just feed it to them like normal in place of a regular food. It's not like the dry, where I took a week and a half to switch it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jbfromwp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naturestee

I alternate daily, more or less. The Felidae and Innova I have are in the big 13 oz cans so I split that into four servings, and the Chicken Soup cans are split into two servings. With smaller cans like Nutro I alternate daily.

From what I've read, alternating between wet foods is not a problem with most cats. Mine certainly haven't shown any problems from it. When I give them a new wet food, I just feed it to them like normal in place of a regular food. It's not like the dry, where I took a week and a half to switch it.
Thanks! That's good to know. I think I will alternate between 3 or 4 different types of wet food, so they don't get sick of getting the same brand.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I rotate about 10 brands and many flavors without trouble ... The only trouble could come if you give beef and fish alot and then through in a all lamb can

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I rotate about 10 brands and many flavors without trouble ... The only trouble could come if you give beef and fish alot and then through in a all lamb can
Okay, I give up. I'm curious about what kind of problem that could cause.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Okay, I give up. I'm curious about what kind of problem that could cause.
In my two it can cause diarrea ... they are so used to the normal rotation if I do something way different it causes trouble.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

In my two it can cause diarrea ... they are so used to the normal rotation if I do something way different it causes trouble.
Okay, you had me worried there. Canned lamb is part of my normal rotation, and none of the three have had any trouble.