Nelix - Sick Twice In Three Days - Lethargic

rowdyangel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

my 4 year old cat Nelix was sick on Friday and has been sick again today. On both occasions there was quite a lot of vomit and it was soon after eating - the vomit was undigested food both times.

Now he is very lethargic. He is curled up in his basket asleep at the moment but today he has been walking very slowly and making a pathetic whining noise. I've just put out some fresh food as my other cat wanted feeding. Nelix came out of his basket and walked as far as the kitchen door, then whined, turned round and headed back to his basket.

This is not like him at all. Usually as soon as he hears a can being opened he's the first cat there.

He's had spells like this before but not as bad. Me and my husband have said that we will see how he is tomorrow and then get him to the vets if he's still not eating.

I'm so worried about him. I feel so helpless as I don't know if he's in pain or anything.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Jayne

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure one of the mentors will be along here in a few to help with some advice.

for little Nelix and you, in the meantime.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a chance he is constipated? Has he been using the litter normally?

Sounds like my kitty Spyder when he was constipated. It can be serious if left untreated.

Sounds like a vet visit is in order ASAP.

cathyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is your kitty drinking water? If it were me I would get to the vet. They can easily become dehydrated which can cause all kinds of problems. Since this has been going on since Friday I really wouldn't wait any longer. Good luck and I hope it isn't anything serious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rowdyangel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

before I had chance to check back for any replies to my post, Nelix got worse during Sunday night and we had to take him to the emergency vet at 02:30 this morning. His ears were very hot and his breathing became laboured.

They took his temperature and listened to his chest. They suspect a viral infection (which isn't covered by his annual jabs) and he was also dehydrated. They took him in, got him onto a drip and asked us to ring back later this morning.

The vet said he was a lot brighter but still very poorly
. He has now been transferred to our own vet. They have taken blood samples today and he is still on a drip and is holding his own. We've got to ring back tomorrow to find out the results of the blood tests. His bowels are OK as he has passed motions. They have tried him with some food but he wasn't interested.

I'll keep you updated but in the meantime I'd be grateful if you could remember Nelix in your thoughts. My poor baby.

Jayne

Here is a picture of Nelix.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
({){){){){){Jayne & Nelix})})})})})})
I hope they can find out what's making poor Nelix ill and get it corrected quickly.

rowdyangel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I have very sad news. Nelix passed away during the night. The vet called me this morning to tell me. I'm totally devastated. My husband was already at work so I rang him. I was in such a state.

He told his boss that I was distraught because Nelix has died and he had to leave to come home. His boss said "Do you have to go?" How insensitive is that?

I also rang my boss at work to tell him that I wouldn't be in and told him the reason. He's not one for having symapthy for people when they lose a pet but I don't care.

The vet told us that the results of Nelix's blood test showed that he had cholangial hepatitis. We went to the vets and I wanted to see him. He just looked like he was asleep

I'm so gutted. Now our other cat, Thomas is looking around for Nelix.

Thanks for all your support. It has been very much appreciated.

Jayne

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG poor Nelix!! I'm so sorry for your loss.
(

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im so very sorry to hear this. My condolences to you. Rest in Peace Nelix.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear this today. Ne was certainly a very loved beautiful boy.

Play happy and free over the Bridge, Nelix.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
oh, no! i'm glad your boss was understanding, tho. Nelix - play happily over the bridge [look for Mouse!].
to you during this painful time...

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Your Nelix was a very beautiful boy.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss.

Sending lots of good vibes to Thomas.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rowdyangel

Thanks to everyone for your kind messages.

Here's a picture of our other cat Thomas. We are fussing over him like crazy and mkaing sure that he doesn't start pining and stop eating because he misses Nelix.

Thanks again.

Jayne

Thomas picture here: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...07-05_1321.jpg
Thomas is a very handsome boy! is he your only other cat? if so, you might consider getting him a new friend in a week or so.

rowdyangel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

Thomas is a very handsome boy! is he your only other cat? if so, you might consider getting him a new friend in a week or so.
Yes, Thomas is our only other cat. We do want to get another cat as it would be unfair for him to be left alone as he's always been with another cat, even before we had him.

However, we feel very guilty about getting another cat so soon after Nelix. We don't want to forget Nelix and we don't want to look as though we are replacing him. We felt the same when Bridget died and we got Thomas to keep Nelix company. It did make the grieving easier though.

I'm sure Nelix wouldn't want Thomas to be lonely.

Jayne

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rowdyangel

Yes, Thomas is our only other cat. We do want to get another cat as it would be unfair for him to be left alone as he's always been with another cat, even before we had him.

However, we feel very guilty about getting another cat so soon after Nelix. We don't want to forget Nelix and we don't want to look as though we are replacing him. We felt the same when Bridget died and we got Thomas to keep Nelix company. It did make the grieving easier though.

I'm sure Nelix wouldn't want Thomas to be lonely.

Jayne
i know. i was glad i already had Cable when my Mouse died. Pixel & Mouse were littermates, & i think Pixel would've really had difficulty being an 'only' cat. but i had adopted Cable only a couple of months earlier, so she wasn't even a 'new' cat.
don't feel guilty, tho
- you're doing it to help Thomas. & i agree - Nelix doesn't want Thomas to be lonely - or you to be lonely, either!