Hi I am new here.... is my cat pregnant?

jackandmolly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, my name is Morgan. I live in Sask, married with two kids and two cats. Jack and Molly are sister and brother and we got them bacj in June at around 8-9 weeks..... Now about a month or so ago this big black cat came into our yard I am assuming.... and now Molly wont go back out and I am SURe she is pregnant but I cant tell, first time having cats.. She meows everytime u touch her, always rolls onto her back, her nipples are a shade of pink.. But she is sooo affectionate...... I can take pics, but HOW do u know??? Our male cat we we are getting neutered on Wed so I guess we can take her with and see about it then.. How old can female cats be to get pregnant????

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am no expert at all..But I think anytime an un-neteured male and and unspayed female are around eachother..they will do what nature intended and mate...Chances are your girl is pregnant..either that or in heat.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JackandMolly

Hi there, my name is Morgan. I live in Sask, married with two kids and two cats. Jack and Molly are sister and brother and we got them bacj in June at around 8-9 weeks..... Now about a month or so ago this big black cat came into our yard I am assuming.... and now Molly wont go back out and I am SURe she is pregnant but I cant tell, first time having cats.. She meows everytime u touch her, always rolls onto her back, her nipples are a shade of pink.. But she is sooo affectionate...... I can take pics, but HOW do u know??? Our male cat we we are getting neutered on Wed so I guess we can take her with and see about it then.. How old can female cats be to get pregnant????
Welcome to TCS....cats can get pregnant as early as 4 months of age. There is a chance your girl is pregnant..however, only your vet will be able to tell you for sure. The signs you are describing could be her in heat as opposed to her being pregnant so for now you need to keep her strictly indoors and please let us know what your vet says.

Katie

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can become pregnant at 4-5 months old. If she is in contact with her brother and they are over 5 months, you can almost guarentee she is pregnant but it would be by her own brother. If she happens to not be pregnant, her brother can still get her pregnant for a months after he is neutered. So I would either spay the female or else keep them seperated from right now on until a month after he is neutered. Once she is spayed she will be fine.

Please do not ever let an unspayed cat outdoors. She can and will get pregnant almost immediately when she comes into contact with an intact male. The biggest problem besides the overpopulation problem is that you have no idea if the male cat is carrying any diseases or anything. He could be sick and impregnate your cat who will get sick too as well as pass it to all her babies.

Hehe so the bottom line here is, it is hard to tell if the cat is prego without a vet visit. You do not want her having babies by her own brother so I would take her to be spayed and hold off on the male if money is an issue here.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Females can get pregnant any time after about 5 months old - maybe sooner if they come into heat and a male gets to her. I'd take them both into the vet - have the male kitten done and you still can spay her even if she's pregnant.

The nipples getting bright pink is one of the signs of pregnancy. She's far too young to have kittens - you risk complications and her own health. Better to get her done now, then to let her have the babies. You might wind up losing both the babies AND her!

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey there fellow saskatchwanian *waves*. You're girl could definately be preggers. Just take her with you to the vet when you go get the boy done. That would probably be best for her.

Thank you for taking care and getting your boy neutered!!

Do you know anything about spay-aborts???

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Definately take her to the vet. If she's bot preggers then you should get her spayed. Also, remember, the male cat is capable of getting the female pregnant for as long as a month after getting neutered. so, be sure to keep them seperated after the surgery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jackandmolly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well the girl costs 200 to get neutered and we are waiting, the boy is getting done today, thank god.... So we will see what happens....

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Well the girl costs 200 to get neutered and we are waiting, the boy is getting done today, thank god.... So we will see what happens....
Make sure you keep him away from your girl until she can be fixed..also you may want to see if there are any low cost options for you. And definately keep her confined indoors.

Katie

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You should check on the web and see if you can find a spay coupon for Canada. I got one for in the US and it only cost me $35 to neuter my cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jackandmolly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well he is getting totally casterated so I am sure nothing will happen when he gets home today plus the vet is taking alook at her today, will update u!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

well he is getting totally casterated so I am sure nothing will happen when he gets home today plus the vet is taking alook at her today, will update u!
Actually....male cats carry active sperm for about a month after they have been neutered. I would certainly take precautions.

It can take a month for all the male hormones to lessen, and in fact, a newly neutered male can still impregnate a female, as there are still sperm left that have not died off yet. So if there are females in heat around, a newly neutered cat will still think he can get some action due to the male hormones still being strong. And it also takes about a month, sometimes less, for the male urine to not be so potent.

Katie