cat IN the VENT!!!!!

witchcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OH NO OUR CAT SOCKS GOT INTO THE HEATING VENTS HOW DO I GET HIM OUT???????????

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does he have a favorite food he will come for? If so then put it at the opening where he got in and when he comes out block it off. If not a food, then a toy that you can make some noise with to attract him or something like that.
Good Luck!

thehouseofgods

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ahaha my cats come running from anywhere in our house at the sound of a temptations bag full of treats.... maybe throw some in to him and get his attention by shaking the bag.. hope everything works out...

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure that the heat is turned off. Try to tempt him out by putting some food near the vent (or shaking a treat bag), and then leave him be. He may come out on his own, but he probably won't if he has an audience. How steep is the drop into the vent? My only big concern would be that he may not be able to climb up, in which case you would want to call a professional who deals with duct work.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If its an older cat and not a kitten, fav food or tuna or something like that might intice him out.

We had 5 week old barn kittens get into the heating ducts - they were not tamed at the time - totally scared. We had our smallest son have to go in a narrow space and undo the heating vents and pass the kittens to another person. Talk about a nitemare!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Cat Smokey (RIP) got into the vet system while we were renovateing we banged on the ductwork until it shared him out. He was a little rattled later but it got him out quicker than waiting

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

witchcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No he still has not come out,
it's been a week but he meows all night so we know he's alive.
We are going to have to call a proffessional soon. We've gotten salmon and tuna, put a flash light down there so he can see but still nothing.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't wait any longer! He's 'lost' and all the food smells in the world won't help at this point, but without food, he'll get weaker and weaker. He may even be stuck somehow and you have to get help. Call the fire dept. - they know about these things and have ways to deal with it, and if not, they'll know who else to call (plumber, electrician, engineer). Don't assume he can get out on his own - he would have by now if he could!

evepie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Don't wait any longer! He's 'lost' and all the food smells in the world won't help at this point, but without food, he'll get weaker and weaker. He may even be stuck somehow and you have to get help. Call the fire dept. - they know about these things and have ways to deal with it, and if not, they'll know who else to call (plumber, electrician, engineer). Don't assume he can get out on his own - he would have by now if he could!
please please please follow this advice
i'm all worried & upset now

sending good }}}vibes{{{ your way

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by evepie

please please please follow this advice
i'm all worried & upset now

sending good }}}vibes{{{ your way
Me too!!! Poor kitty. You can bet he will be hiding scared for a few days after this ordeal.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he has been there for a week with no food or water, he is in serious condition. You need to get him out immediately.

cathyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From the dates of your post it's been longer than a week...nine days. That is WAY too long without food and water. I know I wouldn't want to go that long without food and water. The cat has got to be starving by now and if he could have gotten out to the food he would have by now. He is obviously lost or stuck and you need to call someone in immediately to get him out. I would get a heat and air company out asap!

evepie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i honestly can't believe it's been left this long..9 days????..i would have called the services within hours of the cat having got in the vent....how on earth have you been able to sleep at night? i don't mean to be horrible but come on...to me this is just madness!
please please please get this poor cat out of there or he will die!

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by evepie

i honestly can't believe it's been left this long..9 days????..i would have called the services within hours of the cat having got in the vent....how on earth have you been able to sleep at night? i don't mean to be horrible but come on...to me this is just madness!
please please please get this poor cat out of there or he will die!
I agree, there's NO way I would have let this go on for so long either.

I sure hope you've gotten him by now or at the very least called for help.

witchcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanx we will be calling someone today!

witchcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he's had food, he does come out, but he goes back down, because when we hear him and come back upstairs he doesn't appreciate the audience.

whisper2me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you know someone with a pet bird, ask if you can borrow the bird and the cage for a few days. Hang the cage up in the room where the kitten is hiding far enough away from the vent so he has to travel to the bird, put cat food below the cage, a litter box off to the side and another spot for the kitten to hide in- a covered litter pan with padding inside, a cardboard box with padding draped with a dark cloth. If not a bird, use a hamster, ferret or other such pet, keeping them in their cage. The noise of the small bird or rodent will trigger the cat's instinctive predatory nature. He should come out pretty quickly. Either stay in the room immobile until he does come into view and then when he is far enough away from the vent hurry over and block the vent.

Once he is out, get him to the vet immediately and have them do blood levels to be sure he is all right.