I just got hit!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was starting to pull into a gas station that is open 24/7 right behind this car and all of a sudden, they start to back up and run right smack into me! I couldn't even back up becauce there was a car behind me in the lane I was in so I either hit them or let the car hit me.
The kicker is, the girl, high school aged, gets out tells me "oh gosh I'm so sorry I didn't even see you". Comeon, I was blaring my horn the whole time and you didn't see me!? Now she is coming from Homecoming, and she calls her daddy, and when the police show up her whole story changes. She tells them that she hit me within the driveway of the station, (thus saving her from a ticket because it's on private property) but I tell them the truth saying that it was outside on the street right before the curb. Since our stories are conflicting, the policeman just took our information and basically told me that I'd have to call my insurance company and let them "hash it out". I shouldn't have moved my car! I am so angry! How could I have been so stupid!!? Now I don't even know if they are going to pay for my bumper to be fixed or not. It's not like I screamed whiplash or anything, I just want my car fixed. I feel like an idiot. I should've blocked traffic until the police came, but I wanted to just get it done and recitifed. I am to stupidly trusting, and thought that the girl would've told the truth. Silly me. What a dope I am!
Sorry for venting. I'm just angry at the outcome of this, if I don't get my car fixed, I'll be livid!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw Barb!!!
That is a supreme bummer. Getting your car whacked is bad enough, but to have the twerp changing her story at the critical moment is a total
-off! Hope for witnesses. Hope for an adjuster who can read the signs and tell she's lying. And thank your lucky stars that you at least were not hurt -- you weren't, were you? didn't sound like it. And meanwhile, rant and rave and vent all you like. It'll relieve the stress a bit, if it does nothing else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Fran,
No not hurt, My passenger either. Just ticked off. I KNOW her daddy had something to do with it. He seemed to be a conniving person. I called Brad and had him come down so I wouldn't have to deal with him by myself. I am thankful noone was hurt on either part, I am just upset that I have to deal with this crap because that girl lied to the officer taking the statements to get herself out of a ticket!

vampirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dont your gas stations have CCTV? Most of ours in the Uk have them, might be worth asking at the garage. Someone may even have seen what really happended?

My hubby got knocked of his bike by a woman who was all apologetic same thing as you 'i didnt see you, my fault'. Then when it comes down to who pays the damage (bike was wrecked, Pete was ok tho') she lied to try and get out of it.

Fortunately Pete had witnesses and her insurance company held her responsible.

It does sound suspiciously like her father had something to do with the change of attitude
probably realised how much her insurance would go up.

Makes the blood boil !

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All is not lost - just cuz she didn't get a ticket, she DID admit to hitting you and her ins. will be liable. did you get the names of any witnessess?? Having a passenger will help you. Also, if you do get any soreness, etc. be sure to document it - at the time, your adrenaline kicks in and it may take up to a week for soft-tissue injury to show up. If you can afford it, go to your regular doctor as soon as you can, for a check-up.
When I had my afternoon car accident in 1998, I didn't realize how hurt I was till the middle of the night. And even then, I was able to drive myself to the hospital although I had some nerve damage that made it difficult to depress the clutch in my car, and I stalled it in the intersection and then had to continue the rest of the way in 2nd gear. It turns out that I had sprained my mid-back; I have bulging disks in C5-C7; the energy of the crash went through my seatbelt and tore the ligaments that hold my shoulder blade to my ribs; and the seatbelt also caused a severe bruise on my right breast that 2 years later developed into a mass that causes periodic pain and bleeding. I'm not trying to scare you, just letting you know that you have to have an open mind (I'm sending prayers that it's just the car that's damaged, cause cars can be repaired/replaced - it takes valuable time to heal).

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sadly I learned long ago not to trust anyone you get in an accident with. people will be all nice and say all kinds of things at the time, and then turn around and give the cops and their insurance a whole different story :/ Hope they pay to fix your car xx

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Majorly sucks! Hopefully the police and insurance adjustors will see through her lie and, even if they don't, I'm sure it'll come back to bite her in the butt somehow! Just feel good knowing that you told the truth and did the right thing!!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't understand something.... Why wouldn't her insurance company have to pay to repair your car, if it happened on the gas stations property, instead of the street? I wouldn't think it would matter, either way. She hit you, and so she's responsible for the repairs.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I don't understand something.... Why wouldn't her insurance company have to pay to repair your car, if it happened on the gas stations property, instead of the street? I wouldn't think it would matter, either way. She hit you, and so she's responsible for the repairs.
The officer told me that I had to call my insurance company, tell them what happened and because her story conflicted with mine, my insurance would have to go after hers to get it to pay the repairs. I'm not sure if this means her insurance co will or not. I just wanted my car repaired. Why can't people be honest? It chaps my butt when people lie!
No witnesses, except the passengers in both cars. It was late at night and even the people working didn't see it. I got the officers card so I can give that to my insurance company to talk with him though. Maybe he can give a judgement call. I don't know.
I feel fine so far. She didn't hit me that hard. Shoot it didn't do anything to her car, just mine! OOOOOO! it ticks me off that people can't be honest.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

no witnesses. I wish there were. what a pain in the butt.
That totally sucks..Don't worry though, these things have a way of working out for the person that deserves it

By the way, for anyone that reads this..as an insurance agent, I can't stress enough how important it is to stick around if you EVER witness an accident. Witnesses are so important and you're really helping the people out..If witnesses don't stick around and give their info, its only one persons word against anothers, and alot of the time claims get settled unfairly because no witnesses gave a statement. It is VERY important when determining fault sometimes. So, please, if you ever see an accident..just quickly run over and give your phone number. You will really be helping someone out.

Sorry for the schpiel, but alot of people don't know how important that is.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes - good luck with that. I see it all the time at work - people changing their stories so they won't have to have their insurance pay for it.

Your insurance companies will have to hack it out, you might have to pay your deductible after you get it fixed, but you'll probly get that back after they realize it was the other parties fault.

Good luck

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. If you could spare a few get her car fixed by the brats insurance company it'd really be appreciated.
Hey Trout? If your in an accident, should you move your car before the police come or wait for them to get there even if you're blocking traffic? I'm wondering because if I hadn't moved my car, the police would've seen where she hit me and there'd be no question about what happened.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks everyone. If you could spare a few get her car fixed by the brats insurance company it'd really be appreciated.
Hey Trout? If your in an accident, should you move your car before the police come or wait for them to get there even if you're blocking traffic? I'm wondering because if I hadn't moved my car, the police would've seen where she hit me and there'd be no question about what happened.
If noone is injured, you should move your car out of traffic..I don't know how it works there, but here you are supposed to drive to a reporting center and report it there..you guys don't have that there??

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not that I'm aware of.
All I did(well Brad did, I was upset and angry) was call the police but since we moved the cars, he said(the cop) that he didn't have any evidence of where the accident actually took place, so we'd have to have our insurance companies "hash it out".
That's why I asked.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not that I'm aware of.
All I did(well Brad did, I was upset and angry) was call the police but since we moved the cars, he said(the cop) that he didn't have any evidence of where the accident actually took place, so we'd have to have our insurance companies "hash it out".
That's why I asked.
This is why pictures are so helpful.

I always have a disposible camera in my glove compartment, so if anything like this happens, and we need to move the cars - you can take photos to ensure you won't get the raw end of the deal.
A lot of body shops give these to customers after the repairs are done. Its a little kit with a disposible camera, contact sheets (ins. company/body shop/tow company) and all that stuff. You can also buy them in stores (the kits)

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to get one when I go shopping this afternoon. I guess I always thought that cameras don't work well in extereme temps that's why I never put one in my glove box. Because it's always either hot or cold in my car. Ah the great IA weather!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm going to get one when I go shopping this afternoon. I guess I always thought that cameras don't work well in extereme temps that's why I never put one in my glove box. Because it's always either hot or cold in my car. Ah the great IA weather!
Thats true, same here in MN!

I always carry my digital with me in my purse too.

I really hope this all works out for you