Originally Posted by meow meow
Keep your toilets very clean (and flushed) and don't worry about it. Our cat growing up drank from the toilet and lived 19 years without an illness. My sister's cats would ONLY drink from the toilet and never a bowl.
My cat rarely drinks from his bowl -- usually the faucet, toilet or, to me this is the most gross, the track of the shower door after we take a shower.
Sorry, but I don't agree with that. Personally I think it's appalling to allow an animal to drink out of a toilet bowl no matter how clean we may think it is
. I wouldn't let my cats drink out of anything that I didn't deem clean enough for me to drink out of too. And while I keep my toilet clean, I sure wouldn't be dipping in a cup each time I wanted a drink of water! A toilet has nooks and crannies and can harbour bacteria and/or cleaning chemicals, and even the smallest amount can cause illness or even death because bacteria are hardy and multiple.
Bacteria are the oldest known living organisms on earth, and some are billions of years old and can survive extreme temperatures of heat and cold...and chemicals.
If you don't drink out of your toilet, you might want to ask yourself the reasons why, and then apply those same reasons to your pets.