cat is losing weight fast (a pound in 2 days)

darla s

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had this cat to 2 vets since June. One I have seen twice. He had inflammation in his mouth. He weighs just over 5 lbs. now. He tested negative for leukemia and aids. He is just skin and bones. I have tried everything. Nutri-cal and hand-feeding him. He is a feral cat so he never liked me very much. He falls when he tries to walk. He is off-balance when standing or trying to clean himself. What is this? Does anyone know?

He is on an iv at a new vets. He is severely dehydrated. No fever. He is alert. I am scared and don't want to lose him.

Thanks for any help

valkerie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
how is your young man?
there could be a number of reasons for weight loss? is there any thing else other then weight loss,dehydration?
sending get well {{{vibes}}} lots of get well soon {{{vibes}}}

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't
have any answeres for you. Just wanted to send some healing vibes to your cat. And a hug
for you.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be dehydration and it also could be lack of food. If he is a feral, do you think you could get some baby meats like beef, and put in out where he can lick it? He won't have to chew anything. You might want to add a drop or two of water to see if you can get some fluids into him. I am so sorry.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Water with cream in it is useful and most cats do like it. Lactose-free cream if you arent sure he stands for milk.

Forcefeeding (with a "syringe") may be useful. Liquid and food made liquid.

Homemade pedialyte feks.

But as it sounds as now, it doesnt sound good... Im sorry.

My best wishes are with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darla s

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

I don't
have any answeres for you. Just wanted to send some healing vibes to your cat. And a hug
for you.
I am just waiting for blood work to come back. I am so scared. I visited him today so he wouldn't think I had just abandoned him. He looks so sad with his big blue eyes. I am wondering if he can see very good though. He seems to bump into things. I don't know I am confused. Thanks for all the vibes, prayers, and responses. It helps. He still has hope in his eyes and I don't think he is giving up and I sure won't. I just hope I hear from the vet fast. This is so hard.

darla s

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Believe me I have tried everything. When I took him to the vet I was so embarrassed because he had gravy, tuna, cat food and water all over him. I didn't take time to clean him up. Plus he really didn't feel like being disturbed. My little girl and I have been praying like crazy. The vet did ask me if I wanted another leukemia test. Is it normal for the tests to show negative and it be wrong? Thanks for the info. You obviously try everything like me when you just don't know what to do. ( I told the vet I gave him gravy when I knew it wasn't good for him) but you know, he lapped some of it up.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't feel guilty about giving him gravy. When they are sick and not eating, the important thing is to try to get something into them.

It sounds like you are doing all you can for the poor guy. Is he at the vet now? If so, I would thing he would put in a feeding tube and and hydrate him, (subq?), I think that is the right term. I'm really pretty dumb about these things.

Our ferals can be quite the tough little guys and don't give up easily. You and your little fur guy are in my thoughts for a full and fast recovery.

Please keep us posted about how he's doing.
{({({({({({({({(healing vibes)})})})})})})})}

darla s

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes they have him on an IV but not sure what kind. I visited him yesterday but today is Sunday. I wanted to see him so bad in case things get worse.He is so scared. He don't really like people. He is a very wild cat when healthy. Thanks for your thoughts and kind words. I am calling the vet today but I don't know if he will let me see him. I will let you know what is going on. I don't have much time. Does anyone? I have a colony of ferals and 4 kids and 1 grandbaby. No time for anything else. Thanks once again.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im thinking. If the vets really dont know what it is, and dont have really good medication program - and he IS severly sick.

It is perhaps time.

Another aspect is it is probably not for free. And you are probably not made of money. It is one thing to pay for a good chance to get him through. But pay for long prolonged dying as he seems to be as you write it?

Im so sorry. This is diffcult thoughts and very difficult decisions. And a no decision is also a decision.

My thoughts this Yom Kippur night are with you and this cat.

God help you both, and the veterinarians in charge.

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have they done a urinalysis? If not, you might want to ask them to do that. Sounds like possible diabetes. I am so sorry you both are going through this. Sending hugs, prayers and warm, healing vibes your way.

darla s

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet called me Sunday morning and said Casper had eaten bits and drank a little. The hope in this little cats eyes keep me hoping too.
Maybe I am crazy but I can't let him go without a fight. I love all my cats even if they hiss and growl at me. They have a right to be scared. They have seen brothers and sisters attacked and killed dogs. People chasing them around and throwing at them. Of course the people get it from me if I see them do it.

I have a cat fence now and a building to keep them safe. I just hope my little Casper lives to see it.

Thanks for prayers and good thoughts everyone

darla s

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes he is checking his kidney function and lots of other stuff. He said something about one kidney was a lot larger. Smart you are. Thanks

krispie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have they checked his Liver function? My baby just went through a liver infection. He went from 10 lbs to under 7 in just a few days. He was very weak and dehydrated too. Hoping for all the best with your baby.

darla s

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Everything seems to be checking out okay. He has some infection and is a little anemic. The vet said liver and kidney function is good. He is eating and drinking some now. I can't help but cry. I just read about little Napoleon. I am so sad for Jenny. It is so hard. You do everything and still feel guilty. I still have hope but that really scared me. Thanks for prayers and concern from everyone. I am trying to think of what I could write to her to make her feel better, but I'm not sure anything would.

darla s

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valkerie

how is your young man?
there could be a number of reasons for weight loss? is there any thing else other then weight loss,dehydration?
sending get well {{{vibes}}} lots of get well soon {{{vibes}}}
The vet said he is eating and drinking now, but he still is very weak. We are still waiting on some of the blood work. He is a little anemic and they are waiting for him to have a bowel movement. They want a sample. They thought maybe parasites or a blockage. Really the vet just has no idea. He is really trying at least. Not like the vet that told me to feed him anything he would eat cause it would probably be his last meal.

darla s

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They said everything checked out okay. Blood work showed he was a little anemic and his white blood count was a little high. Probably from the mouth infection.

I asked if he could possibly be blind. He bumps into things and when he comes close to anything it scares him to death. The assistant to the vet told me she suspected he could see a little but not much.

Now I don't know what to do.He is eating and drinking on his own now,but he doesn't have any control over his body. It is sad. I am not giving up on him. He is so lovable. Hope your kitty is okay now.

krispie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am glad he is doing a little better. Keep after the vet to see if you can get the answers you need. And in the meantime, enjoy all the time you have with your baby. Unfortunately, I had to have Hoggie put down this last week.
The liver infection he had turned out to be secondary to cancer and he just couldn't gain any weight. At least he got to be home the last few weeks and he was happy even though he was very weak. Sending out all the good vibes I can for recovery.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Darla S

They said everything checked out okay. Blood work showed he was a little anemic and his white blood count was a little high. Probably from the mouth infection.

I asked if he could possibly be blind. He bumps into things and when he comes close to anything it scares him to death. The assistant to the vet told me she suspected he could see a little but not much.

Now I don't know what to do.He is eating and drinking on his own now,but he doesn't have any control over his body. It is sad. I am not giving up on him. He is so lovable. Hope your kitty is okay now.
It is sounding a bit better - especially if the blood work is fairly ok. He doesn't have a fever does he?

I had a kitty that went blind, and I did a lot of research about that - if he can be in a controlled environment, and if you're with him and you always talk to him, that will help. And if he's alone at the house leave the tv or radio on. But that is premature, I'm just hoping he will go inside with you...???

Also - do you think the blindness is new? That would make me think diabetes, too. Also, unfortunately FIP. And I really hope it isn't that. Best of hugs and vibes to you and your kitty! Thanks for taking him in - I took in a feral/stray and I love her so much!

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DarlaS-

Just wondering if Casper could have a severe ear infection. You mentioned his balance is off and it seems that he can't see well. My oldest kitty suddenly lost her balance, as well as about a pound of weight in less than a week. It turned out that she had a middle-inner ear infection that affected her balance to the point that she'd actually fall while trying to walk. She was burning up calories like crazy because her body was fighting the infection. The neurologist who diagnosed this condition prescribed an antibiotic called Zeniquin. Though my girl had a setback about two weeks into the treatment, she steadily got better, and began to regain her weight.
Her infection is chronic, which unfortunately isn't unusual, so she remains on Zeniquin.

There's another condition, called vestibular disease. It's kind of odd, since it most often occurs in the fall and can come on suddenly. Meds are usually not prescribed for this since it clears up by itself in about a month, but it affects balance as well.

It's worthwhile asking your vet about the possibility of some type of neurological disorder - but I'm a little surprised he wouldn't have mentioned that to you given that Casper as you say, doesn't seem to have control over his body movements. The ideal situation is to have Casper seen by a feline neurologist.

You are *wonderful* to stick by your little guy through all this and I very much admire your positive attitude. I'm glad you're fighting for him. You're truly this little guy's best friend.