Finickiness or something else going on?

eagleeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what Lusa (about 3 months old) likes to eat in wet food. There are times she seems to love what I feed her, other times not. I've fed her a variety of brands so far, Innova Evo, Natural Balance, Nutro Max, Castor and Pollux, Nature's Variety, and Solid Gold. She'll usually eat the first can or two of a new food and then pick at the next one. Then I try another brand, and so on. The only thing I can figure out is that she seems to prefer seafood flavors over poultry/beef.

Is hopping from brand to brand just making her finicky? Or does she just need a lot of variety? Is she bored? Do I have a diva in the making?

Thank you!

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EagleEye

She'll usually eat the first can or two of a new food and then pick at the next one. Then I try another brand, and so on. The only thing I can figure out is that she seems to prefer seafood flavors over poultry/beef.

Is hopping from brand to brand just making her finicky? Or does she just need a lot of variety? Is she bored? Do I have a diva in the making?

Thank you!
Sounds to me like she enjoys a variety since she does eat a new one when you first put it down.

My picky ones will simply turn their little noses up at something they don't like and refuse to touch it.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could try unspoiling her by using the eat or go hungry approach. As long as the cat is eating some food on a daily basis it won't do any harm. I think cats, like people, have fluctuations in their appetite levels and sometimes eat more and sometimes eat less. My cat Rosie has done this too. Don't worry, as long as your cat is maintaining her weight. If you find yourself wasting food you could try feeding a little less at one meal and you may find she wants to eat more at the next meal.

I tend to find myself throwing away more canned food than dry food, and although I know that wet food is better for cats, this is the reason I have to include some dry food, because my cats will eat that when they're hungry, but the wet food can't stay out as long and whether or not they eat it is going to depend on their appetite and/ or how much they like what I put down for them.

I just went back and reread your post, Your cat is 3 months old, she's growing, she needs all the food she can get. Feed her whatever cat food she seems to like the most, but not too much seafood, that could be a bad habit, especially if it's tuna.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
If she's not experiencing any stomach problems from constantly switching brands, I'd say give her a lot of variety to keep her eating wet food. My imp won't eat the same brand more than twice a week, and the half-imps (they live at my neighbor's, but eat here) have now followed suit. Food producers will tell you that you should stick to one brand, but they benefit from brand loyalty. One big advantage of feeding a variety of foods is that it'll be much easier on you and your cat if a prescription food has to be given some time down the road, or a food suddenly becomes unavailable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eagleeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everone! I appreciate your replies. Since she's still growing the pickiness does worry me. She's going to the vet again tomorrow and we'll get a weight. The last weight (2 weeks ago) was 2 lbs 9 ozs and the vet seemed happy. I don't like to leave wet food down for long, either. I'll stick to the rotating the varieties since she doesn't seem to have any digestive problems with it.