Any good food at WalMart?

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here is my situation: I live in Puerto Rico, and in the particular area I live there are hardly any pet shops. I have never seen Canidae, TWO, or any other premium foods. I am currently feeding my two dogs Purina One and they are well on their way to switching to Kirkland Super Premium Kibble.

My question is, are there any decent cat foods at WalMart? I got a small bag of Whiskas, but when I went home and looked at the ingredients I was shocked. Im taking it back today.

Is there anything slightly good that I can feed my new kitten? I havent gotten her yet and I want to be prepared!

apric0t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wal Mart sells a pretty decent food called Natural Life. I know they have canned formulas, but I'm not 100% sure if they have dry formulas. I think they do, though. The canned food is REALLY good. I have actually used it myself with fosters. Great ingredients.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I understand the Meow Mix pouches are pretty good quality and they go over well with most cats.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Walmarts sell the Purina and Meow Mix Indoor Formula Dry, which works really well for our fluffalorium. They also have Fancy Feast with Greens cans, which are good and the cats LOVE them!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Natural life is found in most walmarts ... the dry is so so ( no by products or pres.) has soy wheat and corn ... The wets are great ... Meow mix is decent ...

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also use the Natural Life canned, and really like it, but as was said, the dry is just so so. I used a brand called Maxximum Kitten formula, because I liked it better than the Kitten Chow, if for no other reason than the first ingredient is chicken.
. My foster kitten seemed to do fine on it and the Natural Life canned chicken. Hope that helps- I don't really remember what else was in the Maxximum, just that it was the "lesser of two evils"

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat eats Fancy Feast, and Walmart has the best prices in town. We got a sample in the mail of the new Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys. It was a bust. Dusty took one sniff and walked away. She prefers the chicken, beef and fish flavors of the "Gormet Feast." She's got a discriminating palate.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of your available choices, I would recommend going with Natural Life, preferably wet. I wonder if mail order would be a possibility from a cat food supplier outside your area?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra

Of your available choices, I would recommend going with Natural Life, preferably wet. I wonder if mail order would be a possibility from a cat food supplier outside your area?
I agree, though you could alternate with the Meow Mix pouches (not the dry). I'd certainly check out Internet suppliers (I get almost all my cat food that way).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our WalMart carrys Iams (dog and cat) and since our cats were raised on Iams - that is what we get.

Our Costco wharehouse (like Sam's Club) carrys the Kirkland brands - we get the Kirkland Chicken/Rice for the dog and we've used the cat food for our outside barn cats.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I agree, though you could alternate with the Meow Mix pouches (not the dry). I'd certainly check out Internet suppliers (I get almost all my cat food that way).

The only halfway decent places here for pet supplies and food are a Pet Supplies Plus and a small feed store and I pretty much live in a Nine Lives and Friskies town.

Consequently, when I shop for cat food I've often found the few better quality brands available don't seem to be all that fresh. I buy most of my food at PetFoodDirect because it's the only place I can find the natura and Felidae products with reasonable prices and they usually have coupons that will cut down the cost of shipping to me drastically.

I love online shopping!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tru

The only halfway decent places here for pet supplies and food are a Pet Supplies Plus and a small feed store and I pretty much live in a Nine Lives and Friskies town.

Consequently, when I shop for cat food I've often found the few better quality brands available don't seem to be all that fresh. I buy most of my food at PetFoodDirect because it's the only place I can find the natura and Felidae products with reasonable prices and they usually have coupons that will cut down the cost of shipping to me drastically.

I love online shopping!
So do I! I buy in bulk, for myself, some neighbors and colleagues, and the local shelter, so I get free shipping and quantity discounts. Since I'm such a loyal customer, the online suppliers I buy from (several) also make me aware of specials, and send a lot of free samples. Last month I got a huge package of litter, canned food, dry food, and treats from one supplier for free.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats like the Meow Mix pouches as well-and Walmart sells them for pretty cheap. I buy them when I can't afford my usual canned/pouched food.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must add, I have learned....do not give the kitten fancy feast elegant medley's....they will LOVE it, but they will have the stinkiest, most disgusting, paint peeling, green haze of a hiney you have ever seen, or smelled rather!
I am switching my baby off of it, and back to kitten even though he loves it, cause he was so ripe he actually made me gag!

catitudes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two cans of Natural Life, but haven't fed it yet. Here are the contents of the two:

Lamaderm Feline

Lamb
Lamb broth
Lamb liver
Kidney
Ground brown rice
Peas
Carrots
etc

Ocean Fish & Veggie Platter

Ocean fish broth
Ocean fish
Chicken liver
Chicken
Tuna
Ground brown rice
Peas
Carrots
etc
The only thing that concerns me with the Lamaderm Feline is the kidney entry, since it doesn't state the source. Is it lamb kidney, chicken kidney or what? I need to email the company on that one.

However, the fish formula looks good, especially considering the low calorie level at 159 calories per 5.5 oz. can (assuming my calculations are correct). This one would come in handy for overweight kitties.

In both cases, carbs don't appear on the ingredients list until the 5th or 6th listing, which I find to be a good thing.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I definately recommend Maxximum(it's the walmart brand). I compared it to all the other brand they sold at walmart and from what I can tell it actually seems to be better than all of them. I started giving it to my cat and it actually got rid of her gas. I love it and my cats do too! They sell an adult, indoor formula that is made with all natural ingredients and it also doesn't have any artificail coloring either. You should really try it, it's good and inexpensive too!

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you like a good smelling house than I wouldn't recommend getting any foods with fish or fish oil in them. Supposedly it make the cat's poo smell worse and can give them gas. It makes sense, I mean, cats in the wild don't eat fish.(except the Fishing Cat, LOL!)